This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Mexican Fried Rice is an easy side dish and made with simple ingredients. If you are looking for a Mexican style rice, this is the one to make.
Easy Mexican Fried Rice Recipe:
Mexican fried rice recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients. This is the perfect dish to use leftover rice. Simple seasoning combined with corn, black beans and more to create a delicious side dish.
Take your cold rice to the next level with this simple Mexican Fried Rice Recipe. There are many ways to make this rice recipe to make it your own. It is the perfect side dish for all your Mexican recipes.
Top with avocado and fresh cilantro for delicious flavor and a crowd pleasing side dish. It is quick and easy to make which makes the perfect side for a weeknight meal.
What is the Secret to Good Fried Rice?
The secret to good fried rice is using cooked, day old rice. This allows the ingredients to mix well together. Place in the fridge to help it dry out after the freshly cooked rice is made.
Which keeps it from getting clumpy when combining the ingredients. Cold rice makes the best stir fry recipe.
For the Rice:
- Minced Garlic
- Onion (finely diced)
- Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- Cooked Rice
For the Sauce:
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
How to Make Mexican Fried Rice:
- Step 1 – Mix Sauce Ingredients – Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Step 2 – Heat Oil – Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until the garlic is aromatic.
- Step 3 – Cook Vegetables – Stir in the diced onions and red bell pepper. Then cook until the onions are translucent (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Step 4 – Mix in Corn & Black Beans – Add in the corn and black beans. Cook for 1 minute until they are heated through.
- Step 5 – Mix in Sauce & Rice – Then stir in the cooked rice and the sauce mixture. Stir thoroughly to coat all the ingredients with the sauce. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until all the ingredients are heated through.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while warm and enjoy.
- Leftover Rice – When making any fried rice recipe, it is best to use leftover cold rice. We also recommend that it is dry. If you do not have an white rice made, you can easily make some in the instant pot or slow cooker.
- Chopping Vegetables – We recommend to chop your vegetables ahead of time and about the same size. This allows them to cook evenly and about the same time.
- Cook Vegetables – Heat and cook the vegetables until they are tender. Add garlic and cook over medium heat in a pan.
- Mixing Ingredients – Make sure when adding the rice and sauce that everything is heated thoroughly.
- Best Rice – When we make this fried rice recipe, usually use white rice. But you can also use brown rice.
- Oil – You can use any type of oil to cook the vegetables in. We have used olive oil or avocado oil.
- Add in Meat – Make this recipe a complete meal idea by adding meat. You can add in pork, chicken, or beef.
- Eggs – Traditional fried rice is made with a fried egg. You can easily scramble the eggs until they fluff.
- Sauce – To bring the flavors to the rice, we like to pour an enchilada sauce mixture. For added flavor, you can easily add in chicken broth. You can also use tomato sauce.
- Vegetables – Feel free to add in other vegetables to this fried rice recipe. You can add in peas, carrots, and more. Salsa and green chiles is also a great addition for added flavor.
- Beans – You can easily substitute the black beans with pinto beans or red kidney beans. They can also be omitted.
- Seasoning – The seasoning can be changed to what you prefer. We have even used homemade taco seasoning as a substitute. We love making homemade seasoning because it taste better.
Mexican Fried Rice Topping Ideas:
This fried rice can easily be topped for added flavor and texture. These are some of our favorites.
- Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Pico De Gallo
- Diced Avocado
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
How to Serve Mexican Rice Recipes:
Mexican Fried Rice is a filling meal on its own. But we like to serve with our favorite Mexican Recipes. It stretches our meal especially for my large family.
These are some of our favorites.
- Tacos – You can make shredded chicken tacos or beef tacos for an easy meal idea.
- Burritos – Crock pot smothered burritos will be a family favorite. Tender beef smothered with cheese and more make this meal so flavorful. The slow cooker makes it super easy. It’s a win all around.
- Mexican Casserole – Easy Mexican Casserole Recipe has the most delicious layers of cheese, ground beef, tortillas and more. This casserole is perfect for dinner any night of the week and loaded with tons of flavor.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Heat the rice in the microwave for 45 seconds and continue cooking until heated through.
If you meal prep, go ahead and put the leftover rice in individual containers. Having everything portioned will make it easy to grab these for easy lunches and dinners.
Can you Freeze Mexican Fried Rice?
Yes, you can freeze Mexican. Place in an freezer safe container and place in the freezer. Mexican Fried Rice will freeze for up to 4 months.
We like to place in individual containers so we can take out small portions.
When ready to serve, place in the fridge and thaw overnight. Reheat in a skillet or microwave.
Print Recipe for Mexican Fried Rice:
Mexican Fried Rice
For the Rice:
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until the garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the diced onions and red bell pepper and cook until the onions are translucent (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the corn and black beans. Cook for 1 minute until they are heated through.
- Then stir in the cooked rice and the sauce mixture. Stir thoroughly to coat all the ingredients with the sauce. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until all the ingredients are heated through.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe