Did you know that you can freeze rice?? I buy rice in bulk all the time (especially when I get it for free with my coupons. :)). Instead of paying for the overpriced Minute rice I buy regular plain brown rice. It is healthier and much cheaper. Hwoever, I don’t always have the time to wait 40 minutes for rice to cook.
So… I cook double or even triple of what I need and then I freeze the rest. Freezing rice is a huge time and money saver for my family. I get the convenience of boxed “minute” rice without paying the extra money.
How to Freeze Rice and reheat it in minutes.
Basically you need to buy a bag of rice, any rice will do (brown or white). Follow the instructions on the bag. I boiled our rice in homemade chicken stock and water, but you don’t have to. It takes about 20 minutes to cook the white rice and 40 minutes to cook brown rice. Once the rice is cooked, season it to your liking. I always season our rice with garlic salt (yum).
2. Allow the rice to cool completely.
Once the rice is done, allow it to cool completely. This is VERY important. You never want to freeze warm or hot things.
3. Place into individual freeze bags and freeze.
Then separate the rice into individual freezer bags (according to what your family would eat). Label the bags, and place in your freezer. You have now frozen your rice.
How to reheat the rice.
- When you are ready to eat your rice at a future dinner, just pull directly from freezer (no need to thaw). Run some water over the freezer bag to loosen the bag from the frozen rice.
- Dump the rice into a microwave safe container. Place a small amount of water in the dish -approximately a 1/4 cup. Cover.
- Microwave until hot -about 4 to 5 minutes.
Then Enjoy! It is that simple!
Freezing rice will not only save you some money on your monthly grocery bill it will also save you a lot of time in the kitchen! 🙂