Orange chicken recipe is a skillet meal perfect for busy weeknights. Anytime our family wants take out, I make this instead. The orange sauce is divine and the recipe is super easy.
Orange chicken recipe
What if I told you dinner could be ready in just 20 minutes? This Orange Chicken Recipe is just that quick and easy! We love this meal for a quick dinner.
It tastes like our favorite take out meal but for less money. Honestly, I can cook this faster than going to get take out too. It is a win-win all around!
Our family loves takeout but it sure does add up. Plus, it really isn’t always that fast or good. We have been trying out new recipes at home and this is a new favorite!
Make sure you have a good skillet to make this easy orange chicken.
Cast iron is amazing! You can make so many different recipes and they are great for skillet recipes.
If you are not already cooking with one, you should! They are amazing and the food cooks so evenly.
Don’t be hesitant to use cast iron because it really is simple to use and maintain. It cooks the food so evenly and recipes turn out great.
What ingredients do you need to make orange chicken?
- chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- black pepper
- vegetable oil
- orange marmalade
- low sodium soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil
- minced garlic
- sesame seeds
- green onions diced
How to make orange chicken:
First, place the chicken pieces in a bowl. Add the cornstarch and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in cornstarch mixture.
Next, heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 4 minutes on each side until each side until chicken is cooked through. You may need to work in batches.
Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the orange marmalade, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and minced garlic.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir to coat returning to the pan.
Cook on low, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens about 10-15 minutes.
It is that simple to make orange chicken recipe with orange marmalade!
Keep reading for the full recipe. It is super easy and it tastes much better then chinese food take out.
Plus, it is definitely easier on the budget!
What to serve with orange chicken recipe healthy?
Serve over cooked white rice and top with the rest of the sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Did you know that you can cook rice in the slow cooker? I like to cook a ton of rice in my crock pot and then freeze it for recipes like this one.
This way I always have some cooked rice on hand for recipes that require it or for a quick side dish in not time at all.
Freezing rice is so easy and saves me tons of time in the kitchen. If you aren’t freezing rice, you should be! It is a huge time saver.
We prefer white rice with this recipe but you can use brown rice. Just use what your family enjoys. Fried rice would also be tasty.
You can also steam broccoli in the microwave for a quick and easy side dish. It is so simple goes great with this recipe.
The sweet orange sauce is so delicious with the broccoli. It is one of our favorites veggies to eat with this recipe.
You might also like Crockpot orange chicken thighs.
Try substituting chicken thighs in this meal for the chicken breasts. It is also very tasty and one of our favorite Chinese recips.
I like to use what I can purchase on sale at the grocery store or already have in the freezer. Just use what you have. The great thing about this recipe is how versatile it is.
It is easy to modify for what you have on hand and this really helps your budget. By cooking like this, it really helps me to save money on groceries. It is a huge help to our budget.
I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning! Save that money for something else!
Shrimp would also be great in this recipe. I think it would be amazing with the orange sauce. Yum!
Sometimes we add red pepper flakes for a little heat with the orange zest. So good! You simply can’t go wrong with this amazing recipe.
Print this orange chicken recipe below:
Easy Skillet Orange Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts boneless skinless cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 green onions diced
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl. Add the cornstarch and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in cornstarch mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 4 minutes on each side until each side until chicken is cooked through. You may need to work in batches.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the orange marmalade, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and minced garlic.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir to coat returning to the pan.
- Cook on low, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens about 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds and the green onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Enjoy one of your favorite Chinese takeout dishes when you make Kung Pao Chicken Recipe at home.
Skip takeout and make this delicious Black pepper chicken recipe at home.
You might also like Beef and noodles recipe for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner.
MORE ASIAN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
- Asian Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Easy Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Pepper steak Recipe
- Crock Pot Sesame Beef Recipe
Try these other easy skillet recipes:
- Tex Mex Skillet Chicken Recipe
- Easy Salsa Chicken Skillet Recipe
- Skillet Chicken and Rice Burritos
- Skillet Chicken Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- Quick Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Balsamic Chicken – Easy Skillet Chicken Recipe
- Brown Sugar Skillet Chicken
- Skillet Roasted Red Pepper Italian Sausage Pasta Recipe