This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn How to Make Homemade Croutons in minutes. These are so easy and much tastier than anything store bought. Give this homemade croutons recipe a try.
Easy Homemade Croutons Recipe:
Homemade Croutons are one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. These actually taste better than the store-bought croutons. Plus, you will save money making them at home.
All you need is loaf of bread, simple seasonings, and oil to make homemade croutons. These croutons are great topped on soups, caesar salad and more.
Try any bread that you like and any seasonings you have on hand. This is my particular favorite flavor combo because Italian croutons are what I always buy anyway. Make these easy croutons from scratch.
Best Bread for Homemade Croutons
Next time you find older bread on sale or find that your bread has gone stale. Buy some to make your homemade croutons.
Any kind of bread will do but I prefer the heartier breads because they make thicker croutons. These are some of our favorites bread for croutons.
- French Bread
- Sourdough Bread
- Italian bread
- Gluten-Free Bread
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Parmesan Cheese
- Sandwich Bread
How to Make Croutons:
- Step 1 – Chop Bread – First, stack the bread and chop vertically and then horizontally twice to get 9 pieces. Try to get it as even as possible but it is ok if it is not exact.
- Step 2 – Cut large or Small – Depending on the size of your bread and how big you want your croutons. You can cut them smaller or larger. You can also use a food processor to cut the bread.
- Step 3 – Combine Seasoning – Next, in a large bowl combine the olive oil, Italian Seasoning and Parmesan Cheese.
- Step 4 – Coat Breadcrumbs – Toss the bread chunks in the bowl until well coated.
- Step 5 – Spread on Baking Sheet – Spread the coated bread pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer. Then bake in oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees to 375 degrees.
- Step 6 – Bake Croutons – This usually takes about 15 minutes but I would keep an eye on them. This can vary based on type of bread or size you cut the croutons.
- Step 7 – Serve – Let the croutons cool and that is it. You are going to love this easy recipe.
This Homemade Croutons Recipe is a base recipe. You can easily change the seasoning or fresh herbs to what you prefer. These are some of our favorite options.
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- Cutting Bread – I like to cut the bread in a bite size pieces or any bread that we use. If you prefer you can cut in large or small pieces.
- Coating Bread – We recommend coating bread completely with the oils and spice.
- Baking Croutons – Cooking time will vary based on your oven and the bread you use. Watch the bread chunks closely while baking. Remove from the oven when they are golden brown.
- Serving – Allow the croutons to rest and cool completely. Then you can serve with your favorite soups and salad.
- Melted Butter – You can even drizzle melted butter over the top before baking.
How to Use Homemade Croutons:
Feel free to use these Homemade Croutons with your favorite soups and salads. These are some of my favorite recipes.
Can I Freeze Homemade Croutons?
Yes, just put the croutons in resealable bag and put in the freezer.
Another option is to put the stale bread cubes in the freezer. Then you will have those whenever you are ready to make croutons.
How to Store Homemade Croutons:
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure to store when the croutons are at room temperature.
How Long do Homemade Croutons last?
The croutons will last for up to 2 weeks if stored properly.
More Cooking from Scratch Recipes:
- How to Make Whipped Cream
- The BEST Homemade Pancake and Waffle Mix
- How to Make a Roux (Cooking Basics)
- Homemade Egg Noodles
Print Homemade Croutons Recipe:
- 6 slices bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Stack bread ( I do 3 at a time) and chop vertically twice and then horizontally twice to come up with 9 relatively even pieces. Depending on the size of your bread and how big you want your croutons you can cut them smaller or larger.
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, Italian Seasoning, and Parmesan cheese, toss bread chunks in bowl until well coated.
- Spread coated bread pieces on a baking sheet and bake in oven that has been preheated to 350° for 15 minutes or until browned.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe