Broccoli and Rice Casserole is made from scratch with easy ingredients. Creamy, cheesy casserole that is full of flavor and easy to make.
Broccoli and Rice Casserole Recipe:
Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a staple for our holiday dinners. We have tried many different ways to make this creamy casserole dish, and this one is our favorite. This casserole is made from scratch and there is no cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom included.
Fresh broccoli, cheese, rice and other simple ingredients make this casserole dish a family favorite. It is creamy, cheesy and the perfect side dish to serve with your holiday turkey and ham.
This cheesy broccoli casserole is a family favorite and easy to make. This side dish is perfect to feed a crowd or freeze your leftovers to serve later. Simple, delicious and cheesy casserole dish that is made with easy ingredients.
What type of Broccoli do I use?
In this recipe you can use fresh or frozen broccoli. We used fresh broccoli in this recipe, but frozen work just as good. Make sure to not overcook it before adding it to the casserole.
- Broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- White Rice
- Onion, diced finely
- All Purpose Flour
- Whole Milk
- Dry Mustard Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole:
- Prepare the oven and baking dish. – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the Broccoli – Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Put the broccoli in the boiling water and cook it for 2 minutes. Then immediately place the broccoli in a bowl with ice cold water to keep the broccoli from over cooking. Then set the broccoli aside.
- Melt Butter and add in other ingredients – Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté the onions until they are translucent. Then whisk in the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Whisk in Milk – Then slowly whisk in the milk until all the milk is combined. Continue whisking over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cheese and seasoning – Then remove the mixture from heat. Then stir in the dry mustard powder, paprika, cream cheese and 1 ½ cup of the cheddar cheese. Continue to stir (not on the heat) until the mixture is combined and the cheese is fully melted.
- Add in Rice and Broccoli – Then gently stir the rice and broccoli into the cheese sauce in the skillet.
- Spoon into Baking Pan – Spread this mixture into the 9X13 baking pan. Top the mixture with the remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30 minutes to 35 minutes. Or until the casserole is bubbly and the top of the casserole is slightly browned.
- Serve and Enjoy – Once casserole is done cooking, serve and enjoy.
Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole Tips:
- Broccoli – I used fresh broccoli but you can use frozen as well. Just make sure that it doesn’t get over cooked with blanching the broccoli.
- Shred Cheese – Use freshly shredded cheddar cheese so that it melts smoothly and evenly in this casserole.
- Prepare Vegetables. When we will be making this casserole, I like to go ahead and prepare the broccoli if I am using fresh.
- Double the Recipe – This broccoli cheese casserole is great frozen, so double the recipe so you can serve it again.
- Cook Rice – You can cook the long grain rice ahead of time to save time. Just place in the refrigerator and it will be ready to mix into this casserole.
Variations on Broccoli Rice Casserole:
- Low Fat Option – You can easily use low fat cheese and low fat milk to lighten up the casserole.
- Rice – You can use brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice if you prefer.
- Add Meat – You can easily add in meat to this recipe. Shredded chicken, ham or turkey can be added. It is a great way to use up leftover meat.
- Change the Cheese – We used cheddar in this recipe, but you easily use other types of cheese or mix cheeses. You can use swiss or monterrey jack cheese to change the flavor.
- Add in other vegetables – Sneak in other vegetables such as cauliflower or peppers to this easy casserole.
- Fried Onion – For the amazing onion flavor, you can top the casserole with some fried onion or mix it in.
- Sour Cream – You can mix in sour cream with the ingredients for a creamier texture.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole:
This is great served as a side dish for your holiday dinner or if you do not eat meat. This casserole can be served with many different meats including pork chops, these are some of our suggestions:
Can you Freeze Broccoli and Rice Casserole?
We recommend freezing the casserole unbaked. Prepare the casserole as indicated in the recipe. We recommend doubling the recipe and store properly so it is ready to go for all your holiday baking.
Make sure to store in a freezer safe container and it will last about 3 months. If doubling the recipe, freeze in individual serving containers.
How to Reheat Frozen Broccoli and Rice Casserole:
When you are ready to serve broccoli casserole, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place thawed broccoli casserole in a baking dish and reheat in the oven. You can also reheat in the microwave.
If you reheat in the microwave, heat in 30 minute intervals and watch for hot spots
Can you Make Casserole ahead of time?
You can easily prepare this casserole the night before. Store it in the refrigerator before baking it. Then make sure that the casserole comes fully to room temperature before baking it based on the instructions.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. When we prepare this dish for the holidays, we always have so much leftover. We like to serve with turkey and ham leftovers, that we eat on it for several days.
Print Recipe here for Broccoli and Rice Casserole:
Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 4 cups Broccoli cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups White Rice cooked
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 Onion diced finely
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese softened at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Put the broccoli in the boiling water and cook it for 2 minutes and immediately place the broccoli in a bowl with ice cold water to keep the broccoli from over cooking. Then set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Then whisk in the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then slowly whisk in the milk until all the milk is combined. Continue whisking over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Then remove the mixture from heat and stir in the dry mustard powder, paprika, cream cheese and 1 ½ cup of the cheddar cheese. Continue to stir (not on the heat) until the mixture is combined and the cheese is fully melted. Then gently stir the rice and broccoli into the cheese sauce in the skillet.
- Spread this mixture into the 9X13 baking pan. Top the mixture with the remaining shredded cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the top of the casserole is slightly browned.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Casseroles:
- Easy Nacho Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Tator Tot Casserole Recipe
- Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Noodle Casserole Recipe
Is the “2 cups of rice cooked”
before or after cooking?
After cooking. Thank you