This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chocolate Covered Potato Chips is the perfect sweet and salty treat. You only need 2 ingredients to make this delicious snack.
Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips:
Potato chips dipped in chocolate is the ultimate sweet and salty treat. We love the delicious flavor of the combination of chips and chocolate. You only need 2 ingredients to make this addicting snack.
Chocolate dipped potato chips recipe is salty and sweet, crunchy and delicious. If you are a fan of chocolate dip treats then you must try, Chocolate Dip Rice Krispie Treats.
These chocolate dip potato chips are perfect for any occasion. We love to make them for holidays or for game night treat.
What are Chocolate Covered Potato Chips called?
This treat is also known as Chippers. They were called this for many years until be introduced to the market in 1985.
How do you Melt Chocolate Chips without burning:
We recommend melting chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Begin by heating the chocolate for about 30 seconds then stir. Continue heating 25 to 30 seconds and stirring after each time.
This will ensure that you do not burn the chocolate. Another option to melt chocolate in a double boiler.
What Kinds of Chips to Use:
We used Ruffles Potato Chips and have tried many different kinds. You can also use Kettle Potato Chips or Baked Potato Chips.
When trying different types of chips, you want to use chips that do not have a lot of seasoning on them. You do not want to alter the taste when mixed with the melted chocolate.
We also love making chocolate covered pretzels. These are a staple holiday dessert.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (24 ounces)
- Ridged Potato Chips (Ruffles)
How to Make Chocolate Covered Potato Chips Recipe:
- Step 1 – Prepare Baking Sheet – First line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Step 2 – Melt Chocolate – Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 25 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overcook the chocolate.
- Step 3 – Dip the Chocolate – Dip a chip approximately 2/3 of the way into the melted chocolate. Gently tap the coated chip on the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate.
- Step 4 – Place on Baking Sheet – Then place the chip on the prepared baking sheet. Continue this process until all the chips are coated.
- Step 5 – Dry Chips – Allow the chocolate to dry completely before serving.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Then the chocolate covered chips are ready to serve and enjoy.
How to Store Chocolate Covered Potato Chips:
Store any leftover chips in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Then place the chocolate covered potato chips in the fridge. You can also leave at room temperature.
Make sure the potato chips have cooled to room temperature before storing.
Tips for Chocolate Covered Chips:
- Whole Chips – When preparing the chips for dipping into the melted chocolate, we recommend not using the broken chips.
- Prepare Baking Sheet – Place a piece of parchment paper on the baking sheet for easy clean up.
- Remove Excess Chocolate – After dipping the chips into the chocolate, remove excessive chocolate before placing on the baking sheet.
How Long will they Last:
These chocolate covered chips will last up to 5 days. They do not last that long in my house, but we recommend serving quickly after making.
- Change Chocolate – You can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate in this recipe if you prefer. White chocolate is also a great option. It would even be fun to drizzle white chocolate over the top.
- Sea Salt – Sprinkle sea salt after the dip into chocolate for added salty flavor.
- Sprinkles – For a fun and festive treat for a holiday dessert, add some fun sprinkles.
- Other Topping Ideas – You can even top the chips with nuts, chopped candy bars, or coconut. This adds texture and flavor to the chocolate covered chips.
- Double the Recipe – You will want to double the recipe as this is an addicting snack. Simple just double the ingredients.
- Change the Chips – Feel free to use different types of tips. You can even dip in Veggie Straws just make sure to use a chip with mild seasoning.
- Dip the Whole Chips – We dip the chips halfway into the chocolate. But you can dip the entire chip into the chocolate if you prefer.
Print Recipe here for Chocolate Covered Potato Chips:
Chocolate Covered Potato Chips
- 1 bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 24 ounces
- 1 bag Ridged Potato Chips Ruffles
- First line a baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 25 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overcook the chocolate.
- Dip a chip approximately 2/3 of the way into the melted chocolate. Gently tap the coated chip on the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate. Then place the chip on the prepared baking sheet. Continue this process until all the chips are coated.
- Allow the chocolate to dry completely before serving.
- Then the chips are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe