This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
You will love how simple and delicious this Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup is! It’s hearty, filling and perfect for a cold day! This simple ham and bean soup recipe is everything you love about comfort food, without the work!
Ham and Bean Soup Instant Pot Recipe
This delicious Instant Pot Bean Soup Recipe is quick, easy and oh so filling! You are going to love how quick and simple this recipe is when you use your instant pot.
Is it just me or have instant pot recipes totally revolutionized the way you cook? The beans turn out perfectly tender (without any work whatsoever!) and the ham gives the soup a delicious flavor that will have everyone coming back for more.
It is everything you want for a cold day. No pressure cooker, no problem. You can make Ham and Bean Soup in a crock pot, too.
You may also love this Crock Pot Black Bean Soup Recipe.
What to serve with ham and bean soup?
Pressure cooker ham and bean soup is hearty and filling enough to be enjoyed on its own but I usually like to serve something else along side our meals. These are some of our favorite sides:
- When we make this simple soup, we like to serve it with this Easy Homemade Cornbread recipe.
- For the ones who like a little spice, try the Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread recipe.
- Sometimes I even make some Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls.
Do you need an Instant Pot:
If you need an instant pot, Amazon has several on sale here. I absolutely love mine. I have the larger one and it’s perfect.
Pressure Cooking truly has changed dinner around here because of how quickly meals can be cooked. But I still love my slow cooker.
This recipe is so easy that you will wonder why you didn’t make it sooner. I love to meal plan for the week or even for the next couple of weeks. I prepare my meals and freeze them. Once I am ready to make them, I can toss them in the Instant Pot for a quick meal.
Cooking with an instant pot has been a game changer for my family. Especially those busy nights when I forgot to set something out. Cooking with an instant pot not only provides my family with a good meal, we save money by not getting take out.
- White beans – We used dried beans. I usually use northern beans or navy beans
- Ham – Leftover ham is perfect for this soup. Perfect to use leftover ham from your holiday dinner.
- Chicken Broth
- Carrots; sliced
- Celery; chopped
- Onion; chopped
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Bay Leaves; optional
How to make Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup:
- First, add all of the ingredients into your instant pot liner.
- For this recipe I do not wash, rinse or soak my beans. I just throw the dried beans right on in there. I have cooked this recipe many times without soaking the beans and it has turned out great. However, if you want to wash and rinse your beans, that is absolutely okay too!
- Secondly, stir all of the ingredients together including the carrots and celery and add on the lid. Set the vent to sealing.
- Next, press the manual button and change the time to 40 minutes. You need to cook on high pressure. Since this recipe is liquid heavy, keep in mind that it may take up to 30 minutes for your pressure cooker to reach pressure.
- Lastly, once your pressure cooker beeps letting you know that the cooking time has elapsed, allow your instant pot to natural release for 20 minutes. Then you can release pressure by doing a quick release if it is still pressurized.
- When doing a quick release be very careful because the steam will be hot. Also, it may shoot a little liquid through the vent, if it does this set the vent back to seal and wait a minute or two and repeat.
- Once all of the pressure is released, remove the lid, stir and enjoy! If you used a bay leaf, make sure you remove it before serving so that no one gets a surprise in their bowl!
Tips for the best Ham and Bean Soup:
- We love using a ham bone with this recipe. When I make a ham for the holidays, I always save the ham bone for this specific recipe. It adds so much flavor to the soup so make sure to save it when your spiral ham.
- If you do not have a ham bone, you can get one from your local butcher or from the grocery store.
- Chicken broth or Turkey broth works great with this soup. You can use what you have for some extra liquid and flavor.
- If you love beans as much as we do, try our 15 bean soup with ham. It is made in the slow cooker and it is good.
How to store:
This is my husbands favorite soup for leftovers. I will put the leftovers in individual containers so he can grab a dish as he walks out the door. The leftovers will last about 4 days in the refrigerator.
If we are able to, I like reheating on the stove top, but the microwave will do the trick. Start with 1 minute of heating up and then stir. Then heat until thoroughly heated.
How to freeze Ham and Bean Soup:
You are going to love having leftover ham and bean soup. This is the perfect soup to freeze. The beans hold up perfectly if store properly in the freezer. Once the soup has cooled down, simply place in a freezer safe container.
This soup will last up to 6 months in the freezer. When you are ready to enjoy again, simply heat up on your stove top.
Let us know if you try this recipe!
We love one pot meals around here. Makes life simple and the entire family enjoys a hearty meal. When the weather starts to dip soups, stews and good old fashioned comfort food are on the menu!
A bowl of this yummy soup is perfect for a chilly day. Curl up with a good movie and a bowl of soup and you are set.
If you try this recipe, I hope you leave a comment and let us know what you think of this easy instant pot ham and bean soup recipe.
Print the recipe for Pressure Cooker Ham and Bean Soup Recipe below:
Ham and Bean Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Combine everything into the Instant Pot.
- Stir and add lid. Set the vent to sealing.
- Press the manual button and change the time to 40 minutes. You want it on high pressure.
- Once it is done to a natural release for 20 minutes.
- Stir and enjoy!
- Serves 6-8
- Note: I do not wash and rinse my beans, but you certainly can do this.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy instant pot soup recipes:
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup Recipe