Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
My family just loves this delicious Spanish rice recipe. Once you make this and can freeze it, there is no reason to use those box mixes. Because you can get plain rice so cheap and often free with coupons, this homemade Spanish rice recipe is very friendly on the wallet. The entire family will love it! It’s the perfect compliment to Taco Tuesday or any night of the week! This recipe for Spanish rice freezes really well so it’s perfect for busy nights. We love it served with Easy Baked Enchilada Chicken. Yum!
I’m sure you have most of the ingredients on hand for this homemade Spanish rice!
We don’t use the box mixes anymore because we can make this so much cheaper, and reheating directly from the freezer is so easy to do. You will save so much time and money. Plus, this just tastes so much better than anything you can get from a box. It’s the best Spanish rice recipe.
This recipe for Spanish rice freezes great!
To freeze, allow your rice to cool completely. Then place in freezer baggies in the amounts that your family needs for dinner. When you are ready to eat, take directly from the freezer. Place about 1/4 cup of water in the container and microwave for about 5 minutes. Add some salt and enjoy! It is that easy!
You can also freeze this Spanish rice in cupcake pans. Then freeze. Once frozen, pop them out and place in a freezer bag. You now have individual servings ready to reheat. No need to buy those overpriced rice bowls at the store! Here is the silicone cupcake pans that I use. They are really easy to pop out once frozen.
Tip to freeze this Easy Spanish Rice Recipe:
I use these Hands Free Storage Bag Holders. You can certainly do this without these but it makes it so much easier. The ones I use come in a set of 2 and it’s so easy to just fill the bags and pop in the freezer. It makes it quick and easy and less mess. I do a lot of freezer cooking so it’s been a big help having these on hand. It’s liking have an extra set of hands!
Look no further for Spanish Rice recipes! Here is the best one:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ onion chopped finely (optional)
- 1½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth -I normally do 1 or 2 cups broth)
- 1 cups chunky salsa
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Saute onion in oil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth, salsa, garlic salt and cumin.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- I double this recipe to make a lot of rice. You do the work once and have enough to last my family 2-3 meals.
- I let rice cool and then freeze in freezer bags, that way I only have to mess up the kitchen once for a few extra meals.
- Now that you have it cooked and in freezer, you are ready to an easy night of cooking.
- Take rice from freezer baggy and place in microwavable dish. Add a small amount of water and cover.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until warm.
Give this Easy Spanish Rice Recipe a try today!
Serve this with your favorite Mexican dinner and you have an easy meal in no time.
Make extra and freeze this homemade Spanish Rice!
You will love being able to pull it out of the freezer on busy nights for dinner.
Try these other quick meal ideas:
- The Best Crockpot Chicken Tacos – only 3 ingredients
- How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- The Best Baked Mexican Chicken – Coated with crushed tortilla chips!
- The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip – Queso Blanco
- The BEST Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas