This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe is one of my go to meals on busy weeknights because it is so easy. The flavor is just amazing and the entire family goes crazy over it. You can’t go wrong with this soup recipe for dinner.
Crockpot Taco Soup Recipe:
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious soup. It is super easy and can be thrown together in minutes as you get ready to walk out the door.
Come home to dinner ready to enjoy with very little work. Anyone can make this recipe. If you can throw things in a crock pot, you can cook this.
If you loved our Chicken Taco Soup Crock Pot recipe, or our 7 Can Taco Soup recipe. You will love this recipe for sure. Add a side of tortilla chips and serve any day of the week. This pantry staples soup is always a family favorite.
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning:
We love making homemade seasoning blends and taco seasoning is one of our favorite. The spices are simple and we can control the amount we add in.
It taste better than the packet from the store and there is no added ingredients we can’t pronounce.
Taco Soup Ingredients:
- Ground Beef
- Homemade Taco Seasoning or a Taco seasoning packet
- Garlic Salt
- Salt and Pepper
- Frozen Corn
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes – Tomato Sauce or Diced Tomatoes would work as well.
- Chicken Broth
- Cheddar Cheese
How to Brown Ground Beef:
For this soup, it is best to brown your ground beef before putting in the crock pot. We like to brown ground beef in a large skillet and add in the chopped onion.
This ensures that the crumbled ground beef and onion are cooked all the way through. Drain meat to remove excess grease and add to a crock pot.
How to Make Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe:
- Step 1 – Brown Ground Beef – Brown the beef on medium heat in a large skillet and drain.
- Step 2 – Place in Slow Cooker – Add the browned ground beef to the slow cooker. Top with the rest of the remaining ingredients.
- Step 3 – Stir Ingredients – Give everything a nice stir. That is seriously all you need to do for this easy recipe!
- Step 4 – Cover and Cook – Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or cook on high for 3-4 hours. Then it is ready to eat.
Toppings for Taco Soup:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion
- Hot Sauce
- Fresh Lime
- Diced Jalapeno Peppers
- Saltine Crackers
- Corn Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Slice Avocado
Just use whatever you like for taco toppings.
Tips for the best Slow Cooker Taco Soup:
- Drain Beans – To reduce sodium, drain and rinse beans.
- Double Recipe – We like to double the recipe, to have leftovers. We think it taste better the next day.
- Make a Taco Bar – Serve for a holiday party or get-together. Make a taco bar with all the toppings.
- Combine Ingredients – After browning ground beef combine ingredients in slow cooker.
Original Taco Soup Variations Ideas:
- Beans – If you don’t like kidney beans or black beans. You can change to pinto beans.
- Taco Seasoning Mix – We like making homemade seasoning, but you can use packet mix from the grocery store. Feel free to add seasoning separately if you prefer. It is made with chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Beef Broth – If you do not have chicken broth, you can use beef broth.
- Ground Turkey – If you prefer, you can use ground turkey or turkey breast to make this recipes.
- Green Chiles – Feel free to use Rotel with green chiles instead of diced tomatoes. This gives the crock pot taco soup so much flavor.
What to Serve with Crockpot Taco Soup:
This taco soup is a complete meal. But if you prefer, you can add in a few sides. Here are some of our favorites:
- Cornbread – We have even just kept it really simple and make homemade cornbread.
- Jalapeno Cornbread – You can also try Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe for a little extra kick.
- Chips and Salsa – Tortilla Chips and Salsa pair well with this soup.
- Rice – Easy Spanish Rice is always a good side.
Can you Freeze Taco Soup?
Yes, this soup freezes great. I usually double the recipe so I can reheat for another meal on those busy nights.
- Place cooked or uncooked taco soup in a freeze safe container or ziplock freezer bag. It will last in the freezer for about 3 months.
- Once you are ready to prepare your taco soup, you can place in the crock pot to cook. There is no need to thaw before placing in the slow cooker.
We think it taste better the second time around.
How long does Taco Soup last?
As mentioned, we love this soup leftover. It will last about a week in the refrigerator. We place in individual serving container so it is an easy meal to grab and reheat.
When you are ready to serve, reheat in the microwave in 30 second in microwave safe bowls. Squeeze fresh lime juice and enjoy this leftover soup.
More Easy Crockpot Soup Recipes:
Print Taco Soup Crockpot Recipe:
Crockpot Original Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (or a half a packet)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can of kidney beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Brown meat. Drain.
- Add the meat and the remainder of the ingredients to the crockpot.
- Give everything a nice stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4).
- Garnish with cheese or sour cream or chips or ALL three!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe