This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Are you looking for a quick and tasty dinner that you’re entire family will enjoy? Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe can be ready in just 15 minutes using your pressure cooker and it is so filling and delicious.
Instant Pot Taco Soup
We love soup once the weather starts to get cooler and it’s something the entire family enjoys. Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe is one of our favorites and it can’t get any simpler than this recipe.
This Pressure Cooker Taco soup is perfect for busy weeknights because it can be ready in ONLY 15 minutes. You can have a home cooked meal on the table faster than going to get take out.
- Ground beef. You can substitute ground turkey or even shredded chicken.
- Taco seasoning. You might also want to make your own taco seasoning. We do this and it’s so nice to just grab a few tablespoons when you need it.
It’s much cheaper than store bought and very handy having a big batch around. If using store bought, only put ½ packet of taco seasoning mix in the soup.
- Garlic Salt. If you need to reduce the sodium, use garlic powder.
- Salt and pepper
- Onion. This adds so much flavor to the soup.
- Corn. You can use canned or frozen.
- Black Beans rinsed. Make sure to rinse black beans or the juice will make the soup murky.
- Kidney Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes. Diced tomatoes taste great too if you prefer a chunkier soup.
- Chicken Broth
- Shredded cheese and tortilla chips. This is for toppings and so delicious.
How to make taco soup in the instant pot
- First, get out your Instant pot and turn it to the sauté setting.
- Second, brown the ground beef. You will need to drain any fat from the meat once cooked.
- Next, just toss everything else in the Instant pot (except for the toppings). It is that easy and takes just minutes on high pressure.
- Place the lid on and and set the valve to sealing. Then set the pressure for 5 minutes.
- Finally, do a quick release and stir all of the ingredients to combine after the pressure release.
Taco Soup Topping ideas:
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese- cheddar, colby, Mexican blend, mozzarella or anything you like.
- tortilla chips or corn chips
- hot sauce. We like Old Bay hot sauce but any type will work that you like.
- green onion or diced red onion
What to serve with taco soup?
- Cornbread. It is delicious served on the side or you can crumble it right into the soup.
- Quesadilla. These are super easy and taste delicious with taco soup.
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders. Spice things up with these tasty buffalo chicken sliders.
These are all delicious options but the soup is filling enough to eat alone. You seriously can’t go wrong with this easy recipe.
Can I use Ground turkey in taco soup?
Yes, you definitely can substitute ground turkey for ground beef. The turkey will take on the flavor from the seasonings.
I doubt anyone even notices and it is an easy way to save money. Normally I just use whatever is on sale or in the freezer.
How to freeze taco soup:
Place the soup inside freezer containers or bags. Make sure it is completely cool. It will keep up to 3 months.
I prefer to use bags because they take up less space and can be frozen flat. We do a lot of freezer cooking and it is nice being able to stack everything.
You might also want to freeze some individual servings. This is perfect for lunches during the week or a quick dinner.
Several days a week, we have activities and it is perfect for those nights. Just grab a container and reheat it.
Learn how to freeze soup for more tips and tricks.
Make sure you have a good pressure cooker.
- Now you will need an electric pressure cooker for this recipe. I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart.
- I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it. You can find the Instant pot on sale here.
- It’s really changed dinner time around here. Those days when I forget to take something out of the freezer is not a problem with my instant pot.
Can I make this in the slow cooker?
Yes, this soup can also be made in the crock pot. This Crock pot Taco Soup Recipe is delicious if you will be away and need to use the slow cooker.
You could even use the stove top to make this. Just cook the ground beef and onion, add the other ingredients and combine. Make sure to adjust the cooking time if you are cooking on low or high.
Bring to a boil and turn to low. I like to let it simmer for 30 minutes so that the flavors can blend together. This is another alternative if you do not want to do pressure cook.
How can you make this keto friendly?
Simply eliminate the beans and it is perfect for keto. Also, don’t add the extra toppings like tortilla chips.
This recipe is really versatile and so easy to make work for the entire family. You will love that.
Everyone will love this soup.
We love to top our soup with shredded cheese, onion, tortilla chips and more. The kids love when I set out a topping bar and they can each just grab what they like.
It makes it fun for everyone. This is also good for parties.
If you need something that will feed a crowd, this recipe will do it. Plus, it’s budget friendly and really fast in the instant pot.
This instant pot taco soup weight watchers style recipe is also perfect for those trying to eat healthy. It is so yummy too.
Our family loved this and it takes less than 20 minutes.
- Chicken. You can also try making Chicken taco soup.
I often just use what I have in the freezer or what is on sale at the grocery store. Shredded chicken breasts or thighs would be just as delicious in this soup. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, shred it for this soup.
I like to use a little olive oil if I’m using chicken breast especially if I need to cook on high in the slow cooker.
- Extra beans. Another idea it to add more beans in recipes to stretch the meat. This is a great recipe to add more beans and corn. It will make your soup go further.
- Meat free. Skip the meat all together. Add extra beans, corn and tomatoes to the soup. Also, use vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
- Green chiles. Spice things up and add a can of green chiles to the recipe. This adds the perfect amount of heat if your family enjoys that.
Print this Instant pot taco soup recipe below:
Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning or ½ packet of taco seasoning mix if store bought
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can of kidney beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Shredded cheese and tortilla chips for toppings.
- Turn the Instant pot on the saute setting.
- Brown the ground beef. Drain any fat.
- Toss everything else in the Instant pot (except for the toppings).
- Add the lid and lock and set the valve to “sealing”.
- Set the pressure for 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release and stir to combine.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe