This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Recipe is keto friendly and so delicious the entire family will love it. The tender and flavorful chicken is topped with lots of pesto and cheese for a meal sure to be a hit.
Crockpot Pesto Chicken Recipe:
We have a really simple recipe for you that is perfect for busy weeks. Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Recipe only requires a few simple ingredients and the results are so tasty.
Even better, this is a keto friendly recipe so you can stay on track. The chicken is so delicious that the kids will go crazy over it and you can easily serve it to the entire family. You might want to try our other 35 Best Keto Crockpot Recipes.
Cheese makes everything better and there is definitely a ton of cheese on this delicious chicken. The pesto gives it an amazing flavor and you will love this easy meal idea.
What is Pesto Chicken?
Jazz up plain boring chicken with pesto. It is so simple but turns chicken into something really amazing. Easy Keto Pesto Chicken is a flavor recipe that is made with simple ingredients.
If you make Pesto from scratch it combines the ingredients of garlic, pine nuts, salt, basil leaves and hard cheeses. We used store bought pesto sauce but you can definitely this delicious sauce from scratch.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Pesto Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
You will be amazed at what just a few simple ingredients can make. This chicken is so easy and tastes delicious.
How to Make Pesto Chicken in the Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Add chicken to Slow Cooker – Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Step 2 – Season Chicken – Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3 – Top with pesto and butter – Spread the pesto sauce over the chicken and place the butter on top.
- Step 4 – Slow Cook Chicken – Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 2.5-3.5 hours until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F).
- Step 5 – Top with Cheese – 15 minutes to 20 minutes before ready to serve top the chicken with the sliced mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Step 6 – Serve and enjoy – Serve immediately and while warm. This is so easy that you can enjoy a nice meal even during busy week nights.
What to Serve with Pesto Chicken:
When we make slow cooked pesto chicken we like to keep the sides dishes simple. Because this chicken is keto friendly, I just to make sides that are low carb. Even my family that isn’t trying to eat low carb, enjoy this recipe low net carbs per serving.
- Cauliflower Rice – Make cauliflower rice for an easy side that is simple to make and is low carb too.
- Mashed Potatoes – If you prefer, you can make a batch of mashed potatoes to serve with this chicken. Add a side of roasted vegetables for a complete meal idea.
- Pasta – There some low carb pasta options your can make. You can also prepare some whole grain pasta. It is delicious served with pesto chicken and taste great.
- Zucchini Noodles – For a delicious side that is low carb and healthy make some zucchini noodles.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Slice Tomatoes – Once the chicken is cooked and right before you add the cheese, top the chicken with slice tomatoes. This adds flavor and color to your recipe.
- Cheese – We used slice cheese but you can also use shredded cheese if you prefer. You can also top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Chicken – Use chicken thighs or chicken tenders instead of chicken breast if you prefer.
- Casserole Dish – Instead of preparing Pesto Chicken in the slow cooker bake it in a baking dish. Bake the chicken for about 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
- Homemade Pesto – We used store bought basil pesto, but you can easily make homemade pesto.
- Chicken Broth – If you would like extra sauce to serve over rice or pasta, add some chicken broth to the slow cooker.
Tips for Crockpot Pesto Chicken:
- Spray Crock Pot – Before placing the pesto chicken in the slow cooker, make sure to spray with olive oil, avocado oil or cooking spray. This will prevent the chicken from sticking to the slow cooker.
- Low Heat – We recommend cooking this recipe on low heat. The chicken taste better and is not rubbery. But we have had good cooking on low and high heat.
- Chicken – When we make this recipe, we usually serve it as whole chicken. But you can shred the chicken if you prefer and serve over rice.
- Shredded Chicken – Shred chicken with two forks by hand or with a stand mixer. Either way the chicken turns out delicious.
- Pesto – As the pesto cooks in the slow cooker, the color may change to a darker color. This does not change the taste of the pesto.
Can I use Chicken Thighs instead?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs in this recipe. We recommend boneless chicken thighs so you do not have to worry about the bones.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store you leftovers in an air tight container and place in the fridge. Your leftovers will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
We like to store our leftovers in an individual containers for a quick lunch the next day.
Do I need to Add Liquid to the Crock Pot?
As the chicken cooks liquid is created. If you need to add liquid you can add in chicken broth to prevent the chicken from drying out.
Print Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Recipe:
Crock Pot Pesto Chicken Recipe
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the pesto sauce over the chicken and place the butter on top.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 2.5-3.5 hours until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F).
- 15 minutes before ready to serve top the chicken with the sliced mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and while warm.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Pesto Recipes:
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Chipotle Recipe
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe