I can honestly say that this Homemade Cornbread Recipe is one of my all time favorites. It’s so easy to make and tastes better than any of the pre-made mixes.
Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe:
You are going to love this easy homemade cornbread recipe. Making cornbread from scratch isn’t as hard as you might think. This cornbread recipe is the perfect side dish to our favorite crock pot meal.
This cornbread recipe is super easy to make. We think it tastes much better than store bought cornbread and it will save you money.
I remember the first time I made this recipe. I was surprised by how easy it was to prepare. Trust me, you can definitely make this and your entire family will be impressed with the results.
The Best Easy Cornbread Recipe:
We do call this the best corn bread recipe. We love the way it fills out kitchen with the aroma of fresh cornbread. With just a few simple pantry ingredients, you can make this easy cornbread recipe that your entire family will love.
This cornbread recipe is slightly sweet but also buttery cornbread recipe that I know your family will love. Your family will be asking for seconds.
Easy Cornbread from Scratch:
Have you ever made cornbread from scratch? Once I started making this recipe I never made the box stuff again. I usually always have the ingredients on hand which makes it easy to serve this with our favorite soups and stews.
One the best money saving tip that I use for my family is I make homemade cornbread mixes. This makes it so much easier to have the dry ingredients already mixed together. On the day I decide to make cornbread, all I have to do is add the rest of the ingredients. It really makes my life a little easier in the kitchen.
They are easy to assemble and you get the taste of this easy homemade cornbread recipe without all the extra work.
What is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is a meal ground from dried corn. This staple ingredient is a must when preparing cornbread. It gives the cornbread a golden-brown color and the grainy texture that makes the best cornbread.
The ingredients for this recipe are not complicated. If you already love to bake, I bet you already have most of these items in your pantry!
- All-purpose flour
- Yellow cornmeal
- White sugar
- Baking Powder
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Homemade Cornbread:
- Prepare oven and baking pans – First preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then spray a 9X9 baking pan with the non-stick spray of your choice. You can also lightly grease the pan with butter or shortening.
- Combine Ingredients – Simply combine the dry ingredients together then add the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir well. I usually use a hand mixer but you can stir it by hand as well.
- Pour batter into pan – Then pour the batter into your prepared pan. Then bake for 30 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the cornbread will be clean when removed when it’s done.
- Serve and Enjoy – Allow to cool slightly or to room temperature and then cut. I love to serve warm with butter.
What is great with this recipe is you can change it based on your diet or what you have on hand. Here are some variations:
- Use Water – If you are all out of milk, you can definitely use water. Just add about 1 ½ teaspoon of butter to ensure you still have soft and moist cornbread.
- Melted Butter – You can use melted butter instead of oil
- Whole Wheat flour – You can use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour
- Half the Sugar – Reduce the sugar if you don’t want it as sweet
Since you are making this from scratch, you adjust the ingredients as your prefer and what you have. That is why I love this easy recipe.
Topping Ideas for Cornbread
What do you top your cornbread with? You can use fun toppings that make this easy cornbread recipe even more amazing. Try these toppings the next time you make cornbread:
- A little bit of honey
- Honey Butter
Even if you like your cornbread fresh out of the oven, you will not be disappointed.
What Can I substitute for Vegetable Oil?
If you prefer to use something other than vegetable oil. Here are some of our suggestions. Any of these would work great with this cornbread recipe.
- Canola Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Melted Butter
What is the Difference between Southern Cornbread and Regular Cornbread?
- Southern Cornbread – This type of cornbread is made with white or yellow cornmeal. It usually is made with more eggs and has a cakelike texture.
- North Cornbread – This type of cornbread has a crumbly texture and is made with fewer eggs and yellow cornmeal.
What kind of Pans can you Cook Cornbread in?
There are 3 different types of pans that can be used for this recipe. I usually use a metal or glass 9X9 baking dish. However, you can also use a cast iron skillet for this recipe.
When using a cast iron skillet, warm up the skillet by putting it into the oven while it is preheating. Then follow the rest of the original recipe and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes until cutting this cornbread recipe.
What to Serve with Cornbread:
- Soups or Stews – It is the perfect bread to serve with soups and stews. We also like to crumble it and mix in a bowl of beans.
- Chili – Add to your favorite chili recipe. I like eating it on the side of my chili with some melted butter on top. But my husband crumbles it up puts it in his bowl of chili.
- Other Options – Check out What Goes with Cornbread for more ideas.
I love that this recipe is so versatile. This easy recipe is a base cornbread recipe. It is so simple to add in your favorite ingredients to make this recipe your own!
- Honey is a great addition to this recipe, if you like sweet cornbread. All you have to do is add ¼ cup of honey to the ingredients and mix it in before baking.
- If you prefer spicy foods, I recommend that you add chopped jalapeños prior to baking. You can easily remove as much seeds to give this homemade corn bread recipe the prefect amount of spice.
- Cheese is also a great add in for this recipe. I love making cheddar cornbread. Mix in approximately ½ cup of your favorite cheese to all the other ingredients.
- Cornbread Muffins – We love cornbread muffins in muffin tins.
Can you Freeze Cornbread?
Yes, you can freeze cornbread. Cornbread freezes very well if stored properly. Place cornbread in a freezer safe container and it will last about 3 months.
Print this Homemade Cornbread Recipe below:
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×9 baking pan with non stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Stir well.
- Pour into your prepared pan and baked for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, and then cut and serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe