This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crockpot Spanish Rice is a delicious side dish to serve with our favorite Mexican Dishes. Easy spices makes this restaurant style Spanish Rice loaded with flavor.
Slow cooker Spanish Rice is an easy, fool-proof way to make Spanish rice. If you loved our Stove Top Spanish Rice Recipe, then you are going to love this crockpot version.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works:
Cooking Spanish rice in a slow cooker saves me time and money. Rice is budget friendly side and made with many substitutions and spices.
When making Homemade Mexican Food can take time, but using the crockpot you can easily prep in the morning and it is ready for dinner.
With these simple seasonings, you can make a restaurant style Spanish Rice that is a family favorite.
- Long Grain White Rice
- Onion (finely diced)
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken Broth, low-sodium
- Tomato Sauce (8 ounces)
- Chunky Salsa
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Add Meat – Make a complete meal but adding in cooked meat with the Spanish Rice. Add in ground beef, Shredded pork or chicken for added flavor.
- Vegetables – You can easily sneak in veggies to give this homemade rice more flavor. Bell peppers, corn, or diced tomatoes are always a great addition.
- Seasoning – We made this Spanish Rice with simple seasonings. But feel free to add in Paprika or Taco Seasonings.
- Beans – Add in black beans, pinto beans or white beans for a delicious addition.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the rice and diced onions. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the onion is soft and the rice is browned.
Step 2 – Spray a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Remove the rice from the heat and transfer it to the slow cooker.
Step 3 – Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, salsa, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Step 4 – Stir and mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until the liquid has been absorbed. Stir the freshly chopped cilantro into the rice. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Prepare Rice – This crock pot rice cooks better when saute the rice and onions together in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Prepare Slow Cooker – We recommend spraying the slow cooker with cooking spray before cooking the Spanish Rice.
- Cooking Time – Cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker. You will know the rice is cooked when there is no liquid visible.
- Mushy Rice – If you end up with mushy rice, take the lid off the slow cooker and allow the moisture to evaporate.
We even like to squeeze fresh lime right before serving.
Can I Prepare in Advance?
Yes, this is the perfect recipe to prepare ahead of time. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 3-4 days in an airtight container. crunchy.
Yes, you can freeze prepared Spanish Rice in a freezer safe container. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months. For more tips, learn How to Freeze Rice.
Just add a little water when you reheat it so that the rice doesn’t become dry or
More Easy Crock Pot Side Dish Recipes:
- The Best Crock Pot White Cheese Dip Recipe
- Crock Pot Rotel Dip Recipe
- Crock Pot Nacho Cheese Sauce Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this Crock Pot Spanish Rice Recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Crock Pot Spanish Rice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Then, add the rice and diced onions. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the onion is soft and the rice is browned.
- Spray a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the rice from the heat and transfer it to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, salsa, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir the freshly chopped cilantro into the rice.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe