This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
From Game Day to family dinner, Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie is versatile and delicious. The slow cooker does all the work and the results will leave everyone asking for more.
Crockpot frito pie recipe
Growing up we had the traditional chili pie baked in the oven. Everyone always loved it and it got me thinking how I could make it even easier.
This simple dish gets even better when you use the crock pot instead of a baking dish. Come home to dinner ready and waiting and enjoy a great meal.
What is a crock pot frito chili pie?
Frito Chili pie combines everything you love about chili with delicious fritos. Add your favorite toppings and you have Frito Chili Pie that everyone will love.
If you love chili, you will love this recipe.
What’s in a Frito pie?
Regardless of what you call it, this recipe has all the ingredients sure to impress your family. Lots of hearty pinto beans, tomatoes, ground beef and more.
And don’t forget the best part….Fritos. I like to top mine with extra onions and cheese and it is just the best comfort food.
- Ground Beef
- Minced Garlic
- Garlic Salt (also see The Best Garlic Salt Substitute)
- Chili powder (See The Best Chili Powder Substitute)
- Tomato Sauce
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Beef Broth
- Toppings – Fritos, Cheddar cheese, sour cream and onion
How to make Crock Pot Frito chili pie recipe:
- First, combine all of the ingredients except for the fritos and toppings in the slow cooker. It is that simple.
- Then just cover and cook. You can use the high setting and cook for 2 hours or the low setting for 6. I like to break up the ground beef during the last hour.
- Stir and serve ground beef mixture with your favorite toppings.
Print recipe for full details below.
Crockpot Chili Pie needs a toppings bar.
We love to load our Slow cooker frito pie recipe with lots of yummy toppings. It is perfect for family dinner, game day and more.
I make sure to put out lots of toppings and everyone can load their Frito Pie up with lots of yummy toppings.
Of course you need frito corn chips so make sure you have lots of those.
- shredded cheese. Try cheddar cheese, Colby, mozzarella and more.
- sour cream
- green onion. White onion and red onion also taste great with this.
- hot sauce
- diced jalapeno peppers. Perfect for the ones that like extra heat.
This is the perfect meal to feed a crowd and so simple to put together. Make a big crock pot of this amazing recipe and your guests will be coming back for more.
- Frito pie for kids. My kids love this frito pie as is. The only thing I do differently is omit the extra jalapeno peppers on top for their serving. Since we have a topping bar it is easy to let everyone customize this dish.
- Canned Chili. If you are short on time and would like to serve chili pie, try using canned chili. I prefer making my own homemade chili in the slow cooker but this is an option if you are short on time. Make sure you get a good chili with beans if using canned.
- Ground turkey. You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.
- Doritos. Change things up and use Doritas instead of corn chips. You can use any variety of Doritos. Spice things up with the flaming hot doritos if you like spicy dishes.
- Beans. Add a can of pinto or kidney beans to this recipe.
- Diced tomatoes. If you like the mixture a bit chunkier, use diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes.
- Taco seasoning. You can use a packet of taco seasoning instead of the other seasonings if you prefer.
- Spicy. If you like spicy dishes, add extra chili powder. Substitute the tomatoes for Rotel or any can of tomatoes with green chilies.
- Meat free. Skip the meat and add extra beans and tomatoes to the dish. You can also use vegetable broth instead of the beef broth. I have made it this way and it really is delicious.
You can make this recipe in the instant pot to save time if you have a pressure cooker.
- First, get your Instant pot out and brown the ground beef on the saute setting. Make sure it is completely browned and drain the grease.
- Second, add in all the other ingredients including the beans but not the fritos and toppings.
Next, put the lid on and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure for 5 minutes.
Once it is finished cooking, do a quick release to remove the pressure. Make sure to stir to combine the flavors really good.
- Finally, serve over fritos and all of your favorite toppings.
For more details, check out Instant pot Frito Chili Pie.
How to store:
Leftovers can be stored inside an airtight container in the fridge. They will last up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave until heated through. You may need to add extra liquid to this dish if it is too thick.
Texas Frito pie or Frito casserole recipe
Depending on where you live, this delicious recipe may have different names. We always called it Crockpot frito pie. What do you call it?
Print this frito chili pie crock pot recipe:
Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie
- Add all the ingredients to a 6 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Break up the meat in the crock pot for the last hour of the cooking time.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve over the Frito corn chips, topped with the cheddar cheese and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Frito Chili pie recipes to try:
More crock pot ground beef recipes:
- Crockpot Beef Taco Pasta Recipe
- Crock Pot Chili Mac Recipe
- Crockpot Hamburger Helper Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot American Goulash Recipe
What to serve with chili
Frito Chili pies are delicious. I even love to use leftover chili to make frito chili pies. Check out our What to Serve with Chili for more easy ideas.