Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe is a delicious one pot meal. In just 30 minutes, this cheesy chicken dish can be on the table for an easy dinner.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
I love an easy and delicious skillet recipe. This recipe for chicken and rice skillet is the perfect meal when you need a quick dinner. Not only is it the best comfort food, but it comes together without much work.
Everything you need for a great meal is in this quick and easy recipe. From the chicken and rice to the veggies with cheese, this skillet is the best meal. The kids won’t even complain about eating their veggies thanks to all that cheese.
Your family can enjoy a great meal even during days when there isn’t much time for cooking. Plus, cleanup is so easy since you only have the one pan.
This really is the best meal when you need something simple but sure to be a hit. Everyone will love Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts -Diced into 1 inch pieces.
- olive oil
- minced garlic. You can use garlic powder if you prefer.
- salt and pepper
- onion. Chopped.
- Frozen Peas and Carrots
- chicken broth
- cream of chicken soup
- white rice
- cheddar cheese. Shredded by hand
How to make chicken and rice skillet:
- First, use a large skillet and add the olive oil. Heat the oil over medium high heat and add the diced chicken, onions and seasoning to the skillet.
- Let the chicken cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until the chicken has browned.
- Then add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. Your kitchen will smell amazing.
- Next, add the chicken broth, veggies, cream of chicken soup and long grain white rice into the skillet. Combine everything and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Let this cook covered for 17 to 20 minutes. This will vary a little but you just want most of the water to be absorbed and rice is tender.
After 15 minutes stirring and checking on the dish. Times will vary so it is a good idea to check.
- Finally, remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.
Serve warm and enjoy! The cooking time is minimum and the prep is effortless.
I think everyone will agree how amazing this is once they try it. We have it on our regular mean plan rotation. We just love this recipe.
What to serve with Chicken and Rice?
- Rolls – It is totally optional but bread is really yummy with this cheesy chicken dish.
- Green beans – For extra veggies, make sautéed green beans in minutes for a tasty side dish.
- Steamed broccoli – The microwave makes it fast and easy to steam broccoli for an easy side.
Truthfully, I have skipped the sides before and just served this cheesy chicken as is. It is a delicious one pot meal.
How to store leftover chicken and rice?
Put the leftovers inside an air tight container in the refrigerator. They will keep up to 5 days.
I normally reheat in the microwave. The time will vary depending on how much you are warming up. I normally start with 45 seconds and stir it. Then heat in 30 second intervals.
Is easy chicken and rice recipe freezer friendly?
Yes, Leftovers can be frozen up to 3 to 4 months. Just make sure to store using a freezer bag or container so it is sealed tightly. This will prevent the food from getting freezer burn.
When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat the next day.
Can I use chicken thighs instead?
Definitely. You can easily substitute chicken thighs in this recipe. I doubt anyone will even notice.
It is just as tasty and delicious. The chicken thighs blend with the rice and chicken for a delicious skillet meal.
Can I use fresh vegetables?
Yes, fresh vegetables can be used in this recipe. I usually used canned because it is just so easy during busy weeknights. However, feel free to use fresh if you prefer.
They will require a few extra minutes to cook so they are still tender. I love using mushrooms, carrots and cauliflower to change things up.
When it is summer, I often use garden veggies. This recipe is very versatile.
- Veggies. We used peas and carrots but broccoli would be a tasty substitution. If using broccoli, try using a steamer bag and cook as normal.
I would suggest chopping into small pieces before adding to the skillet. The broccoli should be in small bite size pieces.
- Broth. While chicken broth is best, you can substitute vegetable or beef broth in this recipe.
- Condensed soup. Substitute any type of cream basked soup in this recipe if needed. Some ideas include cream of mushroom and cream of celery. It will change the flavor a little but still be delicious.
- Cheese. We used cheddar but Colby cheese would also be delicious. For even more cheesy goodness, add extra cheese based on what you prefer.
- Cooked rice. You can use cooked rice if you have leftover rice that needs to be used. Just note that the dish will not cook as long and the liquid will need to be reduced.
- Shred the cheese. Do not use a bag of shredded cheese. It only takes a few extra minutes to shred your cheese and it will melt much smoother. You can really tell the difference in the creamy consistency.
- Dice chicken evenly. Try to cut the chicken into pieces as evenly as possible. Small bite size pieces will cook the same amount of time and quickly.
What kind of rice is best?
I like to use a long grain white rice. I think it turns out perfect and the texture is creamy and delicious in this cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe.
You can substitute brown rice but it will take longer to cook and likely need more liquid. While, it can be substituted, I suggest white rice in this recipe.
Can I use homemade cream of chicken soup?
If you are out of store bought cream of chicken soup or just prefer homemade, we have the perfect recipe for you. You can use homemade cream of chicken soup in this recipe.
If you have never made homemade cream soup, it is actually very simple to do.
Print this cheesy chicken and rice recipe below:
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 12 oz Package of Frozen Peas and Carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.5 oz can
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan of medium high heat. Add the diced chicken, onions, salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the chicken is browned.
- Add in the minced garlic and heat for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken broth, peas and carrots, cream of chicken soup and rice into the skillet. Bring it the mixture to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat the low.
- Cook covered for 17-20 minutes until most of the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe