Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe has everything you need for a delicious meal. The creamy chicken, mushrooms and pasta come together for the best comfort food. Plus, it is just so easy to make!
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe
Whether you need a great dish for company or something to serve during busy weeknights, this easy Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe is the best chicken casserole.
We love to use leftover chicken to make Chicken Tetrazzini and it is a tasty way to stretch your meat budget. The recipe only calls for 3 chicken breasts but it can really feed a large family. The creamy sauce and pasta make this amazing!
If you prefer to make this in a skillet instead of casserole style, try this Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe for a simple skillet meal.
Why is it called Chicken Tetrazzini?
The recipe is named after Italian opera singer Luisa Tetrazzini. It is believed to originate in the early 1900’s. The singer was a regular at a San Francisco hotel and frequented the restaurant inside.
Ingredients for chicken tetrazzini casserole:
- chicken breasts
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
How do you make Chicken Tetrazzini from scratch?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the linguine based on the package instructions. Drain and save some of the pasta water.
In a large skillet, melt half of the butter amount over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they are tender.
Next add in the chicken, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Cook over medium heat until the chicken is golden brown on all sides stirring occasionally. This only takes a few minutes.
Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan to a separate dish. Leave any remaining sauce in the large skillet.
Then over medium heat, melt the remaining butter in the large skillet.
Whisk in the flour until thoroughly combined.
Then whisk in the broth and heavy whipping cream adding them each slowly.
Then cook the sauce until it thickens.
Toss in the pasta, chicken and mushrooms to combine. Add some of the pasta water if needed to thoroughly combine.
Place in a 9X13 baking dish. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
Bake and enjoy!
Keep reading for the full recipe.
What to serve with chicken tetrazzini?
Pair this dish with a green veggie and you are ready to go! We love these delicious roasted green beans with chicken tetrazzini. They only take a minute to prepare and they are so yummy.
You can also add green peas to the chicken mixture and that is yummy.
The creamy mushroom sauce is so delicious that you might also want to have bread to dip into it. I like to get every last drop.
Feel free to grab a loaf of bread from the bakery. You do what works for you!
Can you freeze chicken tetrazzini casserole?
I often will make 2 of these and put one in the freezer. It does not take any more work and you can have an extra for later.
It is so nice having another night of dinner taken care of and in the freezer.
This recipe is perfect in a 9×13 casserole dish. The ones with the lid are really handy as well.
I use the disposable pans if I am taking this meal somewhere or for the freezer. That also helps with clean up on those busy nights.
This dish is also perfect to take to potluck dinners or to someone recovering from surgery or with a new baby.
It’s nice to just be able to toss the dish. Plus, they don’t have to worry about trying to get it back to you.
This easy chicken tetrazzini casserole recipe is easy to adapt for what you have on hand.
We have even used cream of mushroom soup and rotisserie chicken in a pinch before. It was delicious and our family loved it!
Leftover turkey and egg noodles also make a great combination in this dish.
Try substituting chicken thighs in this meal for the chicken breasts. It is also very tasty and goes great in this dish.
I like to use what I can purchase on sale at the grocery store or already have in the freezer. Just use what you have. The great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is.
It is easy to modify for what you have on hand and this really helps your budget. By cooking like this, it really helps me to save money on groceries. It is a huge help to our budget.
I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning! Save that money for something else!
Sometimes we add red pepper flakes for a little heat. So good! Everyone will enjoy this dish!
It is super easy to make work based on what you have on hand. Give this easy and versatile recipe a try this week.
Print this easy chicken tetrazzini recipe below:
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 3 chicken breasts diced into approximately 2″ pieces
- 16 oz Linguine
- 1/4 Cup Butter Divided Evenly
- 2 cups of mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the linguine based on the package instructions. Drain and save some of the pasta water.
- In a large skillet, melt ½ of the butter amount over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they are tender (approximately 5 minutes).
- Next add in the chicken, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until the chicken is golden brown on all sides stirring occasionally (approximately 6-7 minutes).
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan to a separate dish. Leave any remaining sauce in the large skillet.
- Then over medium heat, melt the remaining butter in the large skillet.
- Whisk in the flour until thoroughly combined.
- Then whisk in the broth and heavy whipping cream adding them each slowly.
- Then cook the sauce until it thickens, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Toss in the pasta, chicken and mushrooms to combine. Add some of the pasta water if needed to thoroughly combine.
- Place in a 9X13 baking dish.
- Top with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe