My oh my, this is our favorite Crockpot Chicken Tortilla soup recipe. It is so easy to make, and very frugal friendly. This soup really stretches your chicken because you don’t need much and it is packed with protein from the beans. Use items you have in your pantry to make this dish in minutes. Just toss everything in the crockpot and by evening your house will be filled with the delicious smell of Chicken tortilla soup! YUM!
Anyone can make this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
To make this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla soup even less inexpensive, make your own canned beans instead of buying them. We actually cook our beans in the crockpot, and then I freeze them into “cans”. It is an easy way to save money.
OK, back to the recipe! This recipe is perfect for a chilly day, but to be honest, we like it anytime of the year. It is so simple and very gentle on your wallet. 😉
- 2 boneless chicken beasts (can be frozen)
- 1 can of black beans (can you your homemade frozen ones)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 cup of corn
- 2 cups of water (you can use chicken broth -I normally toss in a bouillon cube)
- 1 Tsp Chili powder
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- ½ Tsp of Garlic Salt
- Salt to taste (You will need more salt, if you are using beans you made, rather than the canned)
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Toss everything in your crockpot (not including chips, cheese, and cilantro) in the morning. Cook on low all day (6 to 8 hours). Once cooked, shred chicken and place back into the crockpot. Stir.
- To Serve, spoon into a bowl, top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro if you have it. Make sure you let your kids do the chip crushing, because that is the best part with this dinner. My kids love it!
It is one of the easiest dinners and one of our family’s favorites. Enjoy!
Here are some other delicious Crock Pot Recipes to try.