Oven baked bacon is so quick and saves you time from standing over a hot stove. Learn how to cook bacon in the oven in minutes.
Oven baked bacon Recipe
If you get tired of frying bacon and dealing with grease popping, try making it in the oven.
Once you learn how to cook bacon in the oven, you cook bacon any other way. I actually have been cooking bacon in the oven for years. It is so much easier and a lot less mess to clean up.
I really never liked frying bacon and my kids absolutely love bacon. Instead of telling them no all the time, I learned to cook it in the oven.
Plus, this is a great way to make a bunch of bacon at once. You can fit a ton on the baking sheet. This is perfect if you have a large family or have company over.
The only ingredient you need
Bacon. You do not need anything else. We do like to use parchment paper when baking bacon, but that is it.
How to make oven baked bacon
Oven baked bacon is actually so delicious and really effortless.
You can still get the bacon crispy if that is how you prefer or a little soft. Just adjust the cooking time. Some of the family wants really crispy bacon and some wants it softer.
I just take out half of it sooner and let the rest cook longer to get really crispy. It is so easy and everyone is happy.
- Parchment paper
- Baking Rack (optional)
Different Types of Bacon You Can Buy
- Thin Bacon: This is for for ultra-quick cooking and will get you the crispiest bacon
- Medium Bacon: You can still get crispy bacon, but ti will take longer and some pieces will be chewier.
- Thick Bacon: Buy this bacon, if you like a thicker, chewier bacon.
How to cook bacon in the oven
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Do not start with a cold oven. You want the oven preheated for the crispiest bacon.
Second, line a baking sheet with parchment paper while the oven is preheating. You can also line a baking sheet with foil, but I prefer parchment paper.
Next, put the bacon slices in a single layer on top of the parchment paper in the sheet pan.
How long does it take to cook bacon at 400?
Finally, bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on how crispy you prefer bacon. Start checking the bacon after 15 minutes. The bacon will crisp up slightly more after they have cooled slightly.
The time will also vary based on thick cut bacon or regular cut.
I suggest using a paper towel lined plate to put the cooked bacon on. This will help drain any excess bacon fat once you transfer the bacon.
Tips for crispy bacon in the oven
- If you prefer perfectly crispy bacon, place the bacon on a wire rack (baking rack) on top of the parchment paper on the rimmed baking sheet. This is optional but another idea.
- This recipe is great to pre-make bacon for the family for the entire week! I love to make a big batch of bacon and everyone can enjoy all week for a quick breakfast or to make a BLT for lunch!
- Bacon will keep up to a week. Just microwave to reheat.
- Don’t forget to use a paper towel to help drain the grease. It makes a big difference.
- Need to feed a crowd? You can use 2 large baking sheets to make even more bacon. My baking pans fit a pound of bacon on each and makes it so easy to cook a bunch.
- Make breakfast for dinner! I don’t know why but just a simple change in times and my kids go crazy over this dinner idea!
Is It Healthier to Bake Bacon?
Here are 2 reasons why it is better to cook bacon in the oven than fry it on the stove:
- My favorite thing about baking bacon is that the grease from the bacon drips off and is collected below the rack if you use a baking rack. That means it stays off the bacon.
- Another step I take to help make my oven baked bacon healthier is placing it on a paper lined plate. This allows any grease to drip off and soak into the paper towel.
I also like to pat off any remaining grease with a paper towel. This further reduces the amount of fat left on each slice. This also makes the bacon crispier too.
While baked bacon is slightly healthier than fried bacon, it is still bacon. Enjoy it in moderation. Whenever we have bacon, I like to serve it with fresh fruits and whole grains to make a complete meal.
How to Use Cooked Bacon
- Make a BLT – Bacon, lettuce and tomato Sandwich. Have you tried this with fried green tomatoes?
- Bacon goes great with pancakes or waffles.
- Make Bacon Bits – Crumble the cooked bacon to make homemade bacon bits.
Perfect to put on a salad or on a baked potato.
- Brunch- bacon, cheesy potatoes, biscuits and fruit. Yum!
- Easy Bacon Biscuits – Homemade biscuits are so easy.
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon and Eggs. It is so good scrambled together.
How to Store Baked Bacon
- How To Store. Place the cooked bacon (after it has cooled) in an air tight container. Cooked bacon will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- How To Reheat. You can re-crisp your leftover baked bacon slices by placing on on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F.
Reheating in the microwave is another option. Place them on a paper towel lined plate and microwave in 30 second intervals until heated through.
How to Freeze Cooked Bacon
Freezing cooked bacon is very easy. Allow the baked bacon slices to cool completely.
Then place in an airtight freezer-safe storage container. Freeze. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Remove and thaw slices as desired. I like to reheat them in the oven so they become crispy again.
This is my favorite way to cook bacon.
Cooking bacon in the oven is such a hassle free way to cook this. Once you try it, you will be hooked.
The bacon turns out perfectly and you didn’t have to deal with grease splatters or big messes. It is a win all around.
I’m happy keeping the kitchen clean and my kids are happy getting to enjoy bacon more frequently. Give this a try and let us know how it turns out for you.
Once you make it, come back and leave a comment telling us how it turned out for you. I think you will agree that it is a game changer.
Print the recipe for Oven Baked Bacon:
How to cook Bacon in the oven
- 12 Slices Bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the bacon slices on top of the parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bacon is the crispiness that you prefer.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More bacon recipes:
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Foil Packet
- How to Bake Turkey Bacon
- Easy Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- The best Bacon Wrapped Cheeseball
- Air Fryer Bacon