This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Make these easy homemade uncrustables for a great lunch idea that kids will love. Skip the store bought version and save money with this freezer friendly recipe.
My kids love uncrustables but they can get pricey. I thought I would try to make these at home and they were a huge hit. Now, the kids ask for homemade uncrustables all the time.
These are so easy to make and they are a HUGE money saver and time saver! You can also make extra and put them in the freezer to save time during the week.
What you need:
- Wonder bread cutter
- Peanut Butter
- Sandwich Baggies
- a Knife for spreading
Seriously it is that easy! You just need a few supplies to make these and you will save a ton of money!
How to make uncrustables perfectly:
If you are thinking about not investing in the bread cutter, I highly suggest that you do buy one. It actually seals the ends of the bread so it won’t get crusty and the jelly won’t leak out.
It is great and totally worth the expense. This gadget gives the uncrustables the look of the store bought version kids love.
In fact, my kids thought they were store bought because they turned out so perfectly. Talk about a mom win! 🙂
The sandwich cutter is so handy and will help seal the edges and seal the sandwich for a mess free ready to eat sandwich.
Add this to your meal plans and save time and money.
How do you make homemade uncrustables?
- Make sure you get bread that is large enough to trim without hitting the crust. You will need 2 pieces of bread for each sandwich. You can use white or wheat bread.
- Spread peanut butter on each slice of the bread, being careful to stay in the center and avoid where the cutting and sealing occurs. By applying the peanut butter to both pieces of bread, you are preventing the sandwich from getting soggy.
- Apply jelly to the middle of one slice. Place the peanut butter only slice on top of the peanut butter and jelly slice (peanut butter side down).
- Place cutter on top of sandwich and press down firmly (make sure crust is completely cut away). Remove crust while cutter is still in place. Make sure you have pressed down completely on the blue center sealing piece.
- Lift off cutter and place sandwich in sandwich bag and place in freezer.
That is it!!
See my live video of me making homemade uncrustables for our freezer:
I told you it is really easy to make! You can do this too!
How to store homemade uncrustables:
I like to flash freeze the uncrustables on a baking sheet and then store them in freezer bags. You can do this individually or put them all in one large bag. Since they were flash frozen, you don’t have to worry about the sandwiches getting stuck together.
How to Thaw Uncrustables:
You can take the Homemade uncrustables from the freezer straight to the lunchbox. Or… you can place in the fridge the night before to thaw.
However, it should thaw by the time your child has lunch at school. I just place them in the lunchbox straight from the freezer and they are nice and cold for my kids.
Make sure you get the kids involved. Ours did the peanut butter and jelly part while mom did the descrusting (is that a word?) part.
We are a great team when we do it together. Plus, we spend time together and made memories.
Now you know how to make uncrustables!
With just a few slices of bread, a sandwich sealer and peanut butter and jelly, these uncrustables come together in minutes.
School lunches will be a breeze when you can just grab one from the freezer bag and pop into lunch boxes.
Homemade Uncrustables are cheap to make!
This idea really does save you money. Uncrustables are really expensive at the store. Plus…. if you are smart like me (hehe!) you will save that extra bread and crusts and make Homemade Croutons! YUM!
Make sure you also check my post on 4 Ways to Save on School Lunches.
If you love copycat recipes, they check out our entire page filled with them here. Here are a few of my favorites:
Print this recipe for homemade uncrustables below:
- 12 Slices Bread
- 1/2 Cup Grape Jelly
- 3/4 Cup Peanut Butter
- Spread peanut butter on all slices of the bread. Stay in the center and don’t worry about the edges. We like to put peanut butter on every slice so that the bread does not get soggy from the jelly.
- Then spread jelly on 6 slices of the bread on top of the peanut butter.
- The put the peanut butter only bread slices on top of the peanut butter and jelly slices of bread.
- Use a sandwich cutter to cut out the center of the bread and to seal the edges. Remove the crust while the cutter is still in place.
- Lift off the cutter. Place each sandwich in an individual sandwich bag and freeze.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy lunch ideas:
- Fun and Easy Lunch Idea – Peanut butter and Jelly Sushi Rolls
- Quick Lunch Idea for Kids – Cookie Cutter Sandwich!
- Lunch Ideas for Kids – Breakfast Sandwiches
- How to make healthy lunchables
- Easy Lunch Idea – Granola Yogurt Parfait
- Hard Boiled Eggs with Cinnamon Sticks
- Homemade Uncrustables from the Freezer
- Baked Chicken Nuggets – Lunch box idea
- Turkey Sandwich Crescent Roll recipe
- How to Pack Tacos in a Lunchbox
- How to Customize your Kids Lunch with Edible Markers!
- Turkey and Cheese Kabob Recipe
Plus you can check out more sandwich ideas for kids.