We are going to show you how easy it is to make homemade cream of mushroom soup. Don’t buy the canned stuff and make this easy recipe at home. It tastes amazing!
We love casseroles and dishes that typically call for cream of mushroom soup. It’s the best comfort food! Well, I started thinking about making homemade cream of mushroom soup!
Everyone was very impressed with how delicious it turned out and I was so pleased with how easy it was to make. I don’t think I will ever buy store bought again.
I have been making homemade cream of chicken soup for awhile now and honestly don’t know why I waited so long to make cream of mushroom soup. You are going to love it too.
Homemade cream of mushroom soup
The next time you are making something calls for condensed soup, make it from scratch instead. It is very simple!
This is also so handy if you are in the middle of cooking and realize you don’t have what you need. Instead of running to the store, save time and money and make cream of mushroom soup at home.
- all-purpose flour
- chicken stock (You can also use beef broth for a slightly different flavor.)
- milk or half-and-half
- salt and pepperilk
- garlic powder
How to make cream of mushroom soup:
First, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.
Second, add the flour. I like to use a whisk to mix it all together. This also helps to get out any clumps.
Next, pour the chicken stock and milk into the mixture. Now, whisk all of that until smooth.
You don’t need many seasonings. Just salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Now, it is time to add them and stir everything together.
Bring everything to a simmer and keep cooking until your sauce starts to thicken. This does not take long so DON’T walk away and do something else.
Lastly, add the mushrooms and stir to combine. Remove the cream of mushroom sauce from the heat and let it completely cool.
How to store homemade cream of mushroom soup?
Store in airtight container in refrigerator. My favorite is a mason jar. They are easy to reuse, inexpensive and I normally always have several on hand!
You will love having this on hand to use in your favorite recipes.
Recipes to use cream of mushroom soup:
- Hamburger Potato Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Beef Tips Recipe
- Crockpot Smothered Chicken
- Easy Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Meatballs Recipe
Save time and money.
I have been slowly trying to make more and more things at home. I love that I don’t have to worry about what is inside or any hidden ingredients.
You can know exactly what is going into the food you are eating. This is so comforting especially as a mom!
Once you start making this and trying new things at home, you will see it does not take long. Sometimes, I hesitate to do things because I think it might be complicated or time consuming.
Just start with one or two recipes and go from there. Don’t try to make everything at once or you will become overwhelmed.
Easy Homemade Chili Seasoning is another easy recipe to try.
Make this easy cream of mushroom soup and see how simple it is. It is easy to make with chicken stock or beef broth for a different flavor. Just use what you have.
You can even use vegetable stock. Anyone that loves mushrooms, will enjoy this delicious recipe.
It is so creamy and tastes amazing with any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom. If you want to make it dairy free, use coconut milk. For gluten free, use a gluten free flour.
As you can see, it is so simple to modify based on your needs.
Print this cream of mushroom soup recipe below:
Cream of mushroom Recipe
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms sliced and sauteed
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over a medium-low heat
- Add in flour and whisk together until well combined
- Add chicken stock and milk, whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
- Bring to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes
- Add in any additional ingredients like chicken, mushrooms or celery
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Learn how easy it is to make cream of celery soup.