Learn How to Cook a Turkey in a Bag for tender and flavorful turkey every time. This fool proof way to cook turkey is the easiest Thanksgiving turkey!
The Easiest Thanksgiving Turkey
This is the best and easiest way to cook a turkey. You will get delicious meat every single time that is loaded with the best flavor.
No more dry and tasteless turkey. This recipe is the best and super easy too! Once you cook turkey like this, there is no going back.
We think this is the best way to bake a turkey. Give it a try and see what you think.
Best way to cook a Turkey:
I have tried many different ways to cook a turkey. Cooking it in the bag is really the best way to cook a turkey.
- I love the way it keeps the turkey so moist.
- The skin gets the perfect golden brown without much effort on my part.
- In my opinion, I just feel better that all the ingredients go in the bag. Putting the ingredients in the bag just makes it more flavorful.
- But my favorite part, is easy cleanup. I make sure I dump all the juices in a pan so that I can make the gravy.
I prefer to use a bag and cook a turkey this way. It really is fool proof and hard to mess up. This method is perfect for a beginner and the turkey comes out flavorful every time.
- Whole Turkey – fully thawed
- White onion- peeled and cut into large chunks
- Carrots- peeled and chopped into large pieces
- Celery Ribs- cut into large pieces
- Minced Garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Turkey Size Oven Bag
How to cook a turkey in a bag:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and move the oven rack 1 level lower than the center of the oven. This should give you plenty of room for the turkey.
- Second, get out a small mixing bowl and combine the butter, garlic, salt and pepper together.
- Next, remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and tuck the wings under the turkey. If you prefer, you can tie back the wings of the turkey.
- Take the butter mixture and rub all over the skin of the turkey. Make sure to get it all over. We also get under the skin and which helps crisp up the skin.
- Now, add the tablespoon of flour into the oven bag and shake it to coat the inside of the bag with the flour.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery into the oven bag and then finally add the turkey into the oven bag on top of the vegetables.
- The last step is to close the oven bag with the nylon tie that comes with the bag. Once it is closed, put the bag with all of the ingredients in a roasting pan. I like to spray the roasting pan with a little cooking spray so the bag doesn’t stick.
- You will need to cut slits in the top of the bag to allow the steam to escape. It is important not to forget this step.
- Once finished cooking, let the turkey rest for at least 15 minutes. Then carefully cut the oven bag off the turkey and remove the turkey and place on a platter. It is ready to serve and enjoy.
How long to cook a turkey in a bag.
The cooking time is based on the size of the turkey. You can also use a meat thermometer to make sure that the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees cooking time. I always stick the thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey.
Turkey in a Bag Cooking times:
- A 12-15 lb turkey will take approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours.
- A 15-20 lb turkey will take approximately 2 ½ – 3 hours.
- A 20-24 lb turkey will take approximately 3 – 3 ½ hours.
Does it cook faster?
When you are cooking the turkey in the bag, it traps in the heat which allows your turkey to cook faster.
Your turkey will cook about an hour faster when cooking in the bag. Which means the bag helps get dinner on the table faster.
Turkey Side Dish Ideas:
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Casserole
Turkey in the bag Tips:
- You can use a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Just adjust the cooking time.
- To thaw a turkey properly, allow 24 hours for every 5 pounds of turkey to thaw in a refrigerator.
- Make sure to cut 1 inch slits in the oven bag so the steam can escape.
- When coating the turkey with the butter mixture, get all around. Don’t miss any spots because this gives the turkey amazing flavor.
- You can order turkey size oven bags. So handy and the best way to cook a turkey.
This turkey is delicious!
Try this for your Thanksgiving Turkey. It makes the best roasted turkey and really easy. I love how simple it is and easy to make.
Everyone will love how juicy and tender it is. Plus, you really can’t go wrong with this amazing turkey recipe.
If you are worried about the meat being dry, this is a foolproof way to get amazing turkey each time. We hope you give this way a try.
You will not be disappointed. Each bite is so delicious and baked to perfection.
Print how to cook a turkey in a bag recipe below:
How to cook a Turkey in a Bag
- 12-24 lb Whole Turkey fully thawed
- 1 white onion peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 3 Celery Ribs cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- Turkey Size Oven Bag
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place the oven rack 1 level lower than the center of the oven.
- Mix the butter, garlic, salt and pepper together in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and turk the wings under the turkey. You can tie back the wings of the turkey if you prefer.
- Rub the butter mixture all over the skin of the turkey.
- Place the flour into the oven bag and shake the bag to coat the inside of the bag with the flour.
- Then place the onion, carrots and celery into the oven bag and then place the turkey into the oven bag on top of the vegetables.
- Close the oven bag with the tie included with the bag and place the bag with the all the ingredients onto a roasted pan.
- Cut slits in the top of the oven bag to allow the steam to escape.
- Cook the turkey based on the size of the turkey and use a meat thermometer to ensure that the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees cooking time. A 12-15 lb turkey will take approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours. A 15-20 lb turkey will take approximately 2 ½ – 3 hours. A 20-24 lb turkey will take approximately 3 – 3 ½ hours.
- Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes. Then carefully cut the oven bag off the turkey.
- Remove the turkey to a serving platter, carve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe