This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is perfect for potlucks or for an easy weeknight meal. Simple ingredients makes this a family favorite casserole.
This chicken casserole is loaded with flavor, has a creamy sauce texture and is the ultimate comfort food. This king ranch chicken casserole recipe is perfect to feed my large family because of how hearty it is.
If you love Chicken Recipes, then you need to check out these easy chicken casserole recipes. Ultimate Chicken Casseroles Recipes, Crock Pot Crack Chicken Casseroles, and Delicious Chicken Nugget Casseroles.
You may also love John Wayne Casserole Recipe.
What is King Ranch Casserole?
This casserole is called King Ranch because it refers to a large ranch in Texas. This Tex-Mex casserole is loaded with layers of chicken, tortillas cheese, and simple spices.
It is hearty, delicious and easy to make.
Why We Love this Casserole Dish:
- One Pan – One of my favorite reasons I love casseroles as everything cooks easily in a casserole dish. That means clean up is a breeze which saves time for our busy weeknights.
- Simple Ingredients – This is a great recipe to use leftover chicken and other simple ingredients. We like to cook once, eat twice when we make recipes. Which saves me a ton of money by creating new meals.
- Quick and Easy – If you need a casserole that is quick and easy, this is the casserole to make. You can also easily make ahead of time and reheat when ready to serve.
- Olive Oil
- Small Onion (diced)
- Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup (10.75 ounces)
- Cream of Chicken Soup (10.75 ounces)
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies (10 ounces)
- Chicken Broth
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Chicken – This is a great way to use leftover chicken. You can use cook chicken breast, chicken thighs, or rotisserie chicken.
- Vegetables – You can use different types of vegetables. Add in green bell pepper, slice zucchini, or slice mushrooms. I like to use this casserole to sneak in vegetables.
- Tortilla – The recipe calls for corn tortillas, but you can also use flour tortillas. You can also use tortillas that fit within your diet restrictions.
- Cheese – Use different types of cheese as your prefer. Use Mexican blend cheese, pepper jack cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese, or Colby Jack Cheese.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Step 2 – Cook Vegetables – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the diced onions and red bell pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Step 1 – In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Then add in chicken broth.
Step 2 – Then stir in the diced tomatoes with green chiles, chili powder, and garlic powder. Then add in sautéed onions and peppers and cooked shredded chicken until well combined.
Step 3 – Cut the tortillas in half. Then spread half of them along the bottom of the baking dish.
Step 4 – Assemble the casserole by spreading half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Then top with half of the shredded cheese.
Step 5 – Then repeat the layers 1 more time in the pan: tortillas, chicken mixture and shredded cheese.
Step 6 – Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the mixture is heated through and the casserole is bubbly.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from the oven. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy.
What to Serve with King Ranch Chicken Casserole?
This casserole can easily be served with many different side dish. I like to make a light and small side because this casserole is so hearty.
- Cornbread – This homemade cornbread is made from scratch and taste better than store bought cornbread.
- Salad – Make this delicious Caesar salad to pair perfectly with this casserole recipe.
- Roasted Vegetables – Serve this with roasted broccoli for a delicious and healthy side dish.
Chicken King Ranch Casserole Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Casserole Dish – Prepare the baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. This helps for serving the casserole and for easy clean up.
- Combine Ingredients – Combine the vegetables, spices and cooked chicken in a large bowl. Make sure everything is combined before layering in casserole dish.
- Tortilla – Layer the tortilla in the casserole dish. You may need to cut them to fit in the baking dish.
- Baking Casserole – Bake the casserole until it has heated thoroughly. If you find that the cheese is burning, then you may need to cover with aluminum foil.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Topping Ideas:
When serving this casserole, I like to serve with different toppings. These are some of our favorites.
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Slice Avocado
- Diced Green Onions
- Chopped Spinach
- Slice Black Olives
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 2-3 days. Store in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve again, reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
Yes, this chicken casserole is great to freeze. This is a great recipe to double and freeze the leftovers. This would be a perfect casserole to prepare for a friend too.
Store the casserole in a freezer safe container. If it is stored properly, the casserole will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, allow the casserole to thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes:
- Crack Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Easy Nacho Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Easy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole Recipe
We love hearing from you. Make sure to leave us a comment if you try this King Ranch Chicken Casserole.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup 10.75 ounces
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup 10.75 ounces
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 10 ounces
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 cups Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the diced onions and red bell pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.
- Then stir in the diced tomatoes with green chiles, chili powder, garlic powder and sautéed onions and peppers and cooked shredded chicken until well combined.
- Cut the tortillas in half and spread half of them along the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas and top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Then repeat the layers 1 more time in the pan: tortillas, chicken mixture and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the mixture is heated through and the casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes and then it’s ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe