Every other day I really want to go through the drive thru. Life would be so much easier if we were made of money and could have someone cook us healthy food in a flash. Oh how I wish. 😉 Back to reality… that isn’t going to happen and our waistline and wallets can’t afford the drive thru trips that often.
Today I wanted to show you how I cooked my family dinner is just 15 minutes… literally!!
We had soccer practice (like we do all the time) and I hadn’t even though about dinner at all (problem #1 – lack of preparation), but I was determined to make a healthy dinner as fast as possible. It was getting late!
This is what we ate:
- Spaghetti with meat sauce
- Roasted Zucchini
- and salad
This is how I cooked dinner in just 15 minutes.
- Turned oven to 400 degrees
- Put a pot of water on for the pasta.
- Grabbed browned beef from the freezer frozen. Tossed it in the pan with some water – put a lid on it and let it steam.
- Chopped up on the zucchini and placed on a cookie sheet. I placed it in the oven.
- Tossed in the pasta and placed the timer for 10 minutes.
- The browned beef was now thawed and heated. I added in garlic salt and spaghetti sauce that we got for cheap.
- I let the meat simmer.
- Few minutes later, pasta is ready to drain, I pulled the zucchini out of the oven and the meat had combined all the flavors.
- Pulled the bagged salad of of the fridge (we got for cheap at Aldi)
- Dinner was done!!
I proved to myself that with proper preparation (like browning the beef before you freeze it). I could make dinner in the same amount of time that it would take going through the drive thru. PLUS this dinner is full of healthy vegetables and protein.
How much did this cost me?
- meat – $3.69 from Zacyon foods
- Pasta sauce – $.50
- Pasta – $.50
- Zucchini – about $1
- 1/2 bagged salad – about $1
- Total: $6.69… way cheaper than the drive thru!
So… are you inspired to try this out on your own? What can you do in the kitchen so you can avoid going through the drive thru?