This easy crock pot chili recipe is easy to throw together and the slow cooker does all the hard work! There is nothing better than delicious chili in the Fall and Winter months.
Crockpot chili recipe is simple to make but packed with tons of flavor!
Chili is something my family looks forward to and this classic crockpot chili recipe is exactly what they want.
Since we make it with half ground turkey and my frozen beans, it is actually quite healthy! If you are trying to reduce your saturated fat, this recipe is great made with ground turkey or ground chicken.
You are going to love this easy slow cooker chili. It is so simple to make. Just dump it all in, and come home to dinner smelling delicious!
Now that I brown my ground beef or turkey before I freeze it, making it in the crockpot is a breeze. I know your family is going to love it too.
You’ll need a great crock pot to make this slow cooker chili recipe.
I use my crock pot a ton. Probably 3-4 times a week at a minimum. So trust me when I say that I have tried a ton of different crock pots.
My all time favorite slow cooker so far is the Ninja cooker. My family uses this one frequently because you can brown the meat in the same slow cooker for recipes that need that, like this one!
This slow cooker is perfect for this recipe because you can brown the ground beef or turkey in the ninja cooker and then throw all the other ingredients in and simply change it over to the slow cooking feature. It’s a complete game changer!
If you need a new slow cooker, I would definitely take a look at one of these first. They are awesome!
It cuts down on pans to clean and makes slow cooking even more simple. It has become of my favorite kitchen appliances.
If you are not interested in that one, then I would recommend that you use a programmable crock pot. This one is great for when you’re not at home during the day. There is nothing better than coming home to a nice meal ready and waiting for you!
I also really like this crockpot. My favorite feature on this slow cooker is that you can lock the lid down. This is awesome for when you need to take the crockpot somewhere.
I often use the slow cooker to take dishes to potluck events and this feature is amazing! There are several others on sale here.
I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
Ingredients for easy crockpot chili:
- 2 pounds of ground beef or turkey
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes(2-14 oz cans)
- 1 can (14 oz) of tomato sauce (diced tomatoes work too)
- 4 tablespoons of chili seasoning (I love using my homemade chili seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- ½ onion chopped (can be frozen)
- 2 cans of kidney beans (I use mine from the freezer as I love making my own “canned” beans). If you do not use canned beans, you will need to add some salt to your recipe as well.
- shredded cheese or sour cream to serve (optional – but it tastes amazing on this recipe so I definitely recommend them!)
Can you make your own chili seasoning mixture?
The short answer on this one is YES, definitely! I love making my own chili seasoning mixture. It not only saves money but I love knowing exactly what’s in my food.
How to make crock pot chili
This recipe is easy to make. I love slow cooking because it requires little prep work and the crock pot does all the hard work! Woohoo!
First you need to brown your beef or turkey. Since I brown mine before I freeze it I just tossed it in the crockpot frozen.
Next toss everything on top in the crockpot (except for the cheese and sour cream).
Do you need to drain canned beans for this chili recipe?
For this recipe, I generally do not drain the kidney beans that are used in this easy crock pot chili as I find that it does not change the recipe or flavor if they are drained or not.
However, if you are going to use black beans instead of kidney beans (which would taste great too), I recommend that you drain and rinse the black beans prior to adding them to your slow cooker.
How to make chili in a crockpot
After you brown the ground beef, all you have to do is dump everything in the slow cooker. I cook this easy chili recipe on low for 6-8 hours or cook high for 3-4 hours.
This chili recipe is pretty thick as I love a thick chili in the winter time. Once it has cooked, if you would like it to be thinner, I recommend adding 1 cup of beef broth to the crock pot for approximately 30 minutes. Stir occasionally until the chili is the consistency that you would prefer.
After this cooking time, top this chili with cheese, sour cream, and even some chopped green onion. Yummy!
Side dishes for chili
I love serving this easy crockpot recipe with some homemade cornbread. Here are a few delicious options that you can choose from.
- Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Sweet Honey Cornbread Recipe
- Corn Bread Muffins
- Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread Recipe
- Gluten Free Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
Did you know that I also make my own homemade cornbread mix to make preparing cornbread even easier? I love having these cornbread mixes on hand so I can whip up some delicious cornbread in no time at all!
How to add in vegetables
One of my favorite things about crock pot recipes is that they can easily be alter to fit the needs of your family and this best crockpot chili recipe winner for dinner is no different!
If you like spicy chili, I would recommend adding approximately ¼ cup of green chilis to this recipe or you can add your favorite hot sauce to add a delicious kick to this already easy and yummy recipe.
If you are needing more vegetables for your family and you, adding them to this easy crock pot chili is easy and simple. I have often added bell peppers or carrots if I have them on hand to add even more nutrients to this already healthy recipe.
The Best Chili Toppings
Chili is delicious but the chili toppings is what really makes chili go from good to delicious! Here are a few of the best chili toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar cheese (or any kind of shredded cheese. Pepper Jack is delicious too)
- Saltines or Ritz Crackers
- Fritos or any kind of chips – Some like to use tortilla chips or Doritos
- Diced onion – Green onion or red onion is a personal favorite
- Hot Sauce – a quick splash will spice it up.
- Cornbread – crumbling cornbread on top of a hot bowl of chili is also delicious.
- Check out What to Serve with Chili for more ideas.
Print this easy crock pot chili recipe below:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef and drain off any excess grease. Put the browned meat in the crock pot.
- Toss everything else in the crock pot and stir together (except for the cheese and sour cream).
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with topped with cheese, sour cream, and even more chopped onions if you would like.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Be sure to check out more of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.
Take your chili to the next level when you make this delicious Crock Pot Chipotle Chili Recipe.
Try these other chili recipes:
- Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Vegetable and Beef Chili Recipe
- One Pot Tex-Mex Chicken Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Easy Keto Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Taco Chili
- White Chicken Chili Recipe