My family just loves this easy Spanish rice recipe. Once you make this and can freeze it, there is no reason to use those box mixes for Mexican Rice.
Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
This recipe is so easy and delicious! You can get plain rice very cheap so homemade Spanish rice recipe is very friendly on the wallet.
The entire family will love this easy Mexican rice recipe.
Better than Store Bought!
We don’t use the box mixes anymore because we can make this so much cheaper, and reheating directly from the freezer is so easy to do.
You will save so much time and money. Plus, this just tastes so much better than anything you can get from a box.
It’s the best Spanish rice recipe.
What spices do you use to make Spanish rice?
Our time saving secret is to use chunky salsa and add garlic salt and cumin. It makes the best rice!
Let’s make this easy Mexican rice recipe!
It is so easy and delicious!
Ingredients for Mexican rice recipe:
- Olive Oil
- Uncooked White Rice
- Chicken Broth
- Chunky Salsa
- Garlic Salt
- Cumin – Check out Best Substitute for Cumin
Tip from Carrie:
If you have ever wondered Can you freeze onions, the answer is yes!
I chop onions in bulk and freeze them. It’s so nice to just grab what you need from the freezer for recipes.
How do you make Mexican rice?
It’s very simple and inexpensive. Get ready to learn how to make the easiest and tastiest side dish!
How to make Spanish rice:
- Sauté onion in oil over medium heat to high heat. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice into skillet, stirring often. Do not skip this step as it adds a ton of flavor to the rice. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth, salsa, garlic salt and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
Spanish Rice Toppings:
Here are a few things that I love topping this Spanish rice with:
- More Salsa
- Green Onions
- Fresh Cilantro
- Diced Avocado
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Pico de Gallo
What to serve with this rice?
This is the perfect side dish for your favorite Mexican meals. Here are a few of our favorites that we love serving with this rice.
What type of rice to use in this recipe?
Any type of long grain rice works great in this recipe. I generally use long grain white rice but any type will work.
Can you use brown rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice in this recipe. You will need to increase the chicken broth amount by ½ cup as brown rice soaks up more liquid when it’s cooking.
Can you use cauliflower rice?
Yes, you can make a low carb option by using cauliflower rice instead of white rice. If using cauliflower rice, you would not need to add the broth and start by adding just ½ of the amount of the salsa. Then stir in more if needed when serving.
How to Store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container. As long as the rice is stored correctly, it should last up to 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top for a few minutes and then the rice is ready to enjoy.
Can you freeze this Spanish Rice?
Yes, you can easily freeze this homemade Spanish recipe.
To freeze, allow your rice to cool completely. Then place the cooked rice in freezer bags in the amounts that your family needs for dinner.
When you are ready to eat, take the rice directly from the freezer. Place about ¼ cup of water in the container, cover and microwave for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and then rice is ready to enjoy.,
You can also freeze this Spanish rice in cupcake pans. Just place in each individual cup and freeze. I usually use a silicone pan so the frozen rice is easy to remove.
Once frozen, pop them out and place in a freezer bag. You now have individual servings ready to reheat.
How much rice to make per person?
Generally, I plan approximately 1/4-⅓ cup uncooked rice per person. This amount will generally cook to be approximately 3/4-1 cup of cooked rice.
This recipe serves 6 people.
- For a change, try adding diced tomatoes, black bean and a little chili powder to this rice recipe.
- You can use tomato sauce instead of salsa. We have even added a ½ cup of tomato sauce and it was delicious. Spanish rice with tomato sauce is amazing!
- Diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes work great instead of the salsa as well. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, garlic and cumin after the rice has browned.
- Make a meal out of it and try Spanish rice with ground beef. It’s a great way to stretch your meat.
- You can use minced garlic instead of garlic salt. Sauté the onion, garlic and rice in the olive oil then mix in the other ingredients.
Print this Easy Spanish rice recipe below:
Easiest Spanish Rice Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion chopped finely optional
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water or chicken broth -I normally do 1 or 2 cups broth
- 1 cups chunky salsa
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Saute onion in oil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix rice into skillet, stirring often. When rice begins to brown, stir in chicken broth, salsa, garlic salt and cumin.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- I double this recipe to make a lot of rice. You do the work once and have enough to last my family 2-3 meals.
- I let rice cool and then freeze in freezer bags, that way I only have to mess up the kitchen once for a few extra meals.
Cook from Freezer:
- Now that you have it cooked and in freezer, you are ready to an easy night of cooking.
- Take rice from freezer baggy and place in microwavable dish. Add a small amount of water and cover.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until warm.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe