How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Homemade vanilla buttercream frosting is delicious and way better than store bought icing. However, people tend to think making your own icing is difficult. Surprisingly simple and inexpensive to make this buttercream recipe is the perfect filling and icing for layered cakes , or topping your favorite cupcake recipe. Layer a thin icing on brownies or fill a couple cookies to make a yummy treat.
Homemade Buttercream Icing can take an inexpensive box cake mix from ordinary to over the top. You could also use it to finish off your own cake recipe.
Substitute Almond, Hazelnut, Lemon, Strawberry or any other extract for vanilla for another flavor option, but vanilla is great.
This is what you need:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (about 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
This is such a delicious recipe. Now if you want the icing a bit thinner, then add in milk, one tablespoon at a time. If you want it thicker to decorate your cakes add in powdered sugar 1/8 cup at a time. It is that simple and oh so tasty!
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl cream butter and vegetable shortening until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar (one cup at a time) on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla, and milk- whip until thoroughly mixed and fluffy on a medium-high setting.
- To pipe - icing on using a decorator bag, thicken it by using more powdered sugar.
- For spreading and covering the cake - add in a bit more milk to make it thinner and easier to spread.
Kitchen tools you need to make this:
I highly recommend getting a kitchenaid mixer to whip up this buttercream recipe, if you don’t have one already. This is my most used kitchen too.
If you need an an lesser expensive tool, you can use a hand mixer too and have this delicious recipe made in minutes.
Make sure you give this easy recipe a try. I know you will love it on your next cake!