Charla (a fellow Coupon Closet reader) was so kind enough to share with me her HomemadePancake and Waffle Mix recipe with me years ago. We have deemed it the BEST Homemade Pancake and Waffle mix that there is.
Before couponing, we always used the box mixes to make our pancakes and waffles. However, those are really expensive when you think about what is actually in the box. Most of it is flour! If you have been couponing for a while with me, you know that pancake mix can be hard to get it for cheap.
Well, your problems are solved! You not have to be a perfect chef to make delicious pancakes. The best part is that you can make the same delicious pancakes for your family for half the cost (without using coupons!).
Now if you love to cook waffles and pancakes you are going to need a good waffle iron and a good griddle. I highly recommend this waffle iron that we use for our Belgian waffles, but any of these that are on sale here should work great.
Now since my family cooks pancakes in huge batches and then freezes them for easy breakfasts, I highly recommend you have a good griddle. It makes cooking huge batches of pancakes a breeze. There are several griddles that are on sale here.
- 9 cups of flour (you can also used whole wheat flour -just only do half or less of whole wheat flour)
- 7 tablespoons baking powder (make sure it isn't old) 🙂
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- Mix all the ingredients in a freezer bag. There you have it! You just made your very own pancake mix.
- On the bag, write the following directions so you don’t forget how to make your pancakes:
- “Take 1½ cups of pancake mix, pour in bowl; in separate bowl, mix 1¼c milk and 1 egg. (optional - Add 2 tablespoons of melted butter and a teaspoon of vanilla).Then pour liquids into mix. Mix well and pour onto hot griddle. “
- Yes, it is that simple! Enjoy! (You can use this same recipe for waffles too! )
Since I have a big family, I just double the recipe above and wrote that on my freezer bag, because I will never make less than 2 servings. In fact I generally make 4 times the amount above in one setting because I freeze pancakes for future use.
I hope you enjoy it and it helps you save more money!
Don’t forget – you can make a BIG batch of waffles and pancakes and actually freeze them! Find out how here.