I’m always looking for easy breakfast ideas and this bacon egg and cheese casserole is just that! This simple casserole is easy to throw together and a filling breakfast idea.
Bacon egg and cheese casserole
This delicious casserole is one of those easy breakfasts that you can just throw it all together without having to do a lot of thinking first thing in the morning . Please tell me I’m not the only one that struggles in the mornings?!
Don’t judge me! I know I can’t be the only one who has trouble thinking straight in the morning. 😉
Just like my French Toast Casserole and Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole Recipe you can actually assemble this the night before. Then, it’s all ready to be cooked in the morning. I love it! However, you can make this the morning off too!
If you are more of a night person like me, throw this together the night before and have one less thing to do in the morning. This is such a time saver on busy school mornings.
This is a pretty standard recipe that you can easily add to it. Start with this simple breakfast casserole and jazz it up any way you want.
Easy breakfast casserole ingredients:
- ½ pound bacon
- diced onion
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (16 oz) frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
How to make bacon egg and cheese casserole:
Fry bacon in skillet. Remove and pour out grease. Once bacon is cooled, crumble into small pieces.
In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until tender (this adds some nice bacon-y flavor to your onions and peppers).
In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, hash browns, cheese, salt and pepper. Add in crumbled bacon, onions and peppers.
Pour mixture into greased 13×9 pan.
Bake at 350 F (177 C) for 35-45 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
If you are making this the night, simply cover with foil once you add egg mixture to pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
Garnish with green onion if you like.
What to serve with bacon egg and cheese casserole?
Everything you need for breakfast is in the crock pot. You have bacon, eggs and hash browns. Yum!
You really do not need much else but maybe some fresh fruit. We love this Easy Tropical Fruit Salad.
We also love this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. So good!
Time saving tip
One of our favorite time saving tips is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions. If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them.
They are such a time saver and you make cooking so fast and easy. I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need.
It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes. We save a ton of time during the week by having items like this already on hand chopped and ready to go in the freezer.
This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Learn and how to freeze onions and also how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen! Lots of the recipes we cook call for onions and peppers so this is such a great time tip that we use frequently.
You will love having peppers and onions all ready to go! It is quick and easy.
Variations to easy breakfast casserole:
- Try other types of meat. Sausage is good.
- Omit the meat for Meatless Monday.
- Try different types of hash browns- diced, shredded, etc.
- Use different types of cheese- Monterrey Jack, Colby, sharp cheddar and others are all delicious in this breakfast casserole
- Add more veggies to the casserole mixture.
Bacon egg and cheese hashbrown casserole freezes great!
You can easily make 2 or 3 of these bacon egg and cheese casseroles and freeze them.
I make mine in these 9×13 throw away pans. Cover with foil and then freeze. When you are ready to cook, pull from the freezer and allow it to thaw overnight. Then cook at 350 degrees for about 1 ½ hours. No mixing, no mess, and breakfast is done!
You might even want to give one of these casseroles away to a friend. I know it would brighten their day!
This is such an Easy Make-ahead Breakfast Casserole!
Print this delicious bacon egg and cheese casserole recipe:
Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 8 oz Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 1/2 Green Pepper diced
- 12 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes (16 oz)
- 1 cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Fry bacon in skillet. Remove and pour out grease. Once bacon is cooled, crumble into small pieces.
- In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until tender (this adds some nice bacon-y flavor to your onions and peppers).
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, hash browns, cheese, salt and pepper. Add in crumbled bacon, onions and peppers.
- Pour mixture into greased 13×9 pan.
- Bake at 350 F (177 C) for 35-45 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- If you are baking in the morning, simply cover with foil once you add egg mixture to pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy breakfast ideas:
- French Toast Sticks recipe
- Easy Scrambled Egg Muffins
- Quick and Easy Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- Mini Donut Muffins
- Easy Pancake Muffins Recipe
- Easy Quiche Recipe
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos Recipe
- french toast muffins recipe
Try these other easy casserole recipes:
- Easy Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- Crock pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
- Easy Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Crock pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole
Check out more of our favorite overnight breakfast casserole recipes.
would this freeze nicely?
What a great recipe for x-mas morning. Make ahead the night before. Pop in oven whiles kids open gifts. Then have breakfast! Fantastic!!!
You know you can cut your work way down on this recipe by cutting the bacon up with scissors first, and then frying. It just makes it so much easier.
how many can it feed?
I would say about 6 people.
This was a great recipe for our Christmas weekend. Better the second day when we reheated it. Yummy!!!! Thank You Carrie!
could i substitute cut up potatoes instead of hash browns?
Yes, that’ll work!
Do you cook this before you freeze it??
I usually freeze this after it’s cooked. Thanks!
This is wonderful to fix the night before and cook the next morning
The best breakfast casserole ever! This is now my family’s favorite!
I make this a couple of times a month and my family loves it! I’be made it with ham and sausage as well and it’s still delicious!
So easy to make!! I had everything on hand except the peppers.
I didn’t cover it with foil.
Nice casserole to cook ahead for weekday breakfast! so fast I even used package bacon pieces and it turned out delicious! Easy peasy!
Delicious and perfect for company