Now you can come home to a super creamy and delicious mac and cheese thanks to this Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe. The slow cooker does all the work for this amazing comfort food recipe.
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
We are huge fans of macaroni and cheese and finally have perfected the best recipe. It has the perfect blend of cheese and tastes amazing. Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect side to feed a crowd.
The ingredients are easy and combining the two flavors of cheese makes this recipe so flavorful. Everything gets placed in the crock pot for an easy process. You do not need to cook the noodles before adding to the crock pot.
This recipe is perfect for a potluck or just an easy side for a weeknight dinner. I love making homemade macaroni and cheese instead of using the box stuff. I know exactly what I am feeding my family and I adjust the ingredients to what we like.
Easy Crockpot Mac and Cheese:
If you are looking for an easy side dish for your next holiday or get-together, make this easy crockpot macaroni and cheese. It is always a crowd pleaser and can easily be put together.
This is a great dish when you are looking for side dishes that doesn’t require baking. You can toss all the ingredients in the crock pot and let it the slow cooker do all the work. There is no need to spend hours stirring the mac and cheese.
We love when the mac and cheese gets golden brown from the melted creamy cheesy topping.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- Elbow Macaroni, uncooked
- Cream Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Whole Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
How to make Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese:
- Add uncooked pasta to crock pot – Place the uncooked pasta in the bottom of the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart crock pot.
- Top with butter and cream cheese – Cut the butter and the cream cheese over the pasta.
- Add seasoning – Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the liquid – Pour the milk and cream on top.
- Cook on Low – Cook on low for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the pasta is chewy.
- Add in the two cheeses – Stir in the cheeses.
- Cook until cheese is melted – Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in more milk if not immediately stirring – Add more milk if needed or if you are going to have it sit for a while.
Can I make this ahead and reheat it?
We do not recommend making ahead and reheating it. The macaroni and cheese is never the same after reheating it. If you do reheat it, we recommend adding milk to increase the moisture.
I would reheat in on the stovetop or microwave. Reheating on the stovetop prevents the mac and cheese having hot spots.
Why was my Mac and Cheese Gritty?
When choosing cheese for the mac and cheese make sure you hand shred the cheese. The already shredded cheese has added ingredients which can make your mac and cheese gritty.
Grating the cheese yourself is a game changer for this mac and cheese recipe. It makes it so creamy and delicious.
Why was my Mac and Cheese Mushy?
When making this mac and cheese, I recommend serving immediately after is finished cooking. You can keep the mac and cheese on warm for awhile but it could result in it being a bit mushy.
The main ingredient you are cooking is the macaroni noodles to al dente and melting the cheese sauce. So checking for doneness after cooking the recipe is key on keeping the mac and cheese from getting to mushy. The cooking time could vary.
How to Double Crock Pot Mac and Cheese:
You can easily make this recipe to feed a larger crowd. Just double the ingredients and cook as directed. Easy!
Can you Change the Cheese?
Yes, you can easily change the cheeses for this recipe. Try one of these options.
- Monterrey Jack
- Change the Cheeses – We recommend using different cheeses. It adds flavor and it is fun to change the flavor. American cheese is also a family favorite.
- Make it spicy – If you like your mac and cheese to be spicy, mix in some jalapenos or green chilies.
- Add in Bacon – We love the added flavor that bacon gives mac and cheese. You can sprinkle in bacon bits or chop up freshly cooked bacon.
- Change the pasta – Use different types of pasta. Some ideas include bowtie, shells, penne and more. Just use what you have.
Crockpot Mac and Cheese Tips:
- Cheese – The key to making the best Crockpot Mac and Cheese is the special blend of cheeses. Cooking in the crockpot at just right amount of time, to make all these cheeses melt perfectly together for a crispy top.
- Room Temperature Ingredients – Make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature. They just blend better instead of being pulled straight out of the refrigerator.
- Whole Milk – We like using whole milk. But if all you have is low-fat milk I would use that. It may not be as creamy but it is still just as delicious. You can use evaporated milk as well.
- Hand Shred Cheese – Make sure to skip the bag pre shredded cheese. Shredding your own cheese is much better and there are no added ingredients.
This is the Best Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe:
You seriously have to try this! It is the best comfort food and each bite is amazing and super creamy. I love that we can enjoy delicious crock pot mac and cheese any day of the week thanks to this easy recipe. My kids are pretty happy about that.
This Crock Pot Mac and Cheese is always a crowd pleaser. I love that I can add it ingredients for added flavor. We have even added in some rotisserie chicken that we had leftover.
Shredding cheese only takes a few extra minutes and I think it tastes better. Pre shredded cheese does not melt the same as when you shred it yourself. You will be able to taste the difference in this homemade mac and cheese. It will become your favorite mac and cheese recipe.
How to Store Leftovers:
Place any leftovers in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. The leftovers will stay good for about 3 to 5 days.
Print this Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe below:
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Place the uncooked pasta in the bottom of the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart crock pot.
- Cut the butter and the cream cheese over the pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the milk and cream on top.
- Cook on low for 1.5 hours, or until the pasta is chewy.
- Stir in the cheeses.
- Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Add more milk if needed or if you are going to have it sit for a while.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try more Mac and Cheese Recipes:
- Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Quick and Easy Weeknight Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
More Crockpot Side Dishes:
- Sweet Glazed Crock pot Carrots recipe!
- Find more easy Crockpot Side Dishes
would add havarti cheese and 1/s c evaporated milk
I can’t wait to try this. I serve mine with roast beef and green beans.
I too make a crockpot mac & cheese, but will try your recipe as for a different take on it. I like to serve it with smothered pork chops, a ham, ribs or various other meats. I usually use a combinnation of sharp and mild cheddar, but sometimes use colby jack as well.
We make pretty close to this recipe. We use Monterey Jack instead if Pepper Jack.
I believe mac and cheese goes good with just about anything!! It’s the perfect side that everyone loves, even the picky eaters!!
See More Comments