This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe has the most delicious layers of cheese, ground beef, tortillas and more. This casserole is perfect for dinner any night of the week and loaded with tons of flavor.
Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe
What is the best way to describe this casserole? Well, I am teetering between super yummy and super easy.
Take your pick, both describe it equally well. I was in a rush to get something made quickly so I just threw in a few things I had sitting around.
This meal uses pantry staples that you probably already have.
Your family will love this meal! Our entire family loves this recipe and it is now one of our favorite meals to make.
Layers of simple ingredients come together for a casserole full of comfort food.
- ground beef – I used cooked ground beef I had in the freezer so it was even easier.
- taco seasoning – We love homemade taco seasoning.
- Chili Beans – You can also use homemade ranch beans. I had some in the freezer and it made the recipe even easier.
- Rotel – If you don’t have this in the pantry, use a small can of green chilies and a can of diced tomatoes for an easy substitution.
- crushed tomatoes – Diced tomatoes make a great substitution.
- corn tortillas
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese-Cheddar, Colby Jack and Mexican blend cheese would all be delicious.
How to make Mexican casserole
First, brown meat in a large skillet and drain. If you are using cooked ground beef from the freezer like I did, just thaw it first.
Second, add the taco seasoning, stir in the beans, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomato in the skillet. You can easily adapt this step for what you have on hand.
Get your baking dish ready. It is perfect in a 13×9 casserole dish. Place a layer of tortillas on the bottom.
Then, pour half of the meat mixture over the tortillas.
Spread over the tortillas and sprinkle with half the cheese.
Repeat the process one more time. Add another layer of tortillas on top.
Spread the remaining meat mixture over the tortillas. The last step is to spread the sour cream on top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
You are going to love how the sour cream blends into this casserole. I think it brings it all together and adds such a layer of creaminess.
Cover with foil and bake. The foil will prevent the cheese from getting too brown before the rest of the casserole has finished cooking.
Jump to recipe below for the full details.
What to serve with Mexican casserole?
Everything you need for a great dinner is in this casserole. It is an easy one pot meal if your family enjoys Mexican food.
Both of these side dish ideas are easy and do not take much time or effort.
Ideas for dessert:
- Try ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef.
- Use leftover shredded chicken or beef. It does not have to be ground.
- Substitute flour tortillas for corn tortillas.
- Add pinto beans with the black beans or substitute them.
- Try different types of cheese- Mexican blend, Monterrey, Colby and more are all delicious.
- Add bell peppers and chopped onion. Green Chiles are also delicious if you like to spice things up.
- Toss in a handful of corn. Frozen, canned or fresh would work. Use what you have.
- Rice would be a great addition to this casserole. Either mix it in with the beef or make it a layer. This is also a great way to stretch your meat.
- Vegetarian option- Omit the ground beef and add 2 cups beans instead. Pinto or black beans would taste great.
- Black olives taste great baked on top of the cheese. It also looks pretty too.
- Use salsa or enchilada sauce in place o the crushed tomatoes layer.
- Add jalapeno peppers into the casserole if you love spicy dishes. Another idea is to top each serving with a few slices if you do not want them in the entire dish.
How to freeze Easy Mexican casserole recipe:
I like to make 2 of these at a time because it isn’t any more work. All of the ingredients are already out and it is so easy.
So I do one for dinner that day and then put one in the freezer for a later time. This is a huge help and a big time saver.
Just make the casserole as directed but I like to use a tin toil pan for the one going in the freezer.
However, instead of baking, cover with foil and allow to cool. Once cooled, freeze.
It isn’t anymore work to make 2 and you have a great dinner for another night.
How to reheat:
To bake, remove from the freezer the day before you want to eat it and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees until cooked through and the cheese is melted on top.
How to store:
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Use a container with a lid to keep leftovers the freshest.
We love Mexican casserole with beef.
The creamy sauce in this casserole recipe is so delicious. This Mexican casserole is quick and easy and oh so tasty.
You will love all of the melted cheesy in this dish and it really makes for a great recipe. This has quickly become a family favorite around here and one we all look forward to.
It is inexpensive to make and perfect for company. Everyone leaves happy and wants the recipe.
Make this today and be prepared for it to become a family favorite in your home too. It is so simple to substitute items for what you have on hand. Anyone can make this.
The next time your family is craving Mexican food, save money and make this at home. Mexican Monday will be everyone’s favorite day of the week.
Print this ultimate Mexican casserole below:
Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe
- Brown meat in large skillet. Drain.
- Add taco seasoning, beans, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomato to the skillet.
- Spray 13×9 casserole dish. Place a layer of tortillas on the bottom.
- Pour half of the meat mixture over the tortillas. Spread with half the tortillas and sprinkle with half the cheese. Place another layer of tortillas on top. Pour the remainder of the meat mixture over the tortillas, spread the sour cream over the top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Serve with tortilla chips and a salad. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe