This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are looking for an easy but delicious crock pot dinner idea then this Crockpot Pepper Steak Recipe is for you.
Crockpot Pepper Steak and Rice Recipe:
This slow cooker pepper steak recipe is very easy to make packed with flavor. Our entire family loves this Chinese pepper steak recipe and we have put it on the family favorite rotation list. I think your family will love it too.
Serve over a bed of rice along side a salad and dinner is done. In fact, we make our rice in the Instant pot, so this dinner was crazy easy using my two favorite appliances.
You may also love our Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe.
Easy Recipe for Pepper Steak:
I don’t know about you, but our weeknights are so easy during the school year. Between soccer or basketball practice, church, and the kids games or school activities there isn’t a lot of time to cook dinner.
Which is why I tend to just love using the crock pot for an easy weeknight meal. This Crockpot Pepper Steak and Rice Recipe is perfect for those busy nights when you know you won’t have time to cook.
Thanks to this easy pepper steak recipe you don’t have an excuse to make dinner even on the busiest nights.
- Beef strips (I used thinly sliced round steaks and sliced them into strips)
- Green bell pepper, sliced thick
- Red bell pepper, sliced thick
- Onion sliced thick
- Beef Broth
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Brown sugar
- Cold Water
How to Make Peppered Steak in Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Add beef, peppers and onions in crock pot – Place the beef, bell peppers and onions in a slow cooker.
Step 2 – Season – Add the seasonings, brown sugar, and soy sauce over the beef and peppers.
Step 3 – Add Broth – Pour the beef broth in the crock pot. Stir to combine.
Step 4 – Slow Cook – Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until the steak is cooked through.
Step 5 – Cornstarch Slurry – Mix together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl to make a cornstarch slurry.
- Step 6 – Thicken Sauce – Stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cook on high for 30-60 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Step 7 – Serve and enjoy – Serve over a bed of white rice.
Tips for Easy Pepper Steak Recipe:
- Steak – Thinly slice the steak in about the same size strips so that it cooks evenly.
- Peppers – I like to cut the peppers in a large strips so that it doesn’t get mushy while it is cooking.
- Combining Ingredients – While the steak and peppers are cooking, it is important to allow the ingredients to cook without stirring. I like the steak to remain in strips until it being shredded.
- Cooking Steak – I like to cook this pepper steak recipe on low so the steak cooks tender.
Can I use a Different Kind of Steak?
Yes, you can different cuts of beef. These are my recommendations:
- Flank Steak
- Beef Stew Meat
- Round Steak
- Any thinly slice steaks
Substitutions and Variations:
- Peppers – The recipes calls for green peppers and red peppers. But I have made this with just green bell peppers and it still turned out amazing.
- Onions – If you are out of fresh onions, you can add in a tablespoon or two of minced dried onions for an easy substitutions.
- Change the meats – You can easily change the meat to what you have on hand. Cut the meat into strips or leave it as a whole piece.
- Stir-Fry – Make this crock pot recipe into an easy stir-fry recipe. Cook the ingredients in some olive oil in a skillet or wok for a quick and easy recipe.
- Bouillon Cubes – We recommend using beef broth, but you can use water and toss in some bouillon cubes for added flavor.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms can be added to this pepper steak recipe. If you prefer, you can also cook the mushrooms in a skillet and serve over the top when the recipe is finished cooking.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Add in red pepper flakes if you prefer your dish to be a bit spicy.
- Worcestershire Sauce – To add a bit of tangy and deep flavor, you can mix in a tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce.
How to Serve Pepper Steak:
There are many different ways to serve this pepper steak. These are some of my family favorite options:
- White Rice – I like to make a big batch of rice and freeze it to serve with other recipes.
- Brown Rice – Brown rice is a delicious side with this pepper steak recipe.
- Egg Noodles – Cook and prepare egg noodles as indicated on the package. Make sure you serve it with the sauce with the steak and vegetables.
- Roasted Vegetables – For a low carb option, serve the steak and peppers with a side of roasted vegetables.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is a high protein option but is an amazing side or delicious served with this crock pot steak.
How to Store Leftovers:
We love having this Pepper Steak leftover. The ingredients really marinate together overnight and it taste even better next day. Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days for a delicious lunch the next day.
This recipe is great to meal prep with for the week. Add a side of rice, roasted vegetable and the slow cooker pepper steak.
Can you Freeze Pepper Steak?
Yes, you can freeze pepper steak. Place the leftover pepper steak in a freezer container or a zip lock freezer bag. If stored properly the pepper steak will last about 3 months.
When you are ready to serve again, place in the freezer container in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Then reheat in the microwave or stovetop until heated thoroughly. Serve with rice and your favorite vegetables.
Print Crockpot Pepper Steak recipe below:
Crockpot Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1.5 lbs round steak (cut into thin strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced thick)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced thick)
- 1/2 onion (sliced thick)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Place the beef, bell peppers and onions in a slow cooker.
- Add the seasonings, brown sugar, and soy sauce over the beef and peppers.
- Pour the beef broth in the crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2.5-3 hours until the steak is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and cold water.
- Stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cook on high for 30-60 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over white rice.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe