This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are looking for a creamy casserole that is loaded with flavor, try Chicken Divan. Diced chicken, broccoli in a creamy sauce and topped with crackers.
Broccoli Chicken Divan Recipe:
This Easy Chicken Divan Recipe is loaded with diced chicken, broccoli. Then mixed in a cream sauce then topped with crushed bread crumbs. This casserole is perfect as a weeknight meal or served with your holiday dinner.
Chicken Divan Easy Recipe is a simple casserole to make with easy ingredients. We love that this casserole is perfect to make ahead and have ready for a busy weeknight.
This casserole can be served with many different sides including mashed potatoes, rolls, or rice. Make this flavorful family friendly casserole the next time you need a quick meal.
What is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is a classic casserole that is creamy, delicious and full of flavor. It is the perfect casserole to use up leftover chicken. It is often called broccoli divan if no chicken is added.
- Chicken – Cook fresh chicken or dice up leftover chicken to mix with the other ingredients.
- Broccoli – We like adding fresh broccoli to this casserole. You can use frozen as well but fresh is what we prefer.
- Cream Sauce – The cream sauce consist of simple ingredients. They include sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and milk. We like to add in some chopped celery and onion for added flavor.
- Easy Seasoning – Simple pantry seasoning gives this casserole so much flavor
- Crunchy Topping – The crushed bread crumb topping is a must with the melted butter. It makes the topping golden brown.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- Yellow Onion, diced
- Celery, diced
- Broccoli Florets, about ½ lb.
- Cream of chicken condensed soup
- Sour Cream
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Mustard Powder
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Panko Breadcrumbs
How to Make Chicken Divan:
- Prepare Oven – Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut Chicken – Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a small bowl.
- Melt Butter – Melt butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken and vegetables to pot – Add the chicken, onions, and celery and toss to coat.
- Cook chicken and add in broccoli – Sauté for 3 minutes, until chicken is about halfway done, then add the broccoli
- Continue Cooking – Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add in additional ingredients – Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, seasonings, and half of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place in a casserole dish and add cheese. – Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Then top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and Bake – Cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Increase Heat – Remove and increase heat to 400 degrees.
- Top with crumbs and bake – Combine the melted butter and panco bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve and Enjoy – Remove and let it sit for 5 minutes prior to serving. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese for extra cheese flavoring.
What to Serve with Chicken Divan:
This Chicken Divan can be served alongside many different dishes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes – This recipe is a game changer and makes mashed potatoes so simple. No need for separate pans and boiling potatoes. This easy recipe does not require any boiling or draining.
- Homemade Biscuits – This chicken divan is served perfectly with some homemade biscuits.
- White Rice – Make Instant Pot white rice for an easy side dish. We like to serve this chicken divan on top of the white rice. The chicken, broccoli and sauce makes this dish so delicious.
Chicken Divan Tips:
- Leftover Chicken – You can use leftover chicken if you prefer. If you do, then sautéing the chicken isn’t necessary. You can just cook the onions and celery to make them soft. Rotisserie Chicken is always a good option.
- Change Ingredients – Make this an even quicker meal. You can easily make this by mixing the leftover chicken with broccoli and the sauce. No need to cook onions or celery. The casserole will still be delicious even with less ingredients.
- Prepare baking dish – Make sure to prepare pan by greasing it before adding the ingredients. This will help with dish the casserole and for clean up.
Variations for Chicken Divan:
- Broccoli – You can use frozen broccoli or fresh broccoli. We used fresh broccoli in this recipe, but use what you have.
- Cheese – We used cheddar cheese in this recipe, but you can use what you have. Colby Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese works great.
- Chicken – Use any type of chicken you prefer. We used chicken breast in this recipe but you can use chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Seasoning – The seasoning can easily be changed or added. We have added some curry powder for some warm flavor.
Can I Make this Casserole ahead of Time?
Yes, this casserole can be made ahead of time. Make casserole as indicated but do not add the topping. Place casserole dish in the refrigerator and cover it for up to 2 days.
If you prepare ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. You may need to add an additional 15 minutes to cooking time.
How to Store and Freeze:
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator covered in an air tight container. If stored properly, it will last up to 3 days. We like to store in individual containers as it is the perfect lunch the next day.
This Chicken Divan can also be frozen. Place in a freezer safe container and it will stay good for about 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or oven.
Easy Chicken Divan Casserole Dish:
You will be amazed how easy this chicken divan casserole is to make. It is one of my go to family meals when I need something quick and easy to make. It is delicious and every one loves it.
This classic casserole combines many flavors but the ingredients are still simple. This chicken divan would be perfect for sharing with a friend in need or taking to your next pot luck.
Print Recipe here for Chicken Divan:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite size pieces
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 stick celery diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets about ½ lb.
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 2-3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, onions, and celery and toss to coat.
- Sauté for 3 minutes, until chicken is about halfway done, then add the broccoli
- Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, seasonings, and half of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and increase heat to 400 degrees.
- Combine the melted butter and panco bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove and let it sit for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Chicken Casseroles:
- Slow Cooker Pesto Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- Easy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole Recipe