This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
No need to get take out when you can make this delicious and Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe at home. In just 15 minutes, your family can enjoy authentic chicken fried rice any day of the week.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe:
Fried rice is one of our favorite dishes around here. It is so quick and easy and has everything you need for a great meal. Clean up is so easy and the meal is fast and simple.
This recipe for Chicken Fried Rice is taste better than take out fried rice. It is easily made in a skillet for an easy one pot meal. This Chicken Fried Rice has so much flavor and loaded with chicken.
Chicken Fried Rice is an easy meal to make using leftover rice and chicken. It is my go-to meal as you can serve it by itself or it compliments many Asian inspired dishes. My family loves this chicken fried rice recipe.
What’s in Chicken Fried Rice?
Chicken Fried Rice is a very simple, easy to meal to make. My kids can even mix this together with our leftovers. These ingredients are simple and you can easily use what you have on hand.
For a Classic Chicken Fried Rice this is what we use:
- Boneless Chicken Breast, cooked chicken or uncooked chicken
- Cooking Oil – You can use sesame oil or vegetable oil
- Frozen Peas and Carrots blend – this is available in a frozen package at the store
- Cooked Rice
- Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Green Onions
Chicken Stir Fry with Rice is Budget Friendly:
Rice is such an inexpensive ingredient and really goes a long way. This meal is very cheap to make and the rice and veggies help to stretch the chicken. Feel Free to use what you have.
The recipe only calls for 2 chicken breasts so the meal is very frugal. You can easily feed a crowd or large family on a budget with this recipe.
There is so much flavor in this meal and each bite is just amazing. Once you see how easy it is to make this at home, you will make it all the time. We love making this great recipe.
What are the Chicken Fried Rice Ingredients?
- Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Sesame Oil and Vegetable Oil
- Frozen Peas and Diced Carrots Blend
- Cooked White Rice (I like to use leftover rice)
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Green Onions
How to Make Chicken Fried Rice:
- Step 1 – In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the chicken in the sesame and vegetable oil. This only takes a few minutes so it is super fast and easy.
- Step 2 – Put the chicken aside on a separate plate once this is cooked.
- Step 3 – Add the carrots and peas to the pan and saute. Push them to one side of the pan so you will have room to scramble the eggs.
- Step 4 – Now it is time to add all that delicious chicken back to the skillet. Add the rice and seasonings and stir to combine.
- Step 5 – This is a really simple dinner idea and only one pan to clean.
Can I add in different Veggies?
Yes, you can use different vegetables. If you have vegetables that need to be used even if you have a small amount, you can easily toss them in this fried rice recipe.
We have added in chopped broccoli, asparagus and zucchini. Keep in mind that different vegetables might take longer to cook, so adjust your time accordingly.
What is the Secret to Great Fried Rice?
The secret to making great fried rice is using leftover cold rice. We eat rice a lot so I always seem to have some leftover. But if I know I am going to make this recipe and do not have an rice, I make a batch of rice the night before and place in the refrigerator.
Is Fried Rice unhealthy?
No, fried rice is not unhealthy. It is great recipe to add more veggies if you wanted to and more protein. You can also use brown rice and change the soy sauce to coconut aminos for reduce the soy.
If you are worried about the carbs, try using cauliflower rice instead. This is a great substitute for rice.
Tips for the Best Chicken Fried Rice:
- Top with Green Onions – I love topping the chicken fried rice with sliced green onions before serving.
- Use Different Oil – You can easily use avocado oil, canola oil or coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil in this recipe.
- Pre Cooked Rice is Best – This fried rice recipe is best to made with cold rice. I usually use leftover rice and it’s makes the best fried rice.
- Change the Protein – You can change the protein to salmon, shrimp, pork are all great option.
- Gluten Free – If you want to make this gluten free, use a gluten free soy sauce.
- Make Low carb – for a lower carb options, use cauliflower rice.
What to Serve with Chicken Fried Rice?
There are many sides that you can fix with Chicken Fried Rice. Since this recipe is a complete meal, you can keep it simple or add more protein or vegetables.
- Egg Drop Soup
- Egg Rolls
- Simple Green Salad
- Steamed Vegetables
How to Store Fried Rice:
Storing Fried Rice is easy to do and it taste even better leftover. Store in a air tight container for up to 5 days.
Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals for lunch the next day.
- Change the Rice – You can use brown rice, cauliflower rice or jasmine rice instead.
- Use Different Vegetables – You can add in mushrooms, snow peas, broccoli, bell peppers and water chestnuts.
- Add in Nuts – Add in chopped peanuts or cashews for some crunch. We also like adding in toasted sesame seeds.
- Remove the chicken – You can also eat this fried rice without any chicken. It will taste amazing.
- Soy Sauce Substitution – You can substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos.
How to Freeze Chicken Fried Rice:
Chicken Fried Rice also freezes great. Place in an freezer safe container and place in the freezer. Chicken Fried Rice will freeze for up to 4 months.
Print this Chicken Fried Rice Recipe below:
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- In a large skillet, sauté the diced chicken in the sesame oil and vegetable oil on medium high heat until the chicken is cooked through for approximately 4-6 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer the chicken to a separate plate and set aside.
- Next add the frozen peas and carrots blend to the pan and sauté for approximately 2 minutes on medium high heat .
- Slide the vegetables to one side of the pan and pour in the eggs into the pan on the open side.
- Scramble the eggs.
- Then add the chicken back to the pan. Next add in the rice, soy sauce, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Sauté for 3-5 minutes until rice is heated through and chicken is warmed back through.
- Top with sliced green onions and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other Delicious Chinese Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
- Pork Fried Rice Recipe
- Hoisin Chicken
- Crock Pot Sticky Chicken Recipe
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Egg Roll in a Bowl