This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is the perfect meal to serve on Meatless Monday or any day of the week. Hearty and delicious, this vegetarian chili will impress the entire family.
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili:
Once the weather starts to get cool, chili is a must. Our family loves this meal and any variation of chili always seems to be a hit. This Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili does not disappoint and will leave everyone coming back for more!
The tender sweet potatoes and hearty black beans make a delicious chili recipe that might just surprise you. If you are fans of traditional chili recipes, give this sweet potato and black bean chili a try for a new twist on chili.
The flavor really is delicious and is so comforting and tasty. This is a great recipe and is a must try!
You will need a crock pot:
We love crock pots around here. I have several and they get tons of use.
If you are in the market for something new, I really love my Instant Pot Aura Crockpot. The nice thing about this is you can brown the meat in the same slow cooker for recipes that call for that.
It is so handy to just have the one pan to clean. It has become of my favorite kitchen appliances. Another favorite is this programmable crock pot for when I am am not at home all day. I love coming home to a nice meal ready and waiting!
A Crowd Pleaser!
This gluten free and dairy free sweet potato and black bean recipe is really amazing. Even those with a big appetite will enjoy this recipe.
Don’t let it fool you, this recipe is hearty and delicious and no one will even miss the meat. The black beans and sweet potatoes really make this hearty and filling.
Your family will love it and you can easily feed a crowd with this meal. It is perfect for family dinner, gatherings and more!
- Onion – You can use any onion you have – white, yellow or a red onion.
- Green Bell Peppers – We finely chop the bell peppers so the kids will eat them.
- Minced Garlic
- Black Beans – Or you can try using a combination of beans. Some light kidney beans would go perfectly with this chili.
- Diced Tomatoes – You can spice this chili up with fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
- Chili Powder – Must have spice for your chili.
- Paprika – You can also use Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper (optional)– Also check out our Best Cayenne Pepper Substitutes.
- Chicken Broth – You can also use vegetable broth instead if you are trying to keep this a vegetarian chili.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet Potatoes pair perfectly with the chili spices
How to make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili?
If you can throw things in the crock pot, you can make this meal. It really is that simple.
- Just put all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 2-3 or low for 4-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
You literally just set it and forget it!
- If you are short on time, you can easily make this recipe in the Instant Pot. Throw all the ingredients in the instant pot and cook it on high pressure for 12 minutes with a quick release on the pressure.
- You can easily add or omit ingredients in this chili recipe for what you have on hand or can get on sale.
- We have even added diced tomatoes to the recipe and it was yummy.
- It is great to double the recipe as this is perfect leftover.
How to store leftovers:
Chili is great for leftovers. Personally, I like it better the next day.
To store you leftovers, place the chili in an air tight container after it has cooled down. It can stay in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
When you are ready to reheat, place on the stovetop over medium heat. You can also reheat in the microwave.
If you would like to freeze your leftover chili, just place in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 2-3 months. We like to place in individual servings as this is perfect for my husband to grab and go for his lunches.
What to serve chili?
The chili is amazing alone but we love a good topping bar around here. We like to load our chili with all sorts of yummy toppings and the kids enjoy it too.
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- diced jalapeno peppers
- saltine crackers
- corn chips
- tortilla chips
Make sure to check out all our favorite chili toppings.
Serve with cornbread:
Did you know that I also make my own homemade cornbread mix to make preparing cornbread even easier? I love having these cornbread mixes on hand so I can whip up some delicious cornbread in no time at all!
It is so yummy to crumble up the cornbread and mix it into the chili. It is a must try!
Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions. If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you make cooking so fast and easy.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need. It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes. This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Lots of the recipes we cook call for onions and peppers so this is such a great time tip that we use frequently. You will love having peppers and onions all ready to go! It is quick and easy.
How to make Vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili?
If you would prefer to have your Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili vegetarian, just use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
We have another vegetarian chili that I am sure you will love. It is another favorite of my family, so you need to try this Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe. Yum!
Vegetarian black bean chili slow cooker is budget friendly!
Seriously no one missed the meat in this recipe and it really was so inexpensive to fix. This is a great way to stretch your grocery budget or even reduce your overall expenses.
Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. This is how I keep our grocery budget reasonable.
It is easy to modify for what you have on hand and this really helps your budget. By cooking like this, it really helps me to save money on groceries. It is a huge help to our budget.
Print this Crock pot sweet potato black bean chili recipe below:
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 green bell peppers diced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans cans black beans (15 oz.) drained and rinsed
- 1 can can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- Add everything in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours on low.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings: sour cream, avocados and cilantro.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe