I’k so excited about a new thing we are doing with making school lunches we have started to make Homemade Uncrustables. These are so easy to make and they are a HUGE money saver and time saver!
What you need:
- Wonder bread cutter
- Peanut Butter
- Sandwich Baggies
- a Knife for spreading
If you are thinking about not investing in the bread cutter, I highly suggest that you do buy one. It actually seals the ends of the bread so it won’t get crusty and the jelly won’t leak out. It is great.
How to make Homemade Uncrustables
- Make sure you get bread that is large enough to trim without hitting the crust. You will need 2 pieces of bread for each sandwich. You can use white or wheat bread.
- Spread peanut butter on each slice of the bread, being careful to stay in the center and avoid where the cutting and sealing occurs. By applying the peanut butter to both pieces of bread, you are preventing the sandwich from getting soggy.
- Apply jelly to the middle of one slice. Place the peanut butter only slice on top of the peanut butter and jelly slice (peanut butter side down).
- Place cutter on top of sandwich and press down firmly (make sure crust is completely cut away). Remove crust while cutter is still in place. Make sure you have pressed down completely on the blue center sealing piece.
- Lift off cutter and place sandwich in sandwich bag and place in freezer.
That is it!!
See my live video of me making homemade uncrustables for our freezer:
I told you it is really easy to make! You can do this too!
How to Thaw Uncrustables:
You can take the Homemade uncrustables from the freezer straight to the lunchbox. Or… you can place in the fridge the night before to thaw. However, it should thaw by the time your child has lunch at school. I just place them in the lunchbox straight from the freezer and they are nice and cold for my kids.
Make sure you get the kids involved. Ours did the peanut butter and jelly part while mom did the descrusting (is that a word?) part. We are a great team when we do it together.
Homemade Uncrustables are cheap to make!
This idea really does save you money. Uncrustables are really expensive at the store. Plus…. if you are smart like me (hehe!) you will save that extra bread and crusts and make Homemade Croutons! YUM!
Make sure you also check my post on 4 Ways to Save on School Lunches.
If you love copycat recipes, they check out our entire page filled with them here. Here are a few of my favorites: