This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you love tacos, try making Homemade Taco Shells. They are so simple to make and taste great with your taco ingredients.
My family loves tacos of any kind. I love to make tacos because it is easy and I can sneak all kinds of vegetables in those tacos and the kids never know it.
Table of Contents
Why Make This Recipe
It is fun to put out a topping bar and let everyone grab what they want. This always works great for parties and everyone always seems to really enjoy it.
Plus, it is frugal and a simple way to feed a large amount of people. Everyone seems to love tacos and this can quickly and easily feed a crowd.
- Store-Bought Corn Tortillas
- Oil for frying (vegetable oil, canola, or any high smoke point oil)
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 – Prepare Tortillas: Warm refrigerated tortillas to room temperature or slightly in the microwave or on a skillet. Non-refrigerated tortillas are ready to use as is.
- Step 2 – Skillet Frying: Heat about ½ inch of oil in a skillet to medium-high heat (approximately 350°F).
- Step 3 – Fry Tortilla – Fry each tortilla for 10 seconds, then flip over medium heat.
- Step 4 – Fold in Half – Fold in half to form a taco shell shape and fry each side until crispy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Deep Frying: Fill a deep fryer or pot with 2-3 inches of oil and heat to 350°F. Submerge a tortilla, fold using tongs or a taco shell mold, and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Drain: Remove the taco shell from the oil and place on paper towel.
- Cool: Let shells cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Tortilla: Make sure before placing tortilla in a hot skillet, make sure it is at room temperature.
Taco Topping Ideas
The crunchy taco shells taste great with all of your favorite taco toppings. Make it a taco night and fill these taco shells with Ground Beef Taco Meat or Shredded Chicken Taco and your favorite toppings.
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Store your leftover airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to week.
After preparing the homemade taco shells, they should not be frozen. The texture of the taco shells will not stay crispy. You can freeze the corn tortillas prior to frying the hard taco shells.
Flour tortilla is a great option, the texture will be a little different but they will still have great flavor.
Yes, you can make ahead of time but make sure to store at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to one week.
- The Best Crockpot Chicken Tacos – only 3 ingredients
- How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- The Best Baked Mexican Chicken – Coated with crushed tortilla chips!
- The BEST Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Crockpot Taco Rice Soup
- Quick and Easy Walking Tacos Recipe
- Crock pot Beef Tacos
- Oven Baked Tacos
- Try one of these Over 100 of the BEST Mexican Recipes
If you make this Homemade Taco Recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
How to make Homemade Taco Shells
- 6 corn tortillas
- Metal cupcake pan
- Non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place 3 corn tortillas in a microwave and heat up for about 20 seconds so they are pliable and will bend without breaking.
- Flip over the cupcake pan.
- Spray both sides of the corn tortillas and push into the pan to form a “star” bowl, like you can see in the picture above.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly on oven rack and then fill with your favorite taco ingredients!
- You can use paper towels if needed while cooling.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe