Today I wanted to help show you another way to save money in the kitchen: Make your own “canned” beans. You are just going to store yours in the freezer instead of canning them. These are so easy to make and a big money saver.
Be sure to check out all of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.
- 2 pounds any kind of dried beans
- salt (optional)
- Rinse your dried beans and place them in the crockpot (you do not have to presoak your beans). Cover with water (about three times as much water as the beans).
- Season with salt if you want. I usually don’t and I just season them when I use them.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. (If you are nervous about the gas that comes in beans, some say you can add a tablespoon or two of baking soda to your beans while cooking. That should help.)
- Separate into freezer friendly containers (I used the Ziploc ones that I got for cheap). You can also place in freezer bags. I generally will keep some of the liquid in the containers with the beans.
- Allow to cool completely before placing in the freezer. 2 lbs makes 7 to 8 cans of beans. Since my family eats about 2 cans in one dinner, I normally will freeze them in 2 can quantities, but that is up to you.
- Take straight from freezer and place directly in crockpot if you are using them in a crockpot recipe. You can cook them on low (directly from freezer) in a medium size pot until thawed and heated through. You can also place them in the fridge the night before you plan to use them. I normally just take them straight from the freezer.
How Frugal is it?
1 can of beans cost around $1 on sale. 2 pounds of dried beans (making 7 to 8 cans) are around $2 or less. That means each new “can” in the freezer is only costing you around $.25. That is one nice savings!
What about the health?
Real canned beans have a ton of sodium in there. By making your own you are able to control that, meaning a cheaper and healthier alternative. These actually taste better too!
I hope this helps you save money! What are you waiting for? Go get you some dried beans!!