Need a budget friendly soup to keep you warm this winter? Try our favorite Crockpot Taco Rice Soup made from leftovers.
The slow cooker does all of the work. Dinner is ready without practically any effort thanks to this toss and go recipe.
Crockpot Taco Rice Soup
Last week we made tacos and instead of just making enough for one meal, I browned enough meat for two meals. Also, I doubled the rice so I would have leftovers of that as well.
Then I put both the extra meat and the rice in the fridge. Since I was cooking anyway, it was not any extra work to make a double batch.
Learn how to freeze rice and it will save you so much time. We are all for quick and easy to help us during the week.
That way, I would have it all ready to make this crock-pot soup a few days later. Instead of having to brown and cook rice, I had it all ready in the the fridge.
You need to start cooking once and eating twice. No one even knew that we were technically having left overs.
The kids devoured the soup and I had an incredibly easy dinner idea.
That is a win for sure. Crock pot taco soup is super easy and so delicious.
- Ground beef or ground turkey.
- Homemade taco seasoning. If you prefer to use store bought, you can use ½ packet of taco seasoning mix.
- Garlic salt. If you are trying to reduce the sodium, use garlic powder instead.
- Salt and pepper
- Onion. You can use anything you have such as white onion, red onion, Vidalia or anything you like.
- Frozen corn. You can use canned corn if that is what you already have.
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Crushed tomatoes. Diced tomatoes can also be substituted.
- Beef broth. Feel free to substitute vegetable broth or even chicken broth would work.
- Cooked rice. You can use white or brown rice. We like to use leftover rice, and I think leftover Mexican rice would also be delicious.
- Shredded cheese and tortilla chips for toppings. This is optional but delicious.
How to make taco soup with rice
First, toss everything in the slow cooker but the rice. It is just that simple.
Then just let everything cook. You can use the low setting for 5 hours or high setting for 2 hours. Cook times will vary based on slow cookers.
When you are ready to serve, add the rice and stir it all together. You will need to give the soup about 15 minutes in the crockpot so the beans corn chicken and rice can warm up and blend together.
If the rice causes it to thicken more than you prefer, you can add 1 or 2 cups of water.
Print recipe below.
Crockpot taco rice soup toppings:
- corn chips
- tortilla chips
- cheddar cheese
- dollop of sour cream
- green onions or red onions
- hot sauce
- Meat. You can also make this soup with ground turkey, ground chicken or even chicken breasts. Learn how to make crockpot taco meat in the crockpot and then freeze it.
- Veggies. You can omit and add based on preference. Feel free to reduce the amount of corn if it isn’t your favorite. More yummy ideas include bell peppers.
- Tomatoes. If you need to stretch the meat even more, add a can of diced tomatoes.
- Beans. Pinto beans also taste amazing in this recipe. You can mix several types or use all the same.
- Meat free. Make this soup vegetarian and omit the ground beef and use vegetable broth. You can add a couple extra cans of beans or tomatoes if you prefer.
Can you make this soup on the stovetop?
Yes, you can. Toss all of your ingredients except the rice into a large stock pot. Allow the ingredients to come to a boil over medium heat and turn down to low. Let this simmer for at least an hour to let the flavors blend.
When you are ready to serve, add the rice and blend together. Let this cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes once the rice has been added.
This Taco Soup recipe is that simple.
I just love this idea of cooking once and turning it into two meals without anyone in the family knowing. Cooking once and eating twice is a game changer.
- Cheese Quesadilla. You really don’t need anything extra with this soup but feel free to make a quesadilla. They are quick, easy and perfect for dipping.
How to store leftovers?
Place leftover soup once fully cooled inside an airtight container. This will last in the fridge up to 3 days.
If you need to store the soup longer, put in the freezer up to 4 months. I prefer to use freezer bags because they lay flat and take up less room.
Just make sure whatever you use is airtight. Also, it is really imporant you allow the soup to completely cool first.
Print this crockpot taco soup with rice recipe:
Crock Pot Taco Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef browned
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ onion diced
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can of kidney beans (15 oz can)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- Place all the ingredients except for the rice in a crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-2.5 hours.
- Right before serving stir the rice in the crock pot. Cover and allow the rice to warm up (2-4 minutes).
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More crockpot ground beef soup recipes
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Easy Crockpot Stuffed Peppers Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot Creamy Taco Soup Recipe
Be sure to check out all of our delicious Crock Pot Recipes here.
We can’t seem to get enough soup in this cold weather we are having, Your Taco Rice soup looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
Another great Crock Pot recipe.
This looks like something we would love! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I’m featuring you this week.
Thanks so much!! I can’t wait to see.
Nice change up of a chili recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Such a great way to utilize leftovers and not waste food! But, what’s also nice, it has great flavor!
Loved this one and so did the husband!! Definitely one for the top of the list when fall comes around! So good!
I made with leftover turkey, added a can of Rotella tomatoes and made a pouch of Knorrs Mexican Rice. It was very tasty
That sounds great! Thank you for sharing!
Taco soup was so amazing. It’s just me so I have plenty to put in the freezer for those days that are cold. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I’m so glad you like it. Thank you for commenting.
Do I drain the corn, beans and tomatoes?
Yes, I would recommend draining them.