Everyone in my family loves it when I make this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe. It’s taste better than the ones from a restaurant and we can easily adapt this recipe to fit out families’ preferences.
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe:
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl is a family favorite. It is perfect for a weeknight meal and the best meal to feed a crowd. The shredded chicken is seasoned with easy ingredients and cooked with black beans, tomatoes and corn.
Crock Pot Chicken Burrito bowls allows me to throw all the ingredients in my slow cooker in the morning. Then have an amazing meal for my family by that evening or even sooner.
Chicken Burrito Bowls combines all your favorite tex-mex flavors that are inside a chicken burrito. The flavors, texture and toppings make this a crowd pleaser meal any day of the week.
What is a Burrito Bowl?
A Burrito Bowl is basically everything that you would wrap in a flour tortilla but in a bowl form. You can easily eat these ingredients that make up the chicken burrito in an actual bowl or make your own.
- Healthier – If you are looking for a way to cut calories, then make a burrito bowl.
- Easier to Eat – Pile the ingredients in a bowl and dig in with a fork. There is no need to worry about the tortilla ripping.
- Many Ways to Serve – There are many ways that you can use the chicken burrito ingredients. Plus it is great when feeding a crowd.
- Chicken Breasts
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Taco Seasoning (I like to use my homemade recipe)
- Black Beans
- Frozen Corn
- Brown Rice
- Shredded Cheese
How to make Crock Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Gather your Ingredients – Place all ingredients in the crock pot.
- Season the Ingredients – Top the Ingredients with Taco Seasoning and Salt.
- Combine ingredients with seasoning – Once seasoning is added combine with the other ingredients.
- Cook on Low – Cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can also cook on high for 4-6 hours if you need it ready quicker.
- Shred the Chicken – Once this cook time is done, remove the chicken and use forks to shred the chicken. Then put it back in the crock pot. Then add in the rice and squeeze the limes over the chicken mixture.
- Add to your favorite bowl or tortilla – Add the chicken burrito ingredients to a bowl, tortilla or just over rice.
- Serve and Enjoy – Add your favorite toppings and serve.
Chicken Burrito Bowls Topping Ideas:
Here are some other ingredients that can easily be added to this recipe. You can change the flavor or texture of these burrito bowls to fit your taste preference.
- Different Types of Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocados
- Salsa – Your favorite kind – I love this homemade salsa verde recipe.
- Hot Sauce
- Green Onions
- Shredded Lettuce
- Change the Chicken – We used chicken breast in this recipe but you can use chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
- Use Different Meats – You can use ground beef or ground turkey. Shredded pork would also be a great meat to use.
- Change the beans – If you don’t like black beans, you can use pinto beans or chili beans. You can also omit them if you are not a fan of beans.
- Salsa Options – We used diced tomatoes but I also have just dumped in some leftover salsa in the jar. You can also use Rotel if you want to spice it up or add some chili powder.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Homemade Burrito Bowls – There are so many options to serve this recipe. You can serve this in a delicious homemade burrito bowl or taco shell.
- Flour Tortilla – Also, you can use the chicken mixture from this recipe to fill a large tortilla. Make a slow cooker chicken burrito or chimichanga.
- Make a Quesadilla – This slow cooker chicken burrito filling would also be great to create some quesadillas on a busy weeknight.
- Low Carb Option – You can serve the chicken mixture over cauliflower rice or in a low carb tortilla.
How to Freeze Crock Pot Burrito Bowls:
This is a great meal to freeze. Since this recipe makes a lot, I always like to freeze the leftovers. If we are not planning on eating them during the week.
You can place the leftovers in a freezer safe container and freeze. It will stay good for about 3 to 4 months. Once we are ready to serve again, you can defrost in the refrigerator overnight or place in the crock pot.
How to Store Leftovers:
You are going to love having this leftover. It is great for a second meal for the family or for lunch the next day. I like to place in individual containers for my husbands lunch the next day.
To reheat this recipe, place in microwave safe dish and heat in one minute intervals until heated thoroughly.
This recipe will stay good for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. This is the perfect meal to meal prep with.
Why we Love this Recipe:
- Perfect for a Crowd – If you are feeding a large crowd make a taco bar. This makes a lot and it is perfect to keep the toppings separate and serve it with different rices.
- Seasoned Chicken – This chicken is seasoned with the homemade taco seasoning or you can make your own.
- Vegetables – The vegetables can be changed to what you have on hand. This would also be good with bell peppers.
- Weeknight Meal – If I need a meal that is both filling and everyone likes it, this is my go-to meal. Easy to make with a simple process this chicken burrito is always the one I choose.
- Easy to Make Rice – You can prepare your rice in the crock pot or instant pot. This allows you to have it ready in about 30 minutes. Cook rice until tender as cooking time will vary. You can even use instant rice.
Print this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe below:
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 fresh limes
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken, diced tomatoes and their juices, chicken broth, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and salt in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 8 hours.
- Head up the brown rice and stir in the crock pot.
- Squeeze the fresh limes over on top.
- Spoon into bowls.
- Top with cheese, avocado, pico, cilantro, and any other toppings you would like.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe