This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant pot chili recipe is so hearty and ready in less than 30 minutes prep included. It is the best comfort food and budget friendly.
Instant pot chili recipe
Chili is the best recipe for cooler weather, Game Day or just because. It literally takes minutes in the pressure cooker and anyone can make this.
If you can toss a few ingredients into a pot, you can make this. It is simply the best. The flavor is so amazing that you will think it was slow cooked all day long.
Prep work for this recipe is minimum and really just includes chopping a few onions. If you are like me and freeze onions, you won’t even have that step and can get them out of the freezer.
This recipe goes from pressure cooker to table faster than you can get take out. Enjoy a home cooked meal with your family everyone will love.
Try this recipe when you are short on time but want to cook an amazing meal for your family.
- ground beef. You can use ground turkey instead.
- crushed tomatoes. Diced tomatoes can also be substituted for crushed.
- tomato sauce
- chili seasoning. I love making my own chili seasoning mixture. You can add extra chili powder cumin seasoning if you like a spicier chili.
- garlic salt. If you are trying to reduce sodium, use garlic powder or minced garlic instead.
- onion. I chop this finely so my kids don’t notice. The onion adds so much flavor so you really do not want to omit it.
- kidney beans. Pinto beans also make a great option for beans. You can mix them together.
- Beef Broth. Vegetable broth can also be used.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese. This is for topping .
- Sour Cream for topping. The squeeze tubes are really pretty if you are serving this for parties.
How to make chili in instant pot
- First, add the ground beef to the instant pot and cook it on the sauté setting until no longer pink. Once the beef is browned, use a spatula to break up the beef while it cooks. You can add olive oil if the meat is too dry.
- Next, add in the beans tomatoes and other ingredients. Add the onion and cook. Toss in everything except for the cheese and sour cream. Stir everything together.
- Then seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes with a quick release to release the pressure.
- It is that simple to make bean chili. Serve and enjoy. Salt and pepper to taste.
Topping ideas for Chili:
- Shredded cheddar cheese or any type you prefer.
- Onion. Green onion, red or Vidalia are good options.
- Sour cream. I love to put a dollop of sour cream on top.
- Hot sauce. If you like a little extra heat, add hot sauce to your bowl. Old Bay hot sauce is my favorite.
What to serve with Chili:
- Cornbread. We like this Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe and Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread Recipe. It is delicious crumbled into your bowl of chili.
- Grilled Cheese. Each bite is loaded with melted cheese that is creamy and amazing. You can’t go wrong once you learn how to make the best grilled cheese.
- Crackers or Tortilla Chips. Either of these are delicious crushed and put into chili.
- Baked Potato. You can quickly make several instant pot potatoes to serve with chili. I like to top the potatoes with chili and shredded cheese.
- Nachos. Top nachos with chili for a kid friendly meal in minutes. The chili toppings are perfect for this as well.
- Breadsticks. These are perfect for dipping into the chili. You can use plain breadsticks or make these easy Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks.
- Salad. Make a simple salad to serve with the chili. This is an easy and light option.
How do you thicken chili in an instant pot?
If you prefer a thicker chili, make a slurry using 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Combine and add to the chili using the saute mode.
The chili will thicken quickly.
This is optional and based on preference. I think it is thick enough and actually do not like it too thick.
How to store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 to 7 days.
You can freeze the chili up to 3 months using a freezer container that is air tight. I like to use freezer bags because they lay flat and take up less space. My freezer is not that large so anything I can do to save space is helpful.
Make sure the chili is completely cool after pressure cooking before freezing.
Another tip is to freeze this in individual portions. This will make it so easy to grab for a quick lunch or dinner when you aren’t cooking for the entire family.
Here is another tasty tip for leftovers. You can use leftover chili to make a chili bake. Just place tortilla chips or doritos in the bottom of a casserole dish and top with chili.
Sprinkle with cheese and diced onion and tomatoes. Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted. Garnish each serving with chili toppings.
Tips for Instant pot Chili
- Use lean ground beef to prevent the chili from being too greasy. You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken in pressure cooker chili. There is so much flavor that I doubt anyone notices that you did not use ground beef.
- Feel free to use what you have. I have substituted pinto beans for kidney. I have also used one can of each. It is delicious either way.
- The toppings are optional but they really enhance the dish. I would suggest having a topping bar set out so everyone can easily choose what they want. This is really fun if you are serving chili for parties, Super Bowl or any type of gathering.
- Double the recipe to have extra to freeze. This isn’t any extra work and you have extra meals ready to go. It is one of the easiest instant pot recipes to make and you can easily double this to freeze.
- Cocoa Powder. Some people like to add cocoa powder to their chili. This enhances the flavor if you add just 1 teaspoon. Don’t add too much or it will compete with the flavors instead of enhancing it.
- Meat Free. Omit the ground beef and use vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian option. Add extra beans and tomatoes to bulk up the recipe. The flavor is delicious and no one will miss the meat.
Print this Easy Instant pot Chili recipe:
Instant Pot Chili
- Add the ground beef to the instant pot and cook on the sauté setting. Cook until the beef is browned using a spatula to break up the beef while cooking.
- Then add in the other ingredients except for the cheese and sour cream. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes with a quick release.
- Serve topped with the cheddar cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe