This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Black Bean Soup is a one pot meal perfect to warm you up and the slow cooker makes it super easy. Try this for meatless Monday or any day you want an easy but amazing meal for dinner.
Being a mom of 8, I love to make soups in the slow cooker. With very little prep time, I can easily start this soup before heading out the door. Even my pickiest eater, loves this soup.
Soup Recipes always taste amazing when cooked in the slow cooker. The amazing texture and flavor of this soup, will make this soup a family favorite. If you like this easy recipe, you might also like to try this Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe or 15 Bean Soup with Ham Recipe.
Table of Contents
Why We Love this Recipe:
Every bite of this slow cooker recipe is hearty and delicious for a filling and delicious meal. This easy recipe is also gluten-free, budget friendly and a great way to stretch your grocery budget.
If you are looking for soup that is the best comfort food, you need to try this. It is light enough to enjoy year round but filling enough that everyone will enjoy it.
We can easily feed our large family with this recipe. It is also perfect for parties or large groups. This simple ingredient soup is so simple that everything gets tossed in the slow cooker for a delicious vegan soup.
- Minced Garlic
- Black Beans
- Chili Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Vegetable or Low Sodium Chicken broth
- Diced Tomatoes
- Bay Leaves
Scroll to the bottom to see the recipe card for the full recipe and ingredients.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the spices to what you prefer. You can add in fresh herbs such as cloves garlic. We have even added in red wine vinegar for added flavor.
- Vegetables – This is a great recipe to sneak in different types of veggies. Add in red bell pepper or green bell pepper.
- Canned Beans – In this recipe, we used dried canned beans but if you prefer you can use canned beans.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Rinse the dry black beans under cold water and remove any debris from the beans.
Step 2 – Place the beans in a crock pot. Top with the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, salsa, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, chicken broth and water. Cook black beans with the seasoning and veggies.
Step 3 – Cover the crock pot with lid, and cook on high for 6-8 hours until the cook beans are very soft.
Step 4 – In the last hour of the cooking time, mix in the can of diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Then serve the seasoned black beans with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
- Prepare Veggies – This recipe like many calls for diced onions. Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop the onions. Learn and how to freeze onions and also how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen.
- Prepare Black Beans – Before placing the black beans in the slow cooker. Make sure to rinse the beans and remove any debris.
- Crock Pot Size – I really like this crockpot as it has the feature where you can lock the lid down. That feature is so nice for when you take meals to potlucks or need to transport the meal somewhere.
- Crock Pot Liners – If you want to save yourself even more time then I really recommend these Crockpot liners. They make clean up a breeze. Instead of scrubbing and washing the pot, you can just toss the liner. It is practically no clean up.
- Cooking Process – When making this soup, you can cook on low or high. Cooking time will vary based on your slow cooker. When adding in salt, make sure it towards the end of cooking time.
- Soaking Beans – In this recipe, we did not soak the beans before cooking. But you can, if you have better results.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup Recipe?
- Rolls – We love to serve this soup with crackers or warm bread like Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe. The broth is so delicious that you will want something to dip into the soup and get every last drop.
- Bakery Bread – You can also just grab a loaf of French bread from the bakery and serve the soup with that. Keep it simple and do what is easiest for you.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – Serve this soup over Cilantro Lime Rice for a complete meal idea.
- Homemade Cornbread – Cornbread is another family favorite side dish to serve with these beans.
These are our favorites but feel free to use what you like best. When I make this soup for a crowd, I like to make a topping bar so everyone can add their favorite.
- Sour Cream
- Slice Avocados
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tortilla Chips
- Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Fresh Lime Juice
Frequently Asked Questions:
Use a potato mash to gently mash some of the beans in the crock pot to thicken the sauce. We recommend using a immersion blender to blend the beans in a bowl.
Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
Yes, you can make this on the stove top in a dutch oven over medium heat.
More Easy Black Bean Recipes
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili Recipe
- Crock Black Bean Cilantro Soup
- Black Bean Salsa Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this black beans in a crock pot recipe, make sure to leave us a comment.
Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
- Rinse the dry black beans under cold water and remove any debris from the beans.
- Place the beans in a crock pot. Top with the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, salsa, chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, chicken broth and water.
- Cover the crock pot with lid, and cook on high for 6-8 hours until the beans are very soft.
- ServeIn the last hour of the cooking time, mix in the can of diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Use a potato mash to gently mash some of the beans in the crock pot to thicken the sauce.
- Then serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe