This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
With very little prep work, Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole comes together quickly and easily. Tender chicken, flavorful pesto and more combine for a delicious meal everyone will enjoy.
Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Casserole Recipe:
We love a good casserole and this Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole does not disappoint. Throw it together in minutes and the crock pot does all the work.
Each bite of chicken is so tender from being slow cooked all day and has a ton of delicious flavor. This meal is budget friendly and so easy to make. Everyone always loves this casserole slow cooker recipe.
We love that you can make this many different ways. Add in vegetables to make this a complete meal. This is the perfect weeknight meal that everyone will love.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Pasta?
This is such an easy one pot meal. You really do not need much else to go with it.
- Side Salad – I usually serve it with a simple salad. It is easy and goes great with the pesto chicken.
- Roasted Vegetables – Other ideas include Roasted Green Beans. You can also learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave for a super easy veggie side dish.
- Bread Sticks – We love to serve this chicken pasta for a delicious meal idea.
As you can see, we keep everything very simple. Spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (or use chicken tenders)
- Salt and Pepper
- Pesto Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Rotini Pasta, cooked
How to Make Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole:
- Step 1 – Add Chicken to Slow cooker – First, place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart slow cooker or you can use a casserole slow cooker.
- Step 2 – Season Ingredients – Season with salt and pepper and spread the pesto sauce over the chicken. Then place the butter and chicken broth on top.
- Step 3 – Cook – Cover and Cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. You can also cook on high heat for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked through.
- Step 4 – Shred Chicken – Remove the chicken and shred. Stir the chicken back in.
- Step 5 – Mix in pasta – Stir in the pasta, mozzarella and the parmesan. Now you want to just cover and cook so the cheese is melted. This is only a few minutes.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Right before serving, sprinkle with more mozzarella cheese. Once again, add the lid back on the crock pot and cook until melted.
Do you Cook Pasta before adding to Slow Cooker?
Yes, we recommend cooking the pasta according to the package directions. Cook the pasta al dente but do not over cook. They will be heating in the slow cooker.
Pesto Chicken Pasta Crockpot Recipe Tips:
- Cooking Casserole – Add in the ingredients to the slow cooker. Then at end of the cooking time mix in the cheese, pasta, and parmesan. If you add these ingredients to soon the pasta could get mushy.
- Cook Pasta Separately – Before mixing in the pasta to the slow cooker, make sure you have cooked them separately. I like to add olive oil when cooking pasta.
- Chicken – Feel free to place frozen chicken in the slow cooker to make this recipe.
Chicken Pesto Pasta Crock Pot Variation Ideas:
- Chicken – We used chicken breast for this recipe, but you can also use skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Additions – Feel free to add in basil pesto or slices cream cheese for a creamier texture. We have even squeezed fresh lemon juice for added flavor.
- Broth – We used chicken broth in this recipe, but any type of liquid will work. You can simple use water to combine with the other ingredients.
- Pasta – We like to use rotini pasta for this recipe. But any small size pasta will work. You can use penne pasta or rigatoni noodles. You can also make this recipe for low net carbs pasta.
- Vegetables – You can sneak in vegetables to this casserole dish. Mix in slice mushrooms, bell peppers, or chopped broccoli. For added flavor, add in red pepper flakes for an extra kick in this recipe.
- Instant Pot – This recipe can also be prepared in the instant pot.
How to Store Pesto Chicken Pasta Crock Pot Recipe:
These leftovers are amazing the next day. The ingredients marinate together overnight to create a delicious lunch the next day. Store in individual air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days.
Store in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave when ready to serve.
Print easy Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole below:
Crock pot Pesto Chicken Pasta Casserole
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the pesto sauce over the chicken and place the butter and chicken broth on top.
- Cover and Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Stir the chicken back in.
- Stir in the pasta, mozzarella and the parmesan. Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes:
- Crockpot Pineapple Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot Mango Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Crockpot Root Beer Chicken Sandwich
- Slow Cooker: Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- Crock pot Chili Lime Drumsticks Recipe
More Pasta Recipes
- Pasta Carbonara Cheesecake Factory Recipe
- Crock pot Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- Easy Creamy Chicken Alfredo Recipe