This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crockpot chicken wild rice soup is the easiest toss and go meal. The slow cooker does all of the work for an easy weeknight meal. Tender chicken and flavorful rice make a hearty soup sure to satisfy everyone.
Crockpot chicken wild rice soup
This tasty recipe is so easy and one of our favorite meals to enjoy during a busy week. It is so very simple and we all enjoy this soup.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup is full of delicious carrots, rice, chicken and more. It reminds me of classic chicken soup but with tender rice that takes this recipe to a delicious new level.
The rice really makes it a filling meal perfect for even big eaters.
Also, since everything gets thrown into the slow cooker dinner is super easy. You will love coming home to dinner ready and waiting.
Easy meals like this amazing soup help get dinner on the table without any stress. You can actually sit and enjoy a nice meal with your family without a ton of work.
Let’s get started.
- Chicken breasts make this filling. You can substitute chicken thighs. If you have leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken, this is a great soup to use leftovers. Just add the leftover chicken once the rice is cooked.
- Onion – The onion gives the broth so much flavor.
- Celery stalks. This is optional but I like to dice the celery really fine so the kids don’t notice.
- Minced garlic – Garlic powder and fresh garlic can also be used.
- Salt and pepper
- dried thyme. Poultry seasoning can be used instead of thyme.
- bay leaf
- chicken broth
- Wild rice-brown rice blend. White rice is good as well. Just make sure to use regular rice and not instant or it will be very mushy.
How to make crockpot chicken wild rice soup
1. First, place all of the ingredients into the crock pot. It is really that simple. You can also add mushrooms to the soup if you prefer.
2. Then cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Just remember to adjust the cooking time if using leftover cooked chicken.
3. Before serving, remove the chicken and shred it. Then put the chicken mixture into the slow cooker and stir it all together.
Salt and pepper to taste the slow cooker chicken and rice.
Jump to recipe below with all the details. It is super easy.
Can you put wild rice in slow cooker?
Yes. The rice gets slow cooked to perfection in the slow cooker. Plus, the rice gets infused with all the delicious flavors.
This is one of our favorite soup recipes.
How do you make creamy chicken and wild rice soup?
You can add cream of chicken soup for a change to this recipe if you would like to make creamy chicken soup. It is delicious both ways.
Creamy chicken and wild rice soup recipe is comfort food at its best. Another option is to add ½ cup heavy creamy to make creamy chicken soup.
This can be stirred in 30 minutes prior to serving.
Can you make this in advance?
Yes, this soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge. Just make sure to store using an airtight conainer.
To reheat the soup, use the microwave or stove top on medium heat until heated through.
This is convenient for quick dinners during the week or for lunch. If you find the soup is getting to thick, add more chicken broth to thin it out.
Can You Freeze Crock Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
Yes, you can. It is an easy freezer friendly recipe.
Because the rice tends to soak up the broth, I prefer to freeze this prior to cooking. Just place all of the uncooked ingredients except the broth into a freezer bag.
You can freeze this up to 6 months. When you are ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge.
Then place in the crockpot and add the broth. Cook as normal.
To freeze cooked soup, allow to cool and freeze in containers or bags that are freezer safe. You may need to add more chicken broth when ready to reheat.
I typically don’t serve it with anything because it has the rice in it.
However, if you prefer to eat with crackers feel free. Another idea is to serve it with 30 minute dinner rolls.
You can dip the bread into the delicious broth.
This is the best crock pot chicken rice soup.
It is the best comfort food and packed with tons of flavor. The tender chunks of chicken with the carrots and rice make an amazing home style meal that can’t be beat.
This recipe is so easy that you will want to cook it frequently. Enjoy this delicious and gluten free meal.
- I use a hand mixer to shred the chicken faster. It is so easy and one of my best time saving kitchen tips. You can also use 2 forks but I prefer using my mixer.
- Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions for this soup. Learn and how to freeze onions and just toss and go for this recipe.
- I love to use a programmable crock pot for when I am am not at home all day. It is so convenient to come home to a nice meal ready and waiting
- Crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time making slow cooker chicken soup.
- Veggies. This recipe is easy to adapt for what you have on hand and what you like. Feel free to add extra carrots or add mushrooms. Make this soup your own and customize it to your preference.
Print easy crockpot chicken and wild rice soup recipe:
Crock pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot.
- then cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Rice should be done around the same time. Shred chicken then stir back into soup and serve
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe