This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats are the best Christmas Treats. This classic dessert is made with Christmas Sprinkles and Holiday M&M’s.
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats Recipe:
We love making the classic Rice Krispie Treats for many occasions. But adding in Christmas Sprinkles and M&M’s really makes this the best Christmas treat. There is nothing better than making holiday treats and sharing them with others.
These treats are fun and festive and easy to make. They are the perfect treat to bring out the holiday spirit. They are made with simple ingredients, which makes for the best last minute holiday treat.
Jazz up your classic recipe and add in some holiday sprinkles. They are a crowd favorite and the perfect treat to bring to all your holiday dinners.
- Rice Krispie Cereal
- Marshmallows (10 oz each)
- Red and Green M&Ms
- Christmas Sprinkles
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats for Christmas:
- Prepare Pan – Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt Butter and Marshmallow and Stir – Place the butter and marshmallow in a large saucepan and melt over low heat stirring frequently.
- Add in Cereal – Once the ingredients are completely melted and combined, remove from heat and gradually stir in the Rice Krispie Cereal. Mix until the cereal is coated in the marshmallow and butter mixture.
- Mix in M&Ms and Sprinkles – Then gently fold in the M&Ms and sprinkles (reserve some for topping).
- Add to Pan – Press the mixture into the 9X13 pan. I spray a piece of parchment paper with non-stick spray and use that parchment paper to press the cereal down into the baking dish.
- Top with M&M’s and Sprinkles – Then top with the reserved M&M candies and sprinkles. Gently press these down so that they stick into the Rice Krispie treats.
- Slice, Serve and Enjoy – Let the Rice Krispie treats sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then they are ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Substitutions and Additions:
- Chocolate Chips – You can add in chocolate chips to the cereal mix.
- Food Coloring – You can use green food coloring or red food coloring to dye the cereal.
- Different shapes – Use cookie cutters to make Christmas tree shapes. This would be so fun and festive.
- Cereal – Add in other types of cereal such as chex mix.
How to Store Christmas Rice Krispie Treats:
Store any leftover Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Do not store these treats in the refrigerator. They are best left to cool at room temperature so that they remain gooey and delicious.
We do not recommend freezing these crispy treats. Freezing them will change the texture of the treat.
Why are my Rice Krispie Treats falling apart?
We recommend to follow the recipe. When adding in to much of marshmallows or rice cereal could result in the Rice Krispie Treats falling apart.
When preparing this holiday season dessert, accurately measure out the ingredients prior to making them. This will help in adding in the right amount.
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats Tips:
- Cutting Bars – Allow bars to set for at least an hour before cutting.
- Pan Size – We used a 9×13 pan for this recipe. But if you prefer thicker bakery style bars, use an 8×8 size pan.
- Combine Ingredients – Combine the ingredients until just combined. Overmixing will result in the texture being hard.
- Pressing mixture into pan – Don’t pack the mixture into the pan. Firmly compacting the ingredients will make the bars lose their softness. This can be avoided by simply not pressing firmly into the pan.
How do you Cut Rice Krispie Treats neatly:
When preparing the pan to add in the mixture, make sure that you have sprayed with cooking spray. I also like to line with parchment paper or wax paper as this allows you to easily remove the treats from the pan.
Then once the treats have been removed, simply take a knife and begin cutting into squares. It may be helpful to spray the knife with cooking spray. Wipe clean after each cut to prevent buildup.
Another option is to use a pizza cutter to cut the treats. Spray it with cooking spray and begin cutting in a individual squares.
How long will Rice Krispie Treats Last:
If stored properly, the treats will last about a week at room temperature.
Print Recipe here for Christmas Rice Krispie Treats:
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
- 10 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 2 pkg Marshmallows 10 oz each
- 2 cups Red and Green M&Ms
- 2 Tbsp Christmas Sprinkles
- Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the butter and marshmallow in a sauce pan and melt over low heat stirring frequently.
- Once the ingredients are melted and combined, remove from heat and gradually stir in the Rice Krispie Cereal. Mix until the cereal is coated in the marshmallow and butter mixture.
- Then gently fold in the M&Ms and sprinkles (reserve some for topping).
- Press the mixture into the 9X13 pan. I spray a piece of parchment paper with non-stick spray and use that parchment paper to press the cereal down into the baking dish.
- Then top with the reserved M&Ms and sprinkles. Gently press these down so that they stick into the Rice Krispie treats.
- Let the Rice Krispie treats sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then they are ready to slice, serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe