Our family loves Chinese take out but now we can make Crock Pot Chicken Chow Mein Recipe at home and save time and money. This recipe tastes amazing and has the perfect blend of flavors.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chow Mein Recipe:
Let your crock pot do all the work and come home to this delicious chicken chow mein for dinner. Eating at chinese restaurants is one of our favorite things to enjoy but eating out is expensive and not always convenient. I can literally toss all of this together in the morning and come home to dinner ready to enjoy.
It makes the entire day easier and takes the stress out of meal time. Your family will think you are great and will never guess just how easy this recipe really is.
All of the veggies blend with the chicken, noodles and delicious sauce for a tasty meal. Who needs take out when you can make recipes like this at home so easily.
What is chicken chow mein?
Chow mein is a easy chinese dish that is made of noodles and vegetables. We like to add chicken to this dish to give it more a filling dinner that we love.
The Chow Mein usually has a dark thick sauce that the noodles are tossed with. We love the combination of the sweet and salty dish that this dish is made from.
A family favorite!
The kids loved this and even ate the veggies. Everyone raved about the flavor and how delicious it was. This will definitely be a recipe we keep on the permanent menu plan around here!
Another favorite around here is this Crockpot Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe. Each bite is so flavorful and delicious. The ginger, brown sugar and soy sauce make everything taste just amazing.
The chicken has the best flavor from being slow cooked all day in this delicious marinade. The vegetables give the entire meal such a pretty pop of color and taste delicious.
What noodles to use for Chow Mein?
We like using the dried version of the chinese noodles. You can use fresh noodles, but we like to keep things easy over here so the dried version worked great.
You easily cook them separately and mix them in once all the the other ingredients are cooked.
What other noodles to use?
We have used other noodles when I wanted to make this dish but was only missing the chinese noodles. Here are some other options to use:
- Ramen Noodles
- Spaghetti Noodles
- Really any type of noodles would work if you have trouble finding stir fry noodles.
- light soy sauce
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- oyster sauce
- ground ginger
- minced garlic
- sesame oil
- sriracha sauce
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- broccoli florets
- snow peas
- shredded carrots
- red bell pepper
- sliced water chestnuts
- dried lo mein noodles
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
How to make Chicken Chow Mein in the Crock Pot:
- Add chicken thighs to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together chow mein sauce ingredients in a small bowl stir and pour over chicken. Which includes the oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- Cover and cook all day on low.
- Remove the chicken from slow cooker, shred, then add back to slow cooker. Stir the chicken with the juice and sauce. If want to thicken your sauce, you can mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir.
- Now it is time to add broccoli, snow peas, carrots, bell pepper and water chestnuts. Stir it all together.
- Cover and cook on high for a few more minutes until the veggies are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, boil over medium heat and cook pasta.
- Once noodles are done, drain pasta per package directions, then add to crockpot with chicken and vegetables.
- Lastly, stir everything together and serve.
Difference between Lo Mein and Chow Mein:
Basically it depends on whether you want soft and chewy noodles or thinner noodles. The chow mein noodles are served with thinner noodles and are normally cooked in a stir fry.
Low Mein has soft and chewy noodles and are tossed in the sauce. Whichever noodles you decided to use, the dish is delicious.
Variations for Chicken Chow Mein:
We love recipes that you can have variations and they still come out delicious.
- Substitute chicken breast instead of the chicken thighs.
- Make shrimp stir fry crock pot recipes by adding shrimp instead of chicken. Yum!
- Try other veggies- cauliflower, onion, baby corn, bean sprouts and more.
What to serve with crock pot chicken chow mein recipe?
You have everything you need in this recipe for a great dinner- chicken, veggies and noodles. Yum!
If you want to have a “take out” night without leaving the house, try Egg Roll in a bowl, easy fried rice, and we love these Asian Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
You can even use your chopsticks!
Not only is it a really tasty meal but it is so fun to eat. We have these adorable kid chopsticks and the kids just love them.
Dinner time is fun with chopsticks and the kids eat without a fuss. Grab some chopsticks for the adults too.
No one even asks for chinese food takeout anymore with these great meals we now make at home!
A good Crock Pot is a must!
Our favorite crock pot to us is this programmable crock pot for when I am am not at home all day. I love coming home to a nice meal ready and waiting!
I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
You can even use your Instant Pot and have dinner done in about 30 minutes.
Print recipe here for Crock Pot Chicken Chow mein:
Crock Pot Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 5 oz can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1 lb. dried lo mein noodles
- sesame seeds for garnish
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Add chicken thighs to bottom of slow cooker insert. Whisk together sauce ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred, then add back to slow cooker with juice and sauce.
- Add broccoli, snow peas, carrots, bell pepper and water chestnuts, and stir.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are cooking, boil and drain pasta per package directions, then add to crockpot with chicken and vegetables. Stir well, then serve with garnishes, if desired.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Can you just use regular soy sauce or do you need both dark and light?