Next time you need a can of Cream of chicken soup try this EASY Homemade Cream of chicken soup recipe. It is easy to make…. almost too easy.
It was Christmas Eve and I was off to make my YUMMY Cheesy potato casserole for a family gathering that night. Low and behold – I was out of cream of chicken soup. I panicked! Who wants to go to the grocery store on Christmas eve for one can? NOT ME! That is just crazy talk. 🙂 So after texting two neighbors and begging them for a can, I came up empty handed. Apparently there was a shortage of cream of chicken soups in my neighborhood. 🙂 So instead of panicking… I finally tried to make homemade cream of chicken soup. I was surprised how great it tasted and how easy it really was to make!
You know you have that recipe that you just LOVE and it calls for a can of cream of chicken soup. Instead of using a can – make this recipe instead.
You just need three ingredients:
- 1 can of Chicken broth (or you can use homemade)
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 3/8 cups of flour
Toss in some poultry seasoning, pepper, some garlic salt and you can make your homemade version.
All you are really doing is making a roux – similar to what we did here – it is just a flavored thickener that you can use in soups and casseroles. Trust me… try it… you might like it.
My husband and I were shocked. It tasted amazing and it worked great in my casserole dish. 🙂 I call that a winner!
- 1 can of chicken broth
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅜ cup of all purpose flour
- about a half tablespoon of seasonings (poultry seasoning, garlic salt, and pepper) - I just eye ball it and taste it.
- Bring half the milk and the chicken broth to a boil in a small pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix half the milk and the flour with a whisk.
- Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the sauce pan.
- Cook on low for 3-5 minutes until it thickens (stirring frequently)
- Add in seasonings and stir.
- Allow it to cool (it will thicken more as it cools)
- This makes one can of cream of chicken soup. You can easily double, or triple this recipe and freeze into your own "cans".
How to freeze it:
Freezing it is easy – just make according the the directions. Allow it to cool completely. Separate into containers or freezer bags and freeze. Allow it to thaw and use in recipes like normal. If you are using your crock pot, you can even place the cream of chicken soup in there frozen. It is that easy!
Learn how to make chicken stock and save money from the store bought version.
Make sure you try some of these delicious recipes that you can use this new cream of chicken soup recipe in:
- Creamy Chicken Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes
- CopyCat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
- Best Cheesy Potato Casserole (made with frozen hashbrowns!)
- Crock pot chicken pot pie