This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Hoisin Chicken is a delicious combination of diced chicken and hoisin glaze all cooked in a skillet. This stir fry recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients.
Chicken with Hoisin Recipe:
Hoisin chicken is a delicious stir fry recipe that is easy to make with simple ingredients. This mouth watering glaze is combined with very little prep work and mixed with diced chicken for a crowd pleasing meal idea.
Stir Fry recipes with an Asian flavor is always a family favorite. We love to top with hoisin chicken topped with sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Add a side of white rice for an easy weeknight meal.
Hoisin sauce is great for marinating chicken, for dipping or to mix with stir fry chicken recipe. The sauce is simple to make that you can easily get the ingredients at the grocery store.
What is Hoisin Sauce made of?
This full of flavor Hoisin Sauce is a delicious glaze that is perfect for stir fries. Add the sauce with simple seasoning with the chicken to make a thick glaze over the chicken.
This chicken cooks perfectly in the dark colored, soy sauce based sauce which gives it a Asian flavor. The sweet and salty flavor sauce that also works well as a dipping sauce.
- Olive Oil
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Minced Garlic
- Hoisin Sauce
- Sesame Seeds (for topping)
- Green Onions (for topping)
How to Make Hoisin Chicken:
- Step 1 – Heat Oil – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and season it with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 – Cook Chicken – Cook for 4-6 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
- Step 3 – Add in Garlic – Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Step 4 – Stir in Hoisin – Stir in the hoisin sauce and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is combined and heat through.
- Step 5 – Serve – Serve warm topped with the sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
Tips for Hoisin Chicken Recipe:
- Heating Oil – Prepare the skillet by heating the oil over medium high heat. This helps to cook the chicken evenly and browned.
- Cutting Chicken – We recommend the chicken in the same size pieces so the chicken cooks about the same time.
- Marinating Chicken – If you prefer you can marinate the chicken in the Hoisin sauce for about 30 minutes before cooking. Place the sauce in a small bowl and add the chicken.
- Cooking Chicken – While all the ingredients are cooking, we recommend stirring occasionally so you do not run the risk of burning the ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Hoisin Chicken – This recipe can be made in your slow cooker easily. We recommend thawing chicken and dicing into small pieces. Then place in the slow cooker and pour sauce ingredients over the top.
Best Chicken for Stir Fry:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – Chicken Thighs are a dark meat that is juicy and hard to overcook.
- Chicken Breast – We use chicken breast most of the time for our chicken recipes. It is lean and taste amazing in this stir fry.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Serving – This is stir fry is great served over rice but you can also serve as it is. If
- Extra Spice – Feel free to add in extra spice to the Hoisin Sauce. Add a teaspoon or two of red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce.
- Vegetables – To make this a complete meal add in vegetables to cook in the sauce. You can easily add in snap peas, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms. We recommend cutting them about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Sauces – For added flavor to the sauce add in about a teaspoon of sesame oil. This gives the sauce a warm, deep flavor.
- Chicken – To make this recipe even easier, you can simply take the Hoisin Sauce and mix it leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. You can heat up some frozen chicken and heat it up. Makes a simple meal idea.
- Ginger – Add flavor to the sauce by adding in some fresh ginger.
What to Serve with Hoisin Chicken:
This hoisin chicken can be served by it self or with these easy sides.
- Fried Rice – You serve chicken stir fry with white rice, jasmine rice, or even brown rice. You can prepare your rice in a rice cooker and on the stove top.
- Low Carb Option – Make some cauliflower for an amazing side dish. Quinoa is also a great low carb option that goes well this this chicken stir fry.
- Noodles – Mix the stir with some ramen noodles, rice noodles or even linguine.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
We think this stir fry taste even better the next day. The stir fry sauce really marinades in the chicken to give it amazing flavor.
What do you use Hoisin Sauce for?
Hoisin sauce can be used for many different recipes. Since my family loves Asian inspired dishes, we like to keep is stocked in the refrigerator. These are some of my favorite ways to serve it.
- Dipping Sauce
- Add to Vegetable Stir Fry
How to Reheat:
When you are ready to reheat, place in a microwave safe dish and place in the microwave. Heat at 1 minute intervals until the hoisin chicken is heated thoroughly.
You can also reheat on the stove top over medium heat in a sauce pan.
What does Hoisin Sauce taste like?
Hoisin is often compared to as American Style BBQ Sauce. It is dark in color with a thick texture. It has a salty with a hint of sweetness similar to BBQ Sauce but with a Asian taste.
Hoisin Sauce is very mild in taste but you can add different spices to spice it up.
Why we Love this Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients – The ingredients to make Hoisin Chicken are simple. You can easily get them at your local grocery store which saves time and money.
- Easy to Prepare – This recipe takes just 20 minutes to prepare. Serve this recipe on a busy weeknight so your family gets a complete satisfying meal.
- Crowd Favorite – My entire family loves this recipe. The Hoisin sauce adds so much flavor to chicken and we even make extra sauce to pour over the top.
Print Recipe here for Hoisin Chicken:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and season it with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-6 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the hoisin sauce and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is combined and heat through.
- Serve warm topped with the sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Skillet Chicken Recipes:
- Easy Skillet Orange Chicken Recipe
- Crispy Honey Chicken Recipe
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Fajitas