Make these simple and delicious Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats for your next holiday gathering or party. They are bite size and look so festive for your dessert platter.
Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats
These tasty bite size treats are easy to make but oh so delicious. Everyone loves rice krispies treats and we are jazzing them up with chocolate.
Plus, they look adorable if you are handing them out for a Christmas cookie exchange. Speaking of which, are you following our Christmas Cookie exchange recipes? So many fun ideas!
Today is an easy but good one! We are make this chocolate covered rice krispie treats recipe. Yum!
How to make chocolate covered rice krispie treats
First, prepare a 9 x 13 pan and spray with cooking spray. You can also line the pan with wax paper.
Second, you need a large saucepan or large pot. Add the butter and melt over low heat.
Next, add the marshmallows and stir until they are smooth and completely melted.
Now remove from the heat and add the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir everything together until it is well coated.
I like to butter my hands or use wax paper to help press the mixture firmly into the prepared pan. It helps make it easier and your hands less sticky.
Finally, let this cool. Then cut into approximately 1″ square bites. You want these smaller than normal rice krispies treats.
Put them on a pan lined in parchment paper and place in the freezer for 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
How to cover Rice Krispie Treats with chocolate:
Get out a microwave safe bowl and heat the chocolate by microwaving an intervals. I like to do this for 1 minute stirring and repeating until melted.
It’s important to do this in intervals so you don’t burn the chocoalte.
Once the chocolate is melted, use a fork to dip each bite into the melted chocolate. Make sure each square is completely coated.
Then shake off any excess chocolate and return to the parchment paper lined tray.
It is optional but you can add sprinkles or candy decorations. This would be fun for holidays, birthday parties, Game Day and more.
It is that simple! Just dip into chocolate and decorate!
How do you melt chocolate for Rice Crispy Treats?
We used the microwave to quickly and easily melt the chocolate. However you can use a double broiler on the stove top if you prefer.
Variations to try:
- You can also try making White Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats! White chocolate is delicious and such a tasty idea.
- Another yummy idea is to use dark chocolate. If you love dark chocolate, try dipping some of the squares in that. It is so decadent!
- Peanut Butter lovers will go crazy over Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Rice Krispie treats! Add a little peanut butter to the rice krispies mixture for a yummy twist on the classic recipe.
- Chocolate covered rice krispie balls are also really good. They look like cake pops or cake balls. If you want to try a new shape, just try making balls instead.
We love trying new things.
Perfect for any Holiday
- You can easily change the sprinkles to make this work for various holidays. Try red and green for Christmas, red and pink for Valentine’s Day, yellow and orange for Thanksgiving. The ideas are endless.
- Use different colors of melting chocolate. Pastel would be so pretty for Easter or green for St. Patrick’s Day.
- Game day- coordinate the sprinkle colors to your favorite team.
- Baby showers or gender reveal- Use blue or pink sprinkles.
- Birthday parties- match the sprinkles to the party decor. Fun!
Perfect for a cookie exchange.
- Chocolate covered rice krispie treats would be easy to make a double or triple batch for a cookie exchange!
- These would be fun and yummy to add to your Christmas platter to give to teachers or neighbors.
How to store:
Place inside an airtight container for up to 4 to 6 days. I also suggest separating each layer with wax paper so they don’t stick to each other.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes! We love to have a baking day and make all sorts of yummy treats.
I often will make a double batch and freeze some. They are just as amazing and it is so handy to just pop them out of the freezer.
If you plan to freeze these, just put inside a freezer container with an airtight lid. Place wax paper between each layer. They will keep in the freezer if stored properly up to 3 months.
This is a great idea if you have Christmas parties coming up and want to bake some items ahead. You can spend more time prepping early on to avoid last minute stress and chaos.
I always try to do as much as I can before the holidays so I can just sit back and enjoy time with my friends and family. That is what it is truly about.
Try Chocolate dipped rice krispie treats!
Let’s be honest, chocolate dipped treats are amazing! From strawberries, to cheesecakes, to cake balls, anything dipped in delicious chocolate is oh so good.
I think these chocolate covered rice krispie treats are sure to impress your family and guests.
Print this Chocolate dipped rice krispie treats recipe:
Try this delicious Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats recipe. These chocolate dipped treats are perfect for any Christmas cookie exchange.
- 6 cup Rice Krispies Cereal
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 10.5 oz Marshmallows
- 1 cup Chocolate Melting Chips
Using butter or cooking spray, prepare a 9 x 13 pan pr line with parchment paper.
In a medium to large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
Remove from heat.
Add the Rice Crispies cereal and stir until cereal is well coated.
Butter your hands or use wax paper to press the mixture firmly into the pan.
Allow to cool.
Line a cutting coard or tray with parchment paper or wax paper.
Cut into approximately 1″ square bites and place on prepared tray.
Heat chocolate by microwaving for 1 minute stirring and repeating until melted.
Using a fork dip each bite into chocolate to completely coat. Shake off excess and return to tray.
Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
You can optionally decorate with sprinkles or candy decorations.
Your kids will love helping you whip up a batch of these Chocolate Covered Rice Krispie Treats!