Learn how to make this delicious and easy Crock Pot Roast Recipe without any seasoning packets required. It is simple, absolutely amazing and gluten free.
Easy Crock Pot Roast Recipe
We are going to show you how to make the Best Crock pot Roast Recipe without any seasoning packets. Don’t you hate it when you are scrolling on Pinterest trying to find a recipe and it requires several seasoning packets?
I want to make something delicious without all the “junk” that comes in those seasoning packets.
Those packets often have fillers and all sorts of ingredients. Have you ever tried to read the back of one of those seasoning packets?
It is a long list and I don’t know what most of the ingredients are. I feel so much better just skipping the packets all together. Plus, I think the roast turns out better anyway.
I think you are going to be shocked how delicious this simple rump roast crock pot recipe is!
This is the Best Crockpot Roast!
Our entire family loves this meal and it is really so simple. Everything gets tossed into the slow cooker and you get to come home to dinner waiting.
It is the perfect meal for busy week nights!
While this meal looks fancy and the meat is so tender and delicious, it is so simple. Literally, the crockpot does all the work.
Cooking a roast in the slow cooker is the easiest way to make a roast. The meat is so tender and you didn’t do anything but toss everything in the slow cooker!
This is also the perfect Sunday Dinner idea. Find more Easy Sunday Dinner Ideas.
Ingredients for crockpot roast:
- Roast – I like to use a chuck roast for this recipe.
- Potatoes– Use the type you prefer and cut into chunks. I used small baby yellow potatoes so there was no cutting but you can use Russet potatoes as well. If you use Russet potatoes, peel and dice them before adding to the crock pot.
- Carrots– peeled and cut into large chunks.
- Onion– cut into chunks. I used a white onion but a yellow onion would work great too.
- Beef Broth – I use beef broth but beef stock or even chicken broth would work great in this recipe too.
- Minced Garlic – I recommend using minced or fresh garlic. I have tried using garlic salt before and it just doesn’t taste as well in this recipe.
- Italian Seasoning – I have tried all sorts of herbs in this recipe and I find that this blend works the best and it’s the easiest too.
- Salt & Pepper – Of course, we use salt and pepper to bring out all the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Cornstarch – This is to thicken the gravy.
How to make crock pot roast
First, cut all of your vegetables into large chunks. You want them to be bigger so they will not turn into mush.
Second, add the beef to the crock pot and then place the potatoes and carrots around the roast. Then add onion to the crock pot as well.
Next, add all your seasonings and then the beef broth on top in the slow cooker.
Let this cook on low for 8-10 hours. You can cook on high for 4-5 hours if you prefer. I prefer a longer cook time for this recipe so that the beef is fork tender.
Once the roast has cooked, shred the beef.
How to make the Gravy:
It’s time to make the gravy. Use a small bowl and whisk the water and the cornstarch together to make a cornstarch slurry.
Take part of the liquid from the crock pot and put it in a sauce pan. Now, add in the water and cornstarch mixture in with the beef juice.
Whisk this all together and bring it to a boil. Make sure to stir it frequently for about 3 to 5 minutes.
It should start to thicken. Keep in mind it will thicken some more as it cools.
The gravy is amazing and I like to drizzle it all over the roast, carrots and potatoes.
Make sure to taste test the gravy before serving and add more salt and pepper if needed.
How long should a roast Cook in crockpot?
We prefer our roast to cook on low for 8-10 hours depending on how your crock pot cooks. However, you can cook the roast on high as well.
If cooking on the high setting, 5 hours will be plenty of time for the roast to cook and be super tender.
Why is my crock pot roast not tender?
If your roast isn’t tender, that normally means it needs to be cooked longer. I prefer to cook my roast on low all day to insure that is it tender and falling apart.
Also, make sure you have enough liquid. We specifically use 4 cups of liquid to make sure your roast is tender.
What kind of roast to use:
We are using a chuck roast and it turned out amazing. The meat was so tender and the flavor was perfect.
You could also use a rump roast or round roast. Whatever cut of meat you choose to use will be so tender after slow cooking.
My family loved this recipe! It truly is the best pot roast recipe!
Plus, so easy and quick to put together with very little effort.
Do you have to brown a roast before putting it in the crockpot?
No, you do not have to brown the roast. You can toss the roast in the slow cooker without any prep work.
However, if you like to brown your roast first that is totally fine. Some people prefer to brown the roast a few minutes on each side before slow cooking.
Place some olive oil in a large pan and make sure to brown all sides if browning. After searing the meat, place it in the crock pot and add the other vegetables.
Can you use Baby Carrots?
Yes, you can use baby carrots. If so, make sure to use the thick baby carrots so that they don’t fall apart during the cook time.
Can you use wine in the recipe?
Yes, wine is delicious in this recipe. Replace ½ cup of the beef broth for red wine. Red cooking wine or a dry drinking wine would be delicious in this roast recipe.
Can this roast be cooked in the oven?
Yes, this roast can be cooked in the oven but I prefer making it in the crock pot because it’s easy and the beef is always fork tender with very little work.
If making this in an oven, you would want to cover it. Then cook it at a low temperature for 3-4 hours until the beef is tender.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 3-5 days or you can freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months.
Tips for this Recipe:
- Crock Pot – You will need a good crock pot for this recipe. I have been using a multi-cooker and I love it. You can brown the beef, slow cook the dinner and make the gravy all in the same pot.
- Defrost the Beef – Make sure that the beef is fully defrosted before adding to the crock pot. This will ensure that the beef cooks evenly and is more tender.
- Cut the veggies into large pieces – Since the beef requires a longer cook time, cut all the vegetables into larger pieces so that they don’t get too soft while cooking.
- Don’t use Flour for the Gravy – I have found that cornstarch instead of flour works best to make the gravy for this roast. Cornstarch is flavorless so it thickens without changing the flavor of the droppings from the crock pot.
- Skip the potatoes – Don’t put the potatoes in the slow cooker. Instead, serve on mashed potatoes. This gravy tastes amazing over mashed potatoes.
- I take pride in that this recipe is packed with flavor and you do not need any seasoning packets. However, if you want a fun twist on flavor, consider adding in a homemade ranch mix.
- Spice up the heat by pouring in some jarred jalapeños or pepperoncinis.
This is the best rump roast crock pot recipe!
You will be surprised how delicious this crock pot roast recipe is. It is crazy simple but packed with flavor.
No need for expensive seasoning packets when you can make a delicious roast at home with ingredients you probably already have!
Rump Roast Slow Cooker will definitely be a hit.
Try slow cooker pot roast.
Your family will love this easy crock pot roast. It is so versatile and great with red potatoes, or mashed potatoes. Oh and that gravy is delicious every time.
This rump roast crock pot recipe is slow coked to perfection. We all loved this recipe!
Print this Easy Crock pot roast recipe:
The Best Crock pot Roast Recipe
- 2 to 3 lbs roast
- 1.5 lbs any potatoes of your choice cut into chunks (I used small baby yellow potatoes so there was not cutting)
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 onion cut into chunks
- 4 cups beef stock or broth one carton
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water for the gravy
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- First cut all your vegetables into large chunks. You want them to be bigger so they will not turn into mush.
- Add your roast to the crock pot and then place the vegetables around the roast.
- Add all your seasonings.
- Next add in the beef stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Shred the beef.
- Now, time to make the gravy. In a small bowl whisk together the ¼ cup of water and the cornstarch.
- Remove 2 cups of the liquid from the crock pot and place in a sauce pan.
- Whisk in the water and cornstarch mixture in with the beef juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes until it begins to thicken. It will thicken as it cools as well.
- Drizzle the gravy over the roast, potatoes, and carrots and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More roast recipes to make
- Instant Pot Roast Recipe
- Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Roast Beef with Peppers
- Crock Pot Pork Roast Recipe
More crock pot beef recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Beef Tips Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Slow Cooker Red Wine Beef Brisket Recipe
- Crock Pot Beef Ragu Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Beef Burgundy Recipe
- Crock Pot Dill Pickle Pot Roast
Check out our What to Serve with Pot Roast for easy roast dish dish ideas.