Freezing onions will save you so much time in the kitchen. This is one of our favorite ways to meal prep and so easy to do once you learn how to freeze onions.
Can you Freeze onions?
I have gotten lots of questions about freezer cooking, so I am slowly going to be posting my tips from week to week. Basically my favorite way of freezer cooking is to help out my time in the kitchen.
The easier it is to make my dinners, the less likely we are to head out to eat. The more we eat at home, the more money we save.
One of the easiest ways to start freezer cooking is to start with chopping onions.
Can you freeze chopped onions?
Chopping is our preferred method to freeze onions and it works great.
Chopping onions seems like such a simple task, but when you have to do it every day… It gets old! We eat a lot of onions, usually with every meal.
How to use Frozen Chopped Onions:
Frozen chopped onions are great for soups, stews and sautéing with vegetables. Even your crockpot meals, spaghetti, cooked dishes, and other easy meals just got easier. They are also great for caramelized onions.
You do not need to thaw. I personally prefer to freeze them in freezer bags. Just remove from freezer the amount you need and add to your recipes.
I know it seems so silly, but this is a HUGE time saver in the kitchen.
How to Freeze onions:
- Peel and Chop Onion – Simply peel and chop your raw onions like you would for dinner. Check out How to Cut an Onion.
- Chop Multiple Onions – Instead of chopping up one fresh onion, chop up 3 or 4 (it only takes a few minutes more). Plus, I only have to deal with the onion odor once.
- Store Onion in freezer safe container – Then place in a freezer friendly container, or a baggy. I used to separate them into individual servings (like in the picture above), but now I just dump them all in one container or quart size zip lock freezer bag.
- Place on a baking sheet – This is optional, but I like to take the freezer bags and lay them on a baking sheet. Then place in the freezer. This helps to freeze them flat and better for storage. Once frozen solid, then you can remove the baking sheet.
- Freeze Onion – Onions freeze individually so it works out just as well to put them all in the same bag.
- Take out what you need – When you need some you can just pull out the ones you need. This also works great with sliced onions, if you want to have sliced on hand for chicken fajitas.
- Break apart Onions – Then just bang the frozen onions bag against the counter. The onions will break apart and just toss whatever you need in your pan or crockpot.
Freezing onions will save you money:
Onions are not the most expensive, but if you buy 10 onions or a bag of onions when they are at rock bottom price at Aldi or at our local store, Crest Market, you can then freeze them.
You can almost always find these cheap at any number of grocery stores.
Instead of paying FULL price for onions, you can now stock up at the lowest price possible. Plus you will also save more time in the kitchen when making soup stew and other delicious recipes.
If you love this tip, make sure to check out all my favorite ways to save money on groceries.
How long do onions last in the freezer?
Onions last for awhile in the freezer, usually several several months. You can easily chop and freeze a large quantity and use them over time.
Now that you know how long can you freeze onions, it is so easy. It is a great way to save time and money.
How to freeze onions and peppers:
You can freeze bell peppers just like you freeze onions. I save even more time and use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop the veggies.
If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you can get the veggies really fine.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need. It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes.
This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Get more information on how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen!
Can you freeze green onions?
Yes! You absolutely can freeze green onions.
Simply chop and freeze the green onion the same as you would a regular onion. Easy!
We love green onions and it saves a lot of time having them in the freezer.
Can you freeze chopped celery?
You can freeze celery and it is another great time saver. It is best to use frozen celery for cooking because it will lose its crispness after freezing.
Print the instructions here:
How to Freeze Chopped Onions
- Peel and chop the onions based on your preference.
- You can chop multiple onions.
- Then store the chopped onions in a freezer safe container or freezer bag.
- Store the bag or container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you need some onions, break apart the frozen chopped onions and take what you need for your recipe.