I’m so excited to get to share with you today The Best Taco Dip Recipe. This is my favorite thing to bring to parties and cook-outs and I know you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
The Best Taco Dip Recipe is packed with Flavor:
I love how simple this easy taco dip recipe is to make. With just a few basic ingredients you can have the best taco dip recipe made in minutes and ready to devour.
You are going to love this cream cheese taco dip. The base is made easily with cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning. It is always a crowd favorite and perfect for family gatherings and game day parties.
- Cream Cheese softened
- Sour Cream
- Taco Seasoning (I use our easy Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Iceberg Lettuce (diced and shredded)
How to Make Taco Dip
You won’t believe how easy this recipe is.
- Step 1 – First, in a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream and add taco seasoning with a hand mixer until the dip is thoroughly combined and creamy.
- Step 2 – If there are small clumps, then the cream cheese isn’t soft enough. Just let it sit longer at room temperature so the cream cheese can soften more and then mix again.
- Step 3 – Once it is mixed, pour into a serving platter. I’m using a glass circle serving platter but you can make any work for this great recipe. It’s so versatile!
- Step 4 – Next top with shredded cheese, then shredded lettuce, and finally diced tomatoes.
Tips for Taco Dip with Cream Cheese:
- Combine Ingredients – Make sure cream cheese is at room temperature as it will combine easily with the sour cream and seasoning.
- Add your favorite toppings – We added cheese, lettuce, and diced tomatoes. You can easily add what you want.
- Taco Seasoning – You can use store bought taco seasoning or make your own.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Change the base – You can easily change the base to a refried beans or other types of beans.
- Add Meats – Top with ground beef or shredded chicken for added protein.
- Change the Toppings – Change the topping to what you prefer.
Can you Make in Advance?
We like to prepare the taco dip with the bottom layer – Sour Cream, Cream Cheese and Taco Seasoning and then spread it in your pan. I then place this in my refrigerator.
Then once you are ready to serve top the cream cheese mixture with your favorite toppings.
We prefer to store in the refrigerator after about 2 hours sitting out on the counter. Just keep it covered in the refrigerator. We like to snack on it throughout the week.
What to Serve with Taco Dip?
We love to serve this taco dip when we have get-togethers for game day or a family party. It usually is my go-to appetizer when I am attending a party.
This would be perfect served with a taco and a burrito bar. You can also make it with a taco soup. It is one of those recipes that is great served alone or with your favorite Mexican food.
Our favorite to serve with this Taco Dip
- Tortilla Chips
- Corn Chips
- Pita Chips
- Soft Tortilla – You can even make a mini burrito
How long is Taco Dip good in the refrigerator?
This taco dip is best when eaten immediately. But if you do have leftovers, store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
After 3 days the vegetables tend to get a little soggy.
Taco Salad Dip Topping Ideas:
You can definitely change this recipe or add more toppings to make this dip recipe your own.
- Refried Beans – You can add in a layer of refried beans at the bottom of this recipe to create a delicious layered dip that everyone will love at your next party.
- Add your favorite Veggies – This dip would be great topped with green peppers, red onions, black beas, black olives, or green onions.
- Top with Salsa – Add your favorite salsa of choice or taco sauce. We like using medium heat salsa.
- Mix in Ground Beef – You can bump up the heartiness of this recipe by adding in browned ground beef.
- Topping Options are endless – Add your favorite toppings (more tomatoes, olives or even avocado) to make this recipe work perfectly for your family and friends.
Print recipe here for the The Best Taco Dip:
The Best Taco Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 16 oz sour cream
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded).
- iceberg lettuce (diced and shredded)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- black olives (sliced)
- jalapeños (sliced)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning with a hand mixer until the dip is combined and creamy.
- If there are small clumps, then the cream cheese isn’t soft enough. Just let it sit longer so the cream cheese can soften again and mix again.
- Once it is mixed, pour into a serving platter.
- Top with shredded cheese, then shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives and jalapeños.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
What is your home made taco seasoning?
Sorry! I just added the link to the post – https://www.eatingonadime.com/how-to-make-homemade-taco-seasoning/
I would spread a can of refried beans in the bottom of the dish before adding the mixed spread. Think it would give it a more solid base and a little extra taste.
i just printed the taco seasoning it states 1/4 cayenne or red pepper flakes,is that 1/4 teaspoon?want to try this
Great recipe ! Thank you !
Taco dip. Made for my family today. They loved it. Thank you
Mrs BJ Wilson
Similar to mine, but I add a 1/4 c miracle whip to my base. Try it and see what you think. Thanks for the recipes
Thanks for the recommendation Andrea! I will try that 🙂
I use a can of green chilies instead of lettuce. It’s not spicy and everyone loves it
Add refried beans, a layer of guacamole, a layer of salsa, some black olives and green onions and you have a favorite dip we use here all the time.
Yum! That sounds delicious Kathy! 🙂
Instead of cream cheese, mash one avocado, add the taco seasoning mix well ( by hand is fine ) then add the sour cream.
Top with diced tomato, grated cheese & finely slices shallots ( green onions) Delicious
I make this but I put a layer of refried beans in the bottom and add sliced black olives to the top.
Great ideas – Thanks for sharing!
Love this!!! I made one like this and one with burger for the meat eaters.
How much for a 9×13 dish
I would double the recipe for a 9X13 dish. Thank you!
Instead of sour cream I use Dean’s green onion chip dip!!! Yummy
What is considered a serving of this? For 364 calories, 1 cup or 1/2 cup or what? Thanks
1 serving is approximately 3/4 cup- 1 cup. Each batch is slightly different so it’s hard to put an exact size on it. The entire recipe serves 8-10. Thanks!
I added some extra layers like refried beans and quac, took it to work for a pot luck everyone loved it. The cream cheese makes it way better.
It was really good
It was really good , forgot to rate my comment
We make this dip on game days, BIG hit.
I have made this dip for years and everyone loves it kids ask all the time for it to be made. Even when I go to parties they want it.
This is a really good dip! Have made it a few times on “Taco Tuesdays.” Would be great for company. Thanks for the recipe!
This is a crowd pleaser for sure! Also love the homemade taco seasoning. I use it all the time!
This is a really good dip! Have made it several times for “Taco Tuesdays.” Would be great for company. Thanks for the recipe!
Great recipe for snack time! Yum
Thanks, I’m not a Cook so it’s for frustrating. to read about great food and not be able to make it. This turned out great!
We love taco dip/salad. Our variation includes adding in the brine from pickled jalapeños into the cream mixture. We also add meat (shredded chicken or ground seasoned beef. Sort of like an open faced taco.
This taco dip is so quick and easy to make, but tastes delicious!
We add cooked ground pork just before serving. It’s on repeat for a few friends, as a pick-me up meal.
So good! But, I had to cheat a little with store bought taco seasoning!