Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe is the best of both worlds. Everything you love about chili and mac and cheese come together for an incredible meal. Plus, the slow cooker makes this simple for busy weeknights.
Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe:
We are always looking for new and delicious ways to use our crock pot. This recipe does not disappoint and is loaded with tons of cheese, flavorful ground beef and so much more!
If you enjoyed our Crock Pot Hamburger Helper recipe, you are going to go crazy over this Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe. Your house will smell amazing as this cooks!
We love making ground beef chili and some of our top recipes include Texas Roadhouse Chili and Wendy Chili Recipe. Chili combined with mac and cheese is always a hit with our kids. You simply can’t go wrong with chili and cheese in this flavorful chili mac recipe.
One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese:
There is something to be said about one pot meals during busy seasons of life. Less preparation and less clean up. If I know we have a bunch of activities and will be gone all day, I throw this meal in the slow cooker and it is a huge time saver.
It is hearty, delicious and full of flavor. The perfect weeknight meal. We love to top with more cheese and sour cream for a complete meal idea.
- Ground Beef, lean
- Small Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Diced Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Elbow Macaroni
- Cheddar Cheese, hand shredded
How to Make Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese:
- Step 1 – Brown ground beef and put in the crock pot.
- Step 2 – Add all the ingredients except for the pasta and shredded cheese to a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Step 3 – Stir in the uncooked macaroni. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the pasta is cooked through or al dente. Cook time may vary.
- Step 4 – Stir in the cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Step 5 – Top with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy.
Variations for Slow Cooker Chili Mac:
- Creamy – You can add sour cream to make it extra creamy.
- Change the Meat – Try using sausage or ground turkey instead of ground beef. You can always do half turkey and half ground beef.
- Change the Cheese – We used cheddar cheese but anything would be great. Try Colby Monterrey Jack, sharp cheddars or Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Add Toppings – We like to top with green onion and jalapenos. The ideas are endless for this amazing recipe.
- Extra Spice – Add a dash or two of hot sauce for extra heat. Just make it your own. You can also cayenne pepper or a can of Rotel.
- Change the Beans – We used chili beans but black beans or kidney beans would taste amazing.
- Tomato Sauce – You can also use tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes.
- Broth – Instead of beef broth, chicken broth can be used.
Do you have to Cook Beef first?
In this recipe we prefer to cook our ground beef first before adding it to the slow cooker. This helps to drain off any excess grease.
If you have a slow cooker that you can cook the ground beef right in crock pot, then we recommend using that. The Instant Pot Aura is the one we use and it has other features. This is my go-to slow cooker.
What type of Beans to Use?
In this recipe we used chili beans but you can easily use whatever beans you have or prefer. You can use black beans, pinto beans, ranch style beans, or kidney beans. I have even made it with two different kinds of beans.
Make sure to drain the beans before adding to the slow cooker.
What to Serve with Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe:
Everyone loves this meal and it is the best comfort food. We keep things simple and often serve it as is.
- Simple Salad – It is a great one pot meal and our family loves it. If you want something green, try adding a simple side salad.
- Roasted Vegetables – We also like green beans or steamed broccoli. Just keep it simple and do what your family enjoys the most.
- Other Chili Sides – If you are looking for some other chili sides suggestions, we have our favorite sides here.
What Type of Pasta to Use?
Elbow Macaroni works best in this recipe. We recommend using a smaller noodle for this recipe. We have also used ditalini noodle or a seashell shaped noodle and the chili mac recipe turned out amazing.
You can use whatever noodle that you have on hand.
- Sour Cream
- More Cheese
- Green Onions
- Sliced Avocado
- Slice Jalapenos
- Chopped Cooked Bacon
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftovers is easy in this Chili Mac Recipe. Place in a air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. This make a delicious lunch the next day. We recommend storing in individual containers.
How to Freeze Crockpot Chili with Macaroni:
Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese can be stored in the freezer. Cool completely and place in a freezer safe container. If you have a lot leftover place in smaller portions.
The chili mac recipe will last about 6 months in the freezer, if stored properly. When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stove in a dutch oven or place back in the slow cooker on warm.
Print slow cooker chili mac and cheese recipe below:
Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans chili beans 15 oz
- 1 cans crushed tomatoes 15 oz each
- 1 cans diced tomatoes 15 oz
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz elbow macaroni uncooked
- 3 cups cheddar cheese hand shredded
- Brown ground beef and put in the crock pot.
- Add all the ingredients except for the pasta and shredded cheese to a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the uncooked macaroni. Cover and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crock Pot Hamburger Helper Recipe
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot Beef Taco Pasta Recipe
- Crock Pot American Goulash Recipe
For the chili Mac and cheese the recipe says put elbow in at the beginning and the directions say put in 30 before done. Which is correct and should the elbows be cooked first if only adding for 30minutes at the end.
Liked by all, delicious
Do you think it will be fine to omit the crushed tomatoes, only put in double the diced tomatoes? Thanks! 🙂
Yes, that will work great!
The first fall crock pot recipe i will be trying is the Chili Mac & Cheese. Sounds wonderful. Now if the temps will just begin to feel fall like….
Very easy recipe and so delicious!
Made this for dinner today and it was so yummy! I added an extra can of fire roasted tomatoes and some chopped green peppers. Definitely will make again!